Sai or Tonfa?

Posted by: Anonymous

Sai or Tonfa? - 01/25/05 07:56 AM

My Karate club does not teach any weapons. im really interested in learning either sais or tonfa but i will have to teach myself eg books and dvds etc. Which do you think would be better to learn, im really into katas so id like to be able to learn lots of interesting ones. Of course if anyone can suggest another weapon that they feel would be good to learn please say, Jutte looks interesting but i just dont know. help. Alonzo
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Sai or Tonfa? - 01/25/05 12:27 PM

Have you thought of joining up with another club that does teach weapons? It's really hard to learn correct MA skills from books and dvds, and nothing can replace a good instructor.

I'd learn bo for a start because there are many kata with bo, plus it is a great weapon to work with! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Sai or Tonfa? - 01/25/05 06:10 PM

First find a school like Reiki said. Secound dont try to learn alot of weapons kata. I personally prefer the sai's they are a very effective weapon.

Re: Sai or Tonfa? - 02/16/05 12:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alonzo Nixsa:
My Karate club does not teach any weapons. im really interested in learning either sais or tonfa but i will have to teach myself eg books and dvds etc. Which do you think would be better to learn, im really into katas so id like to be able to learn lots of interesting ones. Of course if anyone can suggest another weapon that they feel would be good to learn please say, Jutte looks interesting but i just dont know. help. Alonzo[/QUOTE]

i would say the sai.any single hand moves that you do in karate you cand do with a sai. my shotokan karate club does not teach weapons but i brought my nunchukus to my sense and he showed me how to use them!!

Re: Sai or Tonfa? - 02/16/05 03:50 PM

I will say tonfa. I have been teaching myself Tonfa for about three years now, and they are amazing to work with. The basic techniques are based off of normal strikes and blocks, while the advanced techniques are more specialized to the weapon. The spinning and trapping techniques are very rewarding to learn, as well as being very effective (if you believe that weapons have a practical use now). Finally, training with tonfa increase your hand and arm strength and dexterity a lot, and will help your unarmed technique.