Chinese Weapons questions

Posted by: Anonymous

Chinese Weapons questions - 12/20/04 07:28 AM

I have a question that hopefully some of you know the answer to... What is the purpose of the flag and/or tassles on chinese weapons?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Chinese Weapons questions - 12/20/04 10:23 AM

Hi,

I'm aware of several purposes for the tassels.

First they can distract the opponent if they watch it, that may be useful in fighting.

Second, the highest skill with the weapon rquires you do not allow the tassle to wrap around your wrist. If during execution you do so, it shows you weren't in control of the weapon properly.

Third, it looks good in public.

Victor Smith
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Chinese Weapons questions - 12/30/04 11:05 AM

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think I recall hearing that,depending on the placement of the tassel of course, it also served to absorb enemy blood so that it wouldn't run down to the handle and affect grip.

Don't remember for sure where I heard this one...

Re: Chinese Weapons questions - 12/30/04 01:20 PM

tassels are generally not used to absorb blood. However, some Broadswords come with bits of colored cloth hanging from the end that serve that purpose. Tassles are mainly there for showmanship and skill.

Re: Chinese Weapons questions - 01/06/05 10:59 AM

The tassles at the end of handles on Chinese swords are nothing more than decoration. They have no practical purpose for Chinese swords.

The tassle on the spear head of a Chinese spear is to soak up the blood that's from the spear head stabbing and cutting. The tassle on the spear is to keep the blood from leaking down the shaft. Cause if blood leaked onto the shaft, then the shaft of the spear will get slipperly to hold onto and you will lose your spear in the mist of battle.

[This message has been edited by Walter Wong (edited 01-06-2005).]