Tai Chi Weapons

Posted by: Anonymous

Tai Chi Weapons - 12/17/04 01:47 PM

What kinds of weapons are used in tai chi besides the straight sword (gim)? and what is the purpose of it being so flexible near the end

(I tried this in the sword forum and no one replied, so that's why I posted here. )

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/18/04 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Force_Sith:
What kinds of weapons are used in tai chi besides the straight sword (gim)? and what is the purpose of it being so flexible near the end

(I tried this in the sword forum and no one replied, so that's why I posted here. )
[/QUOTE]

Historically, most fighting jians were not flexible. The newer ones are made from wushu steel and are generally for demonstration purposes (the flex does make a boring form exciting with some speed). Some chinese weapons are pretty flexible, but I think the reasoning behind this was that if something bends, it won't break. As far as your other question, I don't know of any Tai Chi weapons other than the sword and the cane.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/18/04 06:41 PM

Tai Chi weapons depend on the lineage. I'm aware some do staff, spear, sabre as well as sword.

On the whole the Chinese consider spear the 2nd most complex weapon system and the straight sword the most complex one.

The straight sword doesn't slash like the sabre, instead it is drawn across the target. The control is all in the wrist and to do it correctly with tai chi is consierable work.

But the tai chi sword technique is identical to other Chinese sword technique. The difference other styles uses many, many forms and most tai chi uses one or two, so there's less to work on, but to work the sword within tai chi is not a simple task.

Victor Smith

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/18/04 07:08 PM

Interesting. Are most tai chi sword forms slow or fast?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/18/04 07:31 PM

In the Yang style training I received, the sword form is done faster than normal Yang form, but slower than normal Chinese sword training.

The goal, in simple answer, in Tai Chi is to work the sword in conjunction to the rest of the bodies movement. This takes a great deal of wrist coordination. The study of the sword isn't for weapons usage, rather, IMO, to further develop your body control.

I also am of the presonal opinion, the reason the Chinese kept the old weapons (after discovering gunpowder) was to use them for body development, sort of a focused weight program.

Victor Smith

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/18/04 07:51 PM

Interesting. I am going to learn something called the Bodiharma sword form. Ever heard of it?
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/20/04 11:44 AM

Hi

I train in the HK Yang (Yeung) lineage from Yang Sau Chung to his daughters and we use the double edged sword, broadsword, spear and pole. The nature of the 2 swords are very different with the double edge often being applied using a pulse from the feet through the waist and wrist in quite subtle movements (thus often called 'scholars sword') and the broadsword being fired from footwork 'off' the body in multi directional ways as if in battlefield scenario (thus 'soldiers sword').

Spear and pole use the same form and the body movements seem to be to extend the technique long range.

Speed seems to vary according to whatever 'layer' we're working on and as each layer is applied to the hand form it's extended to weapons - and their usage helps to understand the hand form better, but they are often performed very fast when principles have been absorbed.

Hope this helps

Re: Tai Chi Weapons - 12/20/04 12:50 PM

Cool. Thank you very much