Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan?

Posted by: Anonymous

Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/05/04 07:58 PM

I've always used hardwood, but I want to try something light and fast. What's the best? I know rattan is probably lightest, but I've had problems with inconsistent rod weight. Any suggestions?

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/05/04 11:56 PM

Graphite all the way. You'll be glad you did. Acrylic will break on a hard surface, and rattan is a bit too light to be effective. Aluminum handles pretty good, though it weighs a bit more than graphite.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/06/04 09:36 AM

Thanks, Sifu. I usually order over the internet which unfortunately means that there's no way to know quite what I'm getting until it's too late. Also, I have aluminum chucks, but their weight is substantially greater than even my heavy hardwoods.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/06/04 12:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ottorotciv:
Thanks, Sifu. I usually order over the internet which unfortunately means that there's no way to know quite what I'm getting until it's too late. Also, I have aluminum chucks, but their weight is substantially greater than even my heavy hardwoods. [/QUOTE]

I prefer hardwood personally. Just work your forearms, wrists, and grip out a lot and they will be just as fast, only deadlier. I have a decent forearm program that's excellent for fencing and nunchaku/chain whip use. My forearms are 13" around and my biceps are about 15 1/2"(Popeye style, lol). If your interested in the details, I 'll tell you how I did it. It works great for grapplers too.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/06/04 02:34 PM

Heh heh heh...You've got me beat in overall size, sifu, but I've got you beat on the popeye ratio:
12 1/2" forearms, 13 1/2" biceps.

Olive Oil, eat your heart out!

Seriously, though, I agree that hardwood is the best for single form, but for double nunchaku form, it's nice to have that extra speed, don't you think?

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/08/04 05:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ottorotciv:
Seriously, though, I agree that hardwood is the best for single form, but for double nunchaku form, it's nice to have that extra speed, don't you think?[/QUOTE]

I find double nunchaku techniques aren't that practical anyway. You rule out many stikes because of your inability to pass the spin. Besides, in a real match, it's bad enough keeping an eye on your opponent, without having to control two independent high velocity spinning objects that want your blood, lol. For showing off, sure, twin chucks are great, but for actual fighting, I'd take a nice oversized set of hardwood chucks (16" handles) any day. Anyways, if you want the fastest for twin applications, go with rattan. Lighter=faster. Peace out.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/08/04 09:56 PM

Thanks for your input, sifu. Let me tell you that from what you say, you seem like a practitioner who favors substance over style, and I respect that. I see so many people training with nunchaku like they aren't holding a weapon, but some kind of spinning toy. Some can do arial throws, acrobatics and wrist wrolls left and right, but clearly have nothing practical.

I must say, however, I believe you are too quick to discount the value of double nunchaku training. I trained solely with a single nunchaku for 11 years, and in the past 2 years have begun double training. It has put me on the faster road to complete ambidexterity, and the difference it makes for timing and rythm is remarkable. I also believe that in terms of self defense it is quite effective if one is conservative, smart and doesn't try to do anything too complex, though having never tried it out in the real world I admit I can only speculate. I would remind you of Musashi, the great samurai, whose belief it was that if one possessed 2 swords, then with 2 swords they should fight. He believed that only a fool would die without having drawn all of his weapons.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/09/04 07:57 PM

Sure, two weapons are better than one in most respects, but if the weapon requires both hands to control it, you could be at a disadvantage with a twin weapon. Ask any kendo practicioner. Just wait 'till your chucks get tangled together, lol. Then You will see my point. It's great to be able to control two weapons at once (this was a large focus of my weapons training), but how are you going to block that sidekick to the groin if you have to tend to two moving objects at once (I've studied a bit of psychology. It's true what they say about walking and chewing gum at the same time, lol)? I've done hours of real sparring with foam chucks, and I can honestly say that the guy with one pair always wins.

Re: Lght Wght Chucks: Graphite, Acrylic or Rattan? - 12/10/04 03:44 PM

You make a good point. As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to post this as a topic, I'd like to see what input other people have on it. Thanks for all the good stuff.