weapons- complementary?

Posted by: Anonymous

weapons- complementary? - 12/05/04 03:02 PM

Hi,
I have very little weapons experience, but have trained in Shotokan karate for 11 years. Our club is having a permenant dojo open in April, and we may be having an Iaido instructor start a club. What I'd like to know is does learning a weapon art complement an art like karate, or is it like 'the farmer that chases 2 rabbits'you reach a plateau and can't advance while doing both? I'd be interested in any opinions. Thanks.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: weapons- complementary? - 12/05/04 03:43 PM

Most any weapons training can help. Learning weapons is a good way to develop hand eye coordination, timing, distance and rhythm. It also helps with footwork. Iaido can be very slow going and frustrating at times but it is well worth it.

It could very well help you gain a deeper understanding of shotokan.

Re: weapons- complementary? - 12/06/04 07:35 AM

Thanks a lot, I think I will start learning it- it may be fum to learn something right from the basics again!!!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: weapons- complementary? - 12/06/04 12:11 PM

Any weapons training will only help to improve your open handed skills further. Plus its a lot of fun and you are able to take your training onto higher things.

I'd go for it and learn at least to work with a bo and sticks and definitely learn Iaido if you can. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

We are doing a whole lot of work with bokken and katana now and I'm really enjoying it.

Re: weapons- complementary? - 12/08/04 01:40 AM

Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to it, one more questions though, is it expensive to get started?