Nunchaku

Posted by: Anonymous

Nunchaku - 11/14/04 06:05 PM

For some reason I cannot find any store online that will ship nunchaku (including foam/rubber) to Canada. If anyone knows of any retailers that sell nunchaku in Canada..could you please let me know? Also, what do you think are the best to start with (other than foam/rubber)??

Re: Nunchaku - 11/14/04 07:14 PM

Hmm off hand I cant think of any retailers. As far as what to start with, I started with real nunchaku. HEHEH those things cracking you in a wrong way is motivation to not mess up. however I would go with the heavier of the two. It dont really matter when you start with real ones the dynamics will be different and you will basically have to learn all over again.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/14/04 08:23 PM

well yes, there will be an increase in weight when I switch over to wooden ones but remember, I am a total beginner to these and to get the movements down correctly id rather use a dense rubber incase I strike the back of my head or other body part when practicing. Besides, they are a decent investment, considering they are only about 6 dollars (chained, not corded.) I just can't find any retailer that will ship them to Canada or sell from here.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/14/04 10:56 PM

I see your point if your just beginning rubber is best. I also have problems with retailers I study several arts and often times its hard to find a place that delivers fast and at a reasonable price. Usually when I order something even just a book it can take up to 5 months to arrive its really frustrating.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/15/04 09:21 AM

well if you cant find any sites that send to canada then maybe canada has outlawed nunchakus, i would check and see if there are any restrictions on nunchucks in canada and if you cant find anything on that then theres always ebay.com some other websites that MIGHT have what your looking for are www.gungfu.com www.centuryma.com
also you could go to www.google.com and type in Nunchaku sales to canada or something of the same likeness and see what comes up, i hope this helps you out.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/15/04 11:05 AM

yes, wooden and metal ones have been outlawed in Canada..but apparently rubber/foam ones are still able to be sold here. I have found a couple retailers online that have them up...so hopefully ill get some without any hassles.

[This message has been edited by digital_samurai (edited 11-15-2004).]

Re: Nunchaku - 11/20/04 03:53 PM

try www.tigerstrike.com if I am not mistaken they are located in canada. As for the best nunchaku to start with it really it a toss up. I don't recomend foam ones for a few reasons.

-the handles have a tendancy to slide off
-When you hit yourself with the foam chucks you will have a tendancy to keep swinging without starting over. Wood chucks will motivate you to practice until the teqnique is perfect.
-You can't practice "loaded" strikes with foam chucks "loaded" strikes are moves that allow you to "charge" you muscles power and release it like a spring, very fast and powerful.
I recomend buying two pairs, Rattan with a chain and hardwood with a rope. Rattan is very light and really doesnt hurt that bad. I recomend the hardwood with rope because a rope has a cleaner feel and can help you to perfect your mechanics.

When you do get a pair remember, repitition is the absolute key to success. Don't get bored learning basic cross strikes and other simple moves, the basic moves are the key to nunchuck use in combat.
http://www.na-games.com/Movies/smallerchuckdemo_1.mpg

Here is a flashy demo of me, not too much basics in here, but trust me, I am very familiar with the basics.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/21/04 07:40 PM

thanks for the pointers..but I think that tigerstrike.com is based out of california [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] I would love to get a set of real nunchaku to practice with, but im 99.9% sure that no Canadian retailer sells them due to them being illegal. Also because of that, I don't think ordering real ones from the states would work either when crossing the border. I will have to make due with the rubber/foam ones for now.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/21/04 10:24 PM

you could try making your own. as long as you got some rope, hardwood, a chizle, a drill, and a saw, you can do it. I have made my own pair, they are decent. You may want to check the legaility for the area you are in first.

Re: Nunchaku - 11/21/04 10:31 PM

yeah they are really not that hard to make.

IF they are illegal, I know that in the states you can get a license to own them, so you might be able to check that out. I nunchuck is no more deadly than a pool ball in a sock, am I right?

If all else fails maybe you should buy a pack of tube socks and a set of pool balls. Then you could make your own fighting style up, hell it really isnt that bad of an idea. If you take two socks put a ball in each one and tie them together you have a badass weapon right there. Another alternative is rope and a large pad lock.

Re: Nunchaku - 12/16/04 02:40 PM

theres always a place that will sell anything i dont kno where you live in canada but see if you can find anything about the store heros army surplus

nunchucks are also easy to make i made a pair just yesterday