fighting sarong

Posted by: Anonymous

fighting sarong - 11/07/04 12:09 PM

Has anyone here learned how to use the sarong? or does anyone have any info on it, it looks like an interesting weapon. thanks alot

Re: fighting sarong - 11/07/04 08:51 PM

Are you sure you spelled that right? I did a google search for images of a "sarong" and came up with several (quite good-looking) women wearing weird skirts.

Re: fighting sarong - 11/07/04 09:17 PM

I dunno about the sarong, but the barong of the Filipino Moros is a short sword/long knife with brutal cutting potential...
Posted by: Reiki

Re: fighting sarong - 11/08/04 01:54 AM

you are right that a sarong is a type of dress, usually made from a simple piece of cloth similar to a sari which is draped and pelated and tied about the body.

I reckon I could choke someone out quite nicely using a sarong - or any other item of clothing as a matter of fact... clothing is a good weapon for choking out on.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] but of course this is probably not what you meant!

Did you mean balisong?

Re: fighting sarong - 11/08/04 08:10 AM

no i meant sarong, it aparently was an indian piece of clothing that the warriors used as kind of a "Third Arm" in their fights, they would wrap an end around each hand and with that they could block punches and kicks, they could also use it as a trapping device, i was just wondering if anyone here had ever been trained to use it, i thought it was interesting because i never really considered clothing a weapon (outside of belts or spikey bracelets) and its pretty cool how many uses you could find for it

Re: fighting sarong - 11/08/04 08:22 AM

clips one through five on this page show some people using the sarong,
http://www.impactacademy.com/catalog/

looks pretty easy to learn but since all those videos are of them going slow its hard to tell
Posted by: Reiki

Re: fighting sarong - 11/08/04 02:22 PM

ok so I was right. A sarong [or any other piece of cloth for that matter] makes an excellent weapon to choke out on, or to apply holds or restraints.

In some of the BJJ seminars I've done with John Will we use clothing such as the teeshirt to choke out on, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Goes along the lines of "anything is a weapon". Take what you need and use it.

Re: fighting sarong - 11/09/04 08:56 AM

thanks for all the replies just one more question though.Is it really true that wet cloth is almost impossible to break? i saw shanghai noon and that once upon a time in china movie so im guessing its real but ive never tried it
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: fighting sarong - 12/01/04 01:52 PM

If oldman were here he'd tell you that fighting is sowrong.

Re: fighting sarong - 12/03/04 09:56 PM

There are actually at least 2 kinds of 'sarong' as used in South-east Asia --one for wearing for both men and women as a kind of wraparound 'skirt' and one for just drapping on the shoulders, which as worn by females is called a 'selendang'

Sarong is not a primary combat weapon. You are not going to unwrap your 'skirt' to fight, are you? It may even be misinterpretted. It is usually the 'selendang' (in the Thai, Burmese cultures, it is called differently) which comes in useful in an emergency. In the rural areas, it is used as a blanket, carrying babies, etc.

In combat, it is used for distraction, restraining, hiding a small weapon. It is an art in itself.

Re: fighting sarong - 12/06/04 09:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ButterflyPalm:
There are actually at least 2 kinds of 'sarong' as used in South-east Asia --one for wearing for both men and women as a kind of wraparound 'skirt' and one for just drapping on the shoulders, which as worn by females is called a 'selendang'

Sarong is not a primary combat weapon. You are not going to unwrap your 'skirt' to fight, are you? It may even be misinterpretted. It is usually the 'selendang' (in the Thai, Burmese cultures, it is called differently) which comes in useful in an emergency. In the rural areas, it is used as a blanket, carrying babies, etc.

In combat, it is used for distraction, restraining, hiding a small weapon. It is an art in itself.
[/QUOTE]

Haha, unwrap the skirt, drop the baby, it's GO-TIME!