About kicking

Posted by: Anonymous

About kicking - 11/05/04 11:08 AM

I also posted this on the MA talk, but it degenerated into a debate about kicking and its place in street self-defense. I would like to make it clear that I did NOT say that kicking is useless, only that it is not AS USEFUL as punching/hand work. Here's the question:

Kicks are not as useful as punches in a self-defense situation, that is clear. Another thing that seems clear is that traditional martial arts (often) still employed kicking, and even high kicking. If need be, correct those premises.

Could the use of kicks be tied to the melee weapons of the day? Since the hands were often holding a weapon, and the eyes of one's opponent had to track those deadly hands, kicks would seem very prudent. Does the use of melee weapons drastically change the way kicks are used?

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people who have taken weapon arts, but anyone else who has a theory is of course welcome to chime in.
Posted by: cxt

Re: About kicking - 11/05/04 12:34 PM

Foolsgold

Like I said before.

A kick or kicking is like any other technique, useful in some situations--not so much in others--useless in some.

Case in point--is an upper cut a "useful" technique in a fight.

Depends--do you have the chance to throw one?

Is the person set up for one?

Can you throw a good one?

Do you have the time to throw it?

Are you fast enough to get it in?

These are questions effct all techniques--hand or foot.

In general terms--I agree, I think its generally safer to use your hands than feet.

But I would be very, very, very, careful about going from a general to an absolute statment.

Weither its "as useful" or not depends on the people and the situation.

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 11-05-2004).]

[This message has been edited by cxt (edited 11-05-2004).]
Posted by: Stampede

Re: About kicking - 11/13/04 07:33 AM

I would kick depending entirely on three things:

1) The surface I'm on
2) The type of weapon my attacker has
3) My ability to keep an attacker at a range sufficient to all straight kicks to the legs

Re: About kicking - 11/19/04 09:14 PM

I kick when sparring with weapons, but far more conservatively than when hand to hand sparring. I find my kicks are a lot lower when using longer weapons, and they often cover a lot more ground than in a normal match (out of necesity). The smaller the weapon, the more (and higher) I kick usually. I find kicks are most useful when you're locked up with your opponent's weapon (when using sticks/swords). Often that split-second of stun is all you need to get through their defenses.

Re: About kicking - 11/27/04 04:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. My bad for not noticing earlier, I am sorry for being inconsiderate.