Stick fighting

Posted by: Reiki

Stick fighting - 09/22/04 07:12 PM

ok, who else here does arnis, kali, escrima or other stick work??

We do arnis with free sparring as well as numerous disarms and sinawali and some other more interesting stuff related more to sword work.

Lately we have been incorporating the use of the sword [bokken] into our stick work and it has been very interesting to work at a longer weapon length and to take more precautions for the blade than a normal stick in parrying and defending against strikes! I really enjoy the sword work and it is fast becoming one of my favourite weapons.

What sort of sticks to people prefer?

I have now switched from hardwood to rattan sticks because I had problems with the hardwood sticks disintigrating and splintering, it is not fun at all when u get splinters in your hands.

I could have my arm twisted to try kamagong however, if I could find a way of getting them into the country.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Stick fighting - 09/22/04 07:55 PM

Have you tried sparring with bo?

Re: Stick fighting - 09/22/04 11:47 PM

Absolutely! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

It's great fun but I would suggest its a good idea to kit up really well with protective gear! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I am still suffering from a sore knuckle from someone's hardwood stick during a stick fight and it is nearly 2mths after I got hit.

I now wear sparring gloves.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Stick fighting - 09/24/04 01:43 PM

I practice Jodo which is basically using the 4 foot staff against the bokken, so most of the practice is 2 man forms.

Re: Stick fighting - 09/24/04 08:45 PM

Reiki,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reiki:
ok, who else here does arnis, kali, escrima or other stick work??[/QUOTE]

I train in Filipino eskrima (Inosanto Blend), as well as Western fencing of the French school (escrime).

[QUOTE]We do arnis with free sparring as well as numerous disarms and sinawali and some other more interesting stuff related more to sword work.

Lately we have been incorporating the use of the sword [bokken] into our stick work and it has been very interesting to work at a longer weapon length and to take more precautions for the blade than a normal stick in parrying and defending against strikes! I really enjoy the sword work and it is fast becoming one of my favourite weapons.[/QUOTE]

You should treat your FMA sticks as swords too, as that is what they're supposed to ultimately represent anyway (ie., bolos, talibongs, krises, etc), in addition to being weapons in their own right.

[QUOTE]What sort of sticks to people prefer?[/QUOTE]

We use 28" rattan sticks at our school.

[QUOTE]I have now switched from hardwood to rattan sticks because I had problems with the hardwood sticks disintigrating and splintering, it is not fun at all when u get splinters in your hands.[/QUOTE]

Forget the splinters in your hands--you should be more concerned about the danger of wood splinters or chips going into your eyes. That is why rattan is better.

[QUOTE]I could have my arm twisted to try kamagong however, if I could find a way of getting them into the country.[/QUOTE]

You can probably get kamagong sticks from Kris Cutlery.

Peace,

A_M_P

Re: Stick fighting - 09/25/04 02:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Armed_Man_Piker:

You should treat your FMA sticks as swords too, as that is what they're supposed to ultimately represent anyway (ie., bolos, talibongs, krises, etc), in addition to being weapons in their own right.

[/QUOTE]

That's what we teach our students, the techniques used for stick and sword are basically are the same in our system [its based on the now deceased Master Remy Presas's Modern Arnis system].

Re: Stick fighting - 09/28/04 03:52 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if the rattan sticks for arnis, do they come in longer lengths, and widths?? Bo sizes?? Read on.......

Recently, at a weapons training seminar my Sahbaumnim (Sensei) was demonstrating Staff techniques with a fellow Master, unfortunately during the course of their fight his Bo broke. This Bo was given to him by his own Master about 30 years ago, it is unlike any I have seen before. It isn't a hardwood staff, instead it is made up of many fibers of bamboo, and has a length of about 2 meters (six feet more or less with about a 1 1/2 to 2" diameter) and is very springy, so that when you hit a surface it has a bounce to it.
I was hoping someone here would have information on where to find a staff like this, so that we would be able to get a new one for our Sahbumnim (Sensei) Even though the new one won't have all the years of chi (ki) energy stored in it, it would be nice to be able to give him this gift. Any information would be appreciated!!

Cheers and Kom Sa hom ni da

Re: Stick fighting - 09/28/04 08:27 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Sensei's bo breaking. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

It sounds like it is made of rattan like some of mine.

Rattan is a type of grass like bamboo and weapons made from it are usually nice and springy to handle and are a bit lighter than ones made of oak or other hardwoods. I have some sticks made from it too and they are very nice to hit with!

Some of the MA shops have rattan weapons, so you will need to check them out. I hope you can find a good replacement.

YOu could also try this place: http://www.bloodsport.com/product.htm for sticks and rattan bo. I am told these guys are quite good to deal with but haven't bought anything off them myself.

Re: Stick fighting - 09/29/04 10:06 AM

*sigh* ive always wanted to do Arnis... but Kenjutsu caught my eye first.

Re: Stick fighting - 10/04/04 07:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ki-karma:
Hello all,

I was wondering if the rattan sticks for arnis, do they come in longer lengths, and widths?? Bo sizes?? Read on.......

Recently, at a weapons training seminar my Sahbaumnim (Sensei) was demonstrating Staff techniques with a fellow Master, unfortunately during the course of their fight his Bo broke. This Bo was given to him by his own Master about 30 years ago, it is unlike any I have seen before. It isn't a hardwood staff, instead it is made up of many fibers of bamboo, and has a length of about 2 meters (six feet more or less with about a 1 1/2 to 2" diameter) and is very springy, so that when you hit a surface it has a bounce to it.
I was hoping someone here would have information on where to find a staff like this, so that we would be able to get a new one for our Sahbumnim (Sensei) Even though the new one won't have all the years of chi (ki) energy stored in it, it would be nice to be able to give him this gift. Any information would be appreciated!!

Cheers and Kom Sa hom ni da
[/QUOTE]

K-k,

If the staff isn't made of hardwood, then it has to be either bamboo or rattan. These two substances bear a superficial resemblance on the outside (ie., they have nodes), but inside they are considerably different. Both are light, but bamboo is hollow, whereas rattan is solid--made up of thousands of fibers. Rattan is far stronger than wood, due to its flexibilty. Flexibility is important in a staff weapon, and that would explain why, in Europe at least, ash was favored over oak (it is both lighter and stronger, yet still hard-hitting).

The only thing about your description that sounds a bit odd is the staff breaking outright. Rattan typically won't just break, but it will soften up and take on a fibrous, almost rope-like consistency, the more it is banged around. What I mean is, it won't normally crack or splinter like wood will. However, when a rattan stick or staff "starts to go", there will usually come a point where you will notice it, and it will eventually become unusable.

Rattan has long been favored in the East, for the sticks used in eskrima and arnis. It is also the material of choice for the Indian lathi. Interestingly, the Medieval and Renaissance Venetians imported rattan into Europe (they called it canne d'India), and they used it for their infamous Guerra di canne ("War of the sticks") competitions. IIRC, some Chinese staves and spears are also made from rattan.

Cold Steel offers thick rattan staves in up to 6-foot lengths, or at least they used to. Check out their website.

[This message has been edited by Armed_Man_Piker (edited 10-04-2004).]
Posted by: mcgee

Re: Stick fighting - 10/04/04 10:13 AM

Check out the dog brothers there a little crazy but know there stuff. http://www.dogbrothers.com/
Check there promo video, Full contact stick fighting.

Re: Stick fighting - 10/30/04 05:13 PM

Those guys are crazy!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Stick fighting - 05/04/05 08:56 AM

I have recently taken up Filipino arts. I practice Kali and Panantukan, also Doce Pares eskrima. I have to say that I find it addictive, it is an awesome feeling when you start to build speed and power into the drill patterns. The unarmed (panantukan) is also fantastic for focusing your balance and footwork in close quarter situations. I love these arts like a fat kid loves cake
You can check out my school at www.cambridgemartialarts.co.uk I am finding it an excellent environment, and the instruction is top notch, If you are in Cambs. UK and interested in Filipino arts i recommend them.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Stick fighting - 05/20/05 12:19 AM

I do, but I note this thread is from 3 years ago.

Rattan sticks are preferable for practice - for that precise reason...

Swords do require a different distance (ma-ai). But remember that kali/eskrima were initially developed by the Filipinos for using common jungle household bladed implements like daggers, parangs and machettes, to repel the Spanish conquistadors.

A friend of mine whom I used to train with, spent many years with Carlos Navarro, GM/Founder of Black Eagle Escrima. He used to recount stories of the old man (not sure if he's still alive), when teaching techniques, saying things like "break hand, break hand, break leg, break face".... nice!