Lead leg forward or what works for you

Posted by: GreenStang511

Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/13/10 11:26 AM

What is everyones opinion on this?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/13/10 11:35 AM

Whatever works is good. Either way can work.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/13/10 04:43 PM

Okay. So I'm dense. How can you lead with the back leg?
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/13/10 05:12 PM

A Jedi you are not ummmm?

I think he means strong side forward.

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/13/10 05:13 PM

Haha, I think he means do you favor having your "power side" hand forward (nearest the opponent, Bruce Lee style), or back (boxing style).

EDIT -

Damn you kimo. Beat me by 1 minute. You'll pay for this. Oh yes......you'll pay. [/scary music]

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/14/10 12:19 AM

That's exactly it! I mean JKD is not a "style" in the same sense as what others practice but for some reason if you don't have your strong side forward you just ain't doin' it right. But then if you take what JKD is all about it would seem that if that doesn't work for you then discard it for what does. Me being a righty just feel plain awkward in south paw stance. I do train both sides but still feel like i should force myself to keep strong side forward. Ugg!!!
Posted by: Mark Jordan

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/16/10 03:32 AM

Here's an info about boxing: The boxing footwork begins with the lead leg forward. From this position the boxer is able to move from side to side, semi circle or shuffles forward and back. BTW, the lead leg is opposite of the boxer's dominant hand. This stance of putting the lead leg forward provides stability if done properly. Now, I wonder if that goes the same with MA becuase in my opinion I will still go with whatever works.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/16/10 09:10 AM

That sounds like what was confusing me. I'm into Aikido where hand and foot go together, like a pacing horse. Where power comes from the hips, not the arms or legs.

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/16/10 09:33 AM

Power isn't the whole issue. Speed and movement also count as factors in footwork.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/16/10 01:02 PM

Quote:
Where power comes from the hips, not the arms or legs.

Doesn't power come from all 3? I mean, you can say it's generated from the hips, but that is only part of the equation. I don't think power generation changes from art to art, details might but it's like taking different paths to the same place.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/21/10 04:24 AM

I say learn to use both effectively. I personally favor the boxing approach of strong side back but I switch it up a lot to be deceptive. People tend to get extremely confused when you suddenly switch your lead.

Re: Lead leg forward or what works for you - 08/24/10 11:26 AM

Yes I agree that it is best to work both sides to get some sort of equality. At least you will have yet another item in your arsenal that they may not be expecting.