Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation

Posted by: LifesFist

Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation - 01/17/10 06:48 AM

How many of You concern JKD as a way towards personal liberation?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation - 02/13/10 10:34 AM

I cant believe no one responded here. The Very core concept of JKD is personal liberation, and exploration. Perhaps there arent as many JKD practitioners as they would like to believe here.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation - 02/13/10 10:56 AM

I consider education; JKD, martial arts in general, and otherwise, to be personal liberation.
Posted by: LifesFist

Re: Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation - 02/20/10 02:43 PM

I like your point Matt. Really, everyone should approach martial/war art in such manner. But if not Lee, and explication of his concepts by Dan Inosanto,Brandon Lee, etc., now I would not understand what you are saying. Instead I would say that the best of the best killing arts is this or that.

What do You think - are there any more such effective approaches to M.A. like JKD's? I mean, if you don't have any guiding points, at last as a martial artist will you realize, that you should approach world of martial/war arts as a possibilities of educating yourself?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Yes, JKD leads me towards personal liberation - 02/25/10 07:56 PM

Martial Arts is like trying to figure out a scientific equation. It takes much trial and error, using the best available information and hypothesis available. Honestly, given my martial past I feel like I progressed on my own more than I did with training. The reason why is because when a person has little or no imformation on a given subject its easy for outsiders with some information or the appearance of knowledge to influence them. This is dangerous because the person dispensing the knowledge may or may not possess information of value.

I left the dojo about ten years ago now, left the forms, the point sparring, the flowery movements and the competitions and instead i gathered a group of martial artists that I respected as fighters and thinkers and I worked with them Taking ideas from various systems. My training went from 90 percent forms and 1-3 step sparring to 90 percent sparring, drilling certain movements and testing ideas against progressive resistance. Then I read the Tao, learned much about economy of motion and centerline concepts. Then I retrained myself. I stripped down everything i knew, and kept only a handfull of techniques, roughly twenty in total perhaps more I havent counted but its a small percentage of what I use to practice and I feel like Im lightyears more effective than I was then. I plan to reenter a school now, headed by Juan Mott a former PRIDE champ. This is more for testing my abilities against a group of ranked fighters that it is for educational purposes however, I hope and plan to learn some things from the experience, otherwise it will end as quickly as it started and I'll be back to my usual training.