What do you think of this school?

Posted by: Shadowx

What do you think of this school? - 03/21/09 02:07 AM

Hey everyone, I am looking to start martial arts up again, and jeet kune do has been on my eye for some time now. I am aware that it is not a style and so everyone's expression of it will be different. I am also aware of many places who claim to be jkd schools, but are in fact not, and may not even tech practical techniques.

My question, to anyone ans as many as possible would be, what do you think of the below school. Is it jkd or not? Could it be a McDojo? Does it look effective? I know that I will have to check it out myself, and there's only so much you can tell from the website, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

jkdama.com

My question, to anyone ans as many as possible would be, what do you think of the below school. Is it jkd or not? Could it be a McDojo? Does it look effective? I know that I will have to check it out myself, and there's only so much you can tell from the website, but let me know what you think.

Thanks

jkdama.com
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/21/09 10:38 AM

The options on the poll aren't adequate. "Real" JKD....lets just say, it's JKD. I hate politics. JKD like everything else, is either trained with aliveness or it isn't. That should be the only criterion that you use to judge whether or not you want to train there. And there's no way of knowing that until you go there to observe or (even better) participate in a trial.
Posted by: Kentao5

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/21/09 06:44 PM

Maybe I'm "Old School" but if you cannot trace your lineage back to Bruce, Dan, or Taky, you cannot promote yorself as JKD.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/22/09 09:31 AM

Kentao5

Lineage....I might agree with, if we're talking about "Jun Fan". JKD (truth in combat), well that might be another story.

I think of JKD as a personal quest with specific "guidelines". Insofar as one is adhering to those guidelines, I'm wondering if lineage matters at all?

But perhaps the question there is, if truth in combat is the end-all, be-all (which I believe it is), then why would lineage matter?

I merely pose the question to spur discussion, not to say that you're right or wrong.

Thanks
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/22/09 09:50 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'm "Old School" but if you cannot trace your lineage back to Bruce, Dan, or Taky, you cannot promote yorself as JKD.

An interesting philosophical question! Does JKD have a lineage? JKogas makes a good point, if one considers that JKD is not really a style, per se.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/22/09 10:27 AM

I should probably note that although I believe that JKD is ultimately free for anyone to pursue, I can trace my lineage to Lee and Dan...by way of Hartsell and Vunak, so I still went through the "proper channels", lol
Posted by: Ames

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/23/09 10:47 AM

It is interesting, to be sure. I think though that John is pretty much spot on, saying that for Jun Fan you should be able to ultimately trace your lineage back to Bruce Lee. But JKD really is 'truth in combat', and Lee makes if pretty clear that it is NOT a style...so why would you have to trace a non-style back to Lee? I think of far more importance to authentic JKD, is the 'truth in combat' aspect that John speaks of, as well as functioning under the concepts that Bruce describes (with the most important ones being testing, daily decress/efficiency, individualality, not being concerned with any 'style'.)

--Chris

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/24/09 09:41 PM

I think JKD is meant to be a path to develop one's personal style with some required ingridients (economy of motion, good body mechanic, resistance, etc.) If possible getting the chance to interact with lineage instructors is key to understanding the training methods needed to find one's "truth in combat." I too have had the great oppurtunity to train with some of those people. Richard Bustillo, the late Larry Hartsell, Dan Inosanto, Marc Denny, and Mike Krivka (certified under Inosanto). Before meeting those guys, I felt I was following a JKD path but did not promote what I was teaching as JKD until I became certified in JKDU under Burton Richardson. What I do not like to see is JKD "Instructors" capatializing on the JKD name with examples that appear to be nothing more than demonstrations against a commited attack and no resistance from the supposed attacker. Just check out some of the JKD examples on You Tube.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/24/09 09:53 PM

Hey, are you Ken Eberle by any chance, or know him? I'm a big fan of Burton. If you're set up with him, you're obviously in very good hands!

Posted by: Neko456

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/25/09 06:31 PM

It looks real enough they seem to try to fight range. Alot better then nothing.

But with the Demo its hard to tell his base alot of Karate classes or Gung fu classes look like that or more realistic then that now.

There were some things that I liked and some that I didn't like the straight line foot work and blast with bent arm strikes and punching into the oppoenets gloves without wiping out, I saw no elbows or head butts once he closed.

Wasted energy and not effienct but still probably potent.

Is it Bruce Lee (JKD Concept or Round Circle JKD) connected probably not his base seems to be other the Juan Fa Gung fu or Kali.

But that last combination looked good to me. Ending almost like the postition in the Tao of JKD but anybody can strike a pose standing still.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/26/09 06:45 PM

You sir, get a cigar. Yes, I have been very fortunate to have been given the priveledge of associating with Guro Burton and other "veriafiable" JKD associates. I only wish I could have met him and the methodology of JKD training 30yrs.sooner. I have seen alot of your posts on various sites and feel you also have "it."
Ken

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/26/09 08:25 PM

Thanks Ken, although if I have "it", I'm sure there are plenty of folks around here who pray "it" isn't spreading, lol.

I guess you enjoy function as much as I do. It only makes sense that if you train martial arts, you want to be able to (actually) perform. That's all it's ever been about for me and it speaks a lot about you to get connected with someone like Burton.

I got involved with Thornton several years ago and realize that Burton was a big influence on him as well as so many others.

Its great to make your acquaintance! I hope to see you around these parts more. Mind if I shoot you some email?

Cheers!

-John

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/26/09 08:45 PM

And here I thought no one would respond to my thread lol. Well I realize that my poll questions weren't perfect, I wasn't trying to get too political, I was really just trying to ask if this is practical typed jkd or if it is just another school using the name to get people interested.

The instructor was taught by Jerry Poteet, who was a student of Bruce Lee's correct? With this information what do you guys think? Is this good enough "lineage"? Does anyone think that this isn't a good place to train? Thank you.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/26/09 09:19 PM

Quote:

And here I thought no one would respond to my thread lol.

See what happens when you open the JKD can o' worms, lol? All you gotta do is put JKD in the tagline and (in my best John Madden,), "Boom! There ya go!"

Quote:

Well I realize that my poll questions weren't perfect, I wasn't trying to get too political, I was really just trying to ask if this is practical typed jkd or if it is just another school using the name to get people interested.

Given the lineage of the folks involved, it's apparent its not just another school using the name.

Quote:

The instructor was taught by Jerry Poteet, who was a student of Bruce Lee's correct? With this information what do you guys think? Is this good enough "lineage"? Does anyone think that this isn't a good place to train? Thank you.

It's good lineage. But who knows if there's anything else. Do you know what I'm saying? Lineage is great and all...I guess. But if the "spirit" or essence of JKD isn't there, what good is lineage?

As far as whether or not it's a good place to train, there is only one way to find out and that's to go there and train. The guy may really have something to teach.

But the problem I have with many JKD instructors is they completely miss the point, regurgitating just more and more "Jun Fan" without any comprehension of what truth in combat really means. Or maybe it's that the idea of "returning to the original freedom" just completely misses them by a mile. I don't know. Seems to me like so many have turned JKD into just another style or "classical mess" that it was supposed to free people from.

But, that's a rant. You don't need JKD to learn truth in combat. That's free to discover. But, isn't JKD about, discovering the truth in combat? If not, then what is it? Sure that's overly simplistic, but I'm just stirring up the pot a bit more. Just curious as to what you think about it.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/26/09 09:35 PM

I think I know what you mean. I tried learning a martial art once and the teacher insisted that keep my foot very straight, but for me it felt much more natural to keep it a little more angled. When I tried to do the footwork I was very stiff and felt like an idiot, but if I angled my foot a little I was much more fluid. Would me putting my foot what fits me best be the freedom you're talking about? If so I agree.

Right now I am trying to get the simple footwork of jkd down, and I think I'm catching on (as long as I can keep my foot at the angles I want or close to it). I'm also trying to get a hang of the straight lead. Snapping my hips at the moment of impact is the hardest part for me. Even when I'm still I'm not so good at twisting my hips before the punch.

I plan on trying to make my training more fluid, with some light sparring. Anyone have any recommendations for some 12 oz sparring gloves? Not to pricey I hope? Thanks guys, keep the feedback coming.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/27/09 08:13 AM

Shadowx

A few things to serve as food for thought.

Basics, basics, and more basics. Don't attempt to learn a style of fighting. Learn solid, testable, repeatable, fundamentals. Have someone actually try and punch you in the face (doesn't have to be hard, but should make contact). Then you will KNOW if your footwork is solid, your stance and structure is solid and if your defense is solid.

He shouldn't just "miss" because if he does, then everything else will be a house of cards. You won't have timing, distance and other attributes down. Play for "real" when you train, but keep it safe for the most part. You don't have to "bang" to gain any benefit of training. But, your shots must push at least, through deeply enough to count.

If you train that way, every question about your basics will be answered FOR you.

And that has NOTHING to do with style, JKD, or otherwise. That has everything to do with "truth".

Remember what Krishnamurti said about truth (Bruce Lee was an avid follower of him)? He said, "truth is a pathless land".

As that applies to martial arts, it means, truth is a "style-less" land. So you don't need to learn a style, system or anything else. It just means, learn those fundamentals and get to playing, for real.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/28/09 12:24 AM

That's really what I'm trying to do. I want to get back in shape again, I want to build power, speed, endurance, timing, accuracy and grace. I don't care what the style is, as long as it's simple and effective. This is what drew me to Jeet Kune Do, I want to express myself through how I move, and have my intentions be translated into movements effective for defending myself.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 03/28/09 02:47 PM

Quote:

Should the question be "What lineage is good?" Does it all come down to, are you getting what you think you are getting? If it is the ability to understand what the needs are to survive (truth in combat), then the trainng must reflect that. No bad art, just bad training.

Re: What do you think of this school? - 07/03/09 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Kentao5
No bad art, just bad training.

Truer words were never spoken.