Jab vs. the Straight Lead

Posted by: JKogas

Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 11/28/08 10:39 PM

Opinions? Preferences? Or, is there really no difference between the two?
Posted by: Semper_Fi

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/04/08 11:10 AM

They are the same imo. Now if you say jab vs straight stop hit then yes, there is a difference.
Posted by: matxtx

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/04/08 01:05 PM

I am taking it to mean a 'light' jab vs a more powerfull punch(straight lead).
In which case I think it depends on the stance a person takes and what a person wants to be able to do other than punch.
To grapple offensively and defensively a squarer stance or different stance is needed than what a boxer using a 'lighter' jab,would have.Also for NHB its good to be a two fisted striker and have two hands available to get on them to clinch or tie up and also stop those things happening and be able to sprawl,cross face, etc,etc.
This all means the left lead is capable of having more power.
It could still be a jab,as in a quick jab just before you change level.

Something Iv learnt,for me, is that alot get a stance and then try to do things from that stance,where in fact its better to fit or create the stance after you figure out what you want to do.
Plus in NHB when striking I reckon its better to go for it with more attacks after and not be just flicking jabs out over and over.Possiby in competion its ok though Im dont compete.
But I do think going through boxing and learning it that way is no bad thing as it highlights the use of the shoulder to protect and head movement and slipping and also the habit of finishing combos on a jab and angling off and away,which can come in handy.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/04/08 02:12 PM

I believe it's just a variation of each other done for different purpose one the snappy jab is done to bust up or harass/confuse/temporialy blind as a defensive measure or measure setup something more telling (though I've seem a confuse guy knock down with it) the other/power jab is done to damage/stagger, knockdown, stop forward movement and expose a weakness in defense. The hand movement is almost the same, the feet movement and settling/rooting is different.

Unless you are talking about a step through left hand as in lunge punch the snapping jaba nd power jab or darn near the same, still a jab.
Posted by: Kravinatrix

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/04/08 02:41 PM

I dont really jab, always use a Straight Lead. Reason i do this because its alot stronger, i will use a shuffle forward and snap my hips into it, also i will get more shoulder action into it then normally jabbing. I also try to have my fist land before my fist makes contact. I use a sort of step drage shuffle with my footwork in delivering it.
I find this alot more effective then a normal jab although slightly slower. Most grapplers will happily eat a jab in closing in to take you down, a straight left makes this more difficult, well the way i deliver it anyway, it should knock them back abit preventing them from closing in.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/05/08 09:46 AM

I hate which is better questions, whatever works in the situation is what should be used.

example. if the only way you can hit you opponent is to set yourself on fire and jump on his back, then do that.

straight lead leaves you vulnerable if you miss or if your parried, jab you recover quicker. its all situational.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/21/08 02:27 PM

Jab. Its almost always the opening gambit. Its the fastest of weapons and works great to keep the distance, judge the timing and setting up the stronger shots. Its also a great counter weapon, and should be used frequently to keep the opponent guessing
Posted by: Ames

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/22/08 04:24 PM

Yeah, for me the jab is a 'go to' strike. I use it more regularly that the straight lead. But I don't necessarily think it's better--just that I use the jab more often. I find the straight lead to be the better tool to bridge the gap when my opponent isn't a very good counter striker.

My two cents.
--Chris
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/25/08 05:57 PM

i like to use both interchangably. sometimes i'll fake with a jab to get an over reaction out of the opponent that makes the space for a straight lead to do some damage or set up combo's. they compliment each other.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 12/26/08 03:15 AM

Here is a link to a good book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Lead-Core...8915&sr=1-1
Posted by: Jbacs

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 05/06/09 07:54 AM

I think it depends on how your oriented in relation to your opponent I generally go for the jab.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Jab vs. the Straight Lead - 05/11/09 09:59 PM

Straight lead for me.

I like having two cannons, then one and a machine gun.

Plus, I always use the straight lead as a set up to grab.

~Donnie