History

Posted by: BrianS

History - 08/21/08 01:59 PM

The history channel had a program about japanese history the other day. As it went on it told of warriors in the 1400's - 1500's. One samurai had 19 confirmed kills on te battlefield and was considered one of the best around. Swordsmen would come from all around to challenge him. At first he accepted all challengers and would win decisively.
Afer he got older the unnecessary bloodshed bothered him and he no longered wished to engage in swordfights without good reason. One such time they told of him crossing a lake on a boat. a swordsman on the boat would taunt him trying to get him to fight. Finally he accepted and the boat headed for the nearest shore. Just when the young taunter got out the old samurai pushed the boat away and continued on with his business leaving the angered man on the shore.
Posted by: DeadlyKnuckles

Re: History - 08/22/08 11:25 AM

Tsukahara Bokuden.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: History - 08/22/08 11:32 AM

That's him! Thanks!

Is it known that the scene in BL's movie was taken directly from this story? I believe most of BL's philosophies weren't his at all.

Re: History - 08/22/08 01:23 PM

Quote:

Is it known that the scene in BL's movie was taken directly from this story?

As common knowledge? Probably not.

Quote:

I believe most of BL's philosophies weren't his at all.

Not so much "weren't his at all", but rather nothing new. Most of his philosophies can be traced back to earlier sources.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: History - 09/27/08 05:08 PM

Quote:

I believe most of BL's philosophies weren't his at all.

There's nothing new under the sun. No new thoughts or philosophies. His genius was recognizing the truth in the philosophies that he studied (most of which were Zen Buddhism or, those from J. Krishnamurti).
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: History - 09/29/08 05:43 PM

The philosophies were nothing new but his approach to martial arts was. A new perspective on old ideas.

Re: History - 10/07/08 08:49 PM

Ahh, look what I found - http://tkdtutor.com/00QuickAccess/Counterpoint/BruceLee/BruceLee01.htm
Posted by: JKogas

Re: History - 10/08/08 05:40 AM

So we all agree that Lee's philosophies weren't anything new. But who cares if they were or not? Were they the truth? Isn't that what really matters? We can argue over whether or not Lee's ideas weren't original, or we can look at the fact that he was another voice speaking the truth. There are people who to this day, still don't understand what he was saying 40 years ago. So before we slam Lee (not saying anyone here is) lets make sure we have reason to.

I personally don't CARE about Bruce Lee. Never have. I'm not a "fan" of many people. He was a movie star? Great. Who cares. My gym doesn't have a big picture of Lee hanging up that we bow to every time we go in. In fact, we don't even practice Jun Fan gung fu anymore. Dropped it years ago.

JKD isn't about hero worship, it's about training. People should be too busy pursuing the truth in combat instead of worrying about where the source of truth comes from. The truth is the truth....I don't really care who spoke it.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: History - 10/08/08 11:14 AM

Jkogas wrote "The truth is the truth....I don't really care who spoke it."

Yes this is true but who spoke it is different then who gave it life. I am a fan of Master Lee though JKD is not my base it is a Philosophy I adhear to somewhat with the excpetion that I like decipherig Kata bc of my base. But it's my opinion that Lee was more then just a actor he was a Martial artist 1st that pretty much like you Jkogas thought fighting was the truth and dancing/forms was a dead form of expressing it. But he didin't find this idea until he had gained from doing forms is my opinoin. In that his forms gave him his exact, powerful and concise techniques. I say this because after witnesssing pure JKD practictioners they seem to range from slooply but effective thai/boxer/wrestlers fighters to effective dancers thaiboxer/WC/Silat/Kali/jj who IMO dance and can fight.

Bruce was not the 1st to practice cross training, I've met many practictiners that trained in more then one art. But they had to turn it on and off, kinda like they didn't practice the Pour water into a cup and it takes any form idea. Which is a Taoist monk philosophy. The goal is to be like you Jkogas not care where it comes from or what you are doing but to be able to make it work at any range.

So though you are not a fan of Master Lee you are a prime example of his teaching.

No crazy kias just plain whip a$$. Its all one thing effective fighting.