Trapping (i need help)

Posted by: NicoJM

Trapping (i need help) - 05/28/08 04:48 PM

I actually do Jiu Jitsu but my shidan does teach us some trapping and knowing JKD does trapping i was hoping to learn more, could any1 direct me to a tutorial on more complex trapping.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 05/28/08 05:39 PM

Just an opinion here but, the more complex the trapping, the less functional it will be. Work your boxing more, because in fighting, the goal is to hit. Any trapping you do will come off of angles and superior hitting.

-John
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 05/28/08 09:37 PM

whats "complex" trapping....and like John said, trapping shouldnt be too complex at all. Otherwise you'd be too busy trapping the guys hands and not hitting him. I don't know what kind of trapping you've learned but watching videos has always helped me pick up things (not to formally learn but at least get ideas).
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 05/29/08 07:43 AM

Nico -

You don't need videos. You don't even need trapping, per se. You need practice learning sensitivity. Get a partner, and stand facing each other so your forearms are touching. Now have him move his arm, and you try to "stick to" it. Then vice versa, working both arms. Rinse and repeat for a few years. Here are some vids of similar training that I have done:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=3#Post15990403
Posted by: NicoJM

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 05/29/08 06:34 PM

thx
Posted by: BruceLee94

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 06/06/08 04:16 PM

I think that a lot of trapping in JKD is for energy training, in that if you feel somebody doing something, you react straight away.
Posted by: Semper_Fi

Re: Trapping (i need help) - 06/11/08 11:46 AM

Well, I wouldn't so much call it energy training as I believe it to be more of sensitivity training as Matt said. It's good to know where your opponents hands are when you find yourself up close and personal.