JKD Vs. Kali?

Posted by: sheepingly

JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/24/07 06:31 PM

Everytime I look up info on JKD they always associate it with Kali/Escrima...or vice versa. Why is that?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/24/07 06:56 PM

Dan Inosanto. He started bringing in study of arts from his heritage (Filipino) to JKD. Not sure where the Silat came from exactly, but that may have been his influence as well.

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/24/07 06:58 PM

Yeah I heard about Dan Inosanto. I should get his books. Thanks for answering =)
Posted by: cxt

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/24/07 07:17 PM

Sheepingly

Well, in additoin to your questions on the "best" amrtial arts, health, nutration, grappling, self defense, weapons, kempo, karate, I may be missing a few here

Its becasue they are linked in terms of of whom has trainied with Bruce Lee the founder of JKD.

So in additon to your MMA, kickboxing, various condioning work your now thinking of taking up JKD?

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/24/07 07:26 PM

Nooooooooooooo. I only do KB and MMA. THe mma part is a mix of Shaolin Kenpo, Kali Silat, JKD, Muay Thai, and BJJ. Lol...
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/25/07 08:51 AM

you list jkd like its a separate art. All of your arts combined are jkd.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/25/07 08:56 AM

Good point, and I do not consider "mixing arts" to be MMA, either. MMA is a separate training pardigm unto itself.

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/25/07 12:05 PM

Okay Im confused lol. Okay I'll rephrase. I do KB, BJJ, Kali Silat, JKD, Muay Thai, and Shaolin Kenpo =)
Posted by: Joss

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/25/07 01:24 PM

Why haven't you added karate, tai chi and TKD so you would have a REALLY balanced schedule?

Re: JKD Vs. Kali? - 09/25/07 01:38 PM

I did shotokan karate a few years ago. The dojo I go to doesn't teach Tai Chi or TKD. I could go to another dojo but that's just more expenses than I would like right now =) Plus I'm at my current dojo 5-6x a week anyway and I work 40 hours a week sometimes more than that so it's like unstable right now but I want to...I even wanna get into capoiera that my dojo teaches and they also teach budotaijistu and something called Elite Combatives...which sounds interesting but I don't have that much time lol