It can be done

Posted by: jkdwarrior

It can be done - 09/10/07 10:41 AM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=6iDlzL7zrNU

You simply get mauled if you fight multiple opponents? It seems to me that he done the perfect thing by continually moving out of the way and using the jab. Nasty left hook. Lucky? maybe, but skill seems to have won out in this instance.

Re: It can be done - 09/11/07 12:04 PM

Just so nobody gets any false ideas, this was a one off. If four people are attacking you. RUN!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: It can be done - 09/11/07 12:17 PM

That guy did pretty good!
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: It can be done - 09/12/07 04:47 PM

lol yea I would run too but aparently the attackers didnt understand the concept of attacking him at the same time.
Posted by: Kr00c

Re: It can be done - 02/13/08 01:54 AM

Quote:

lol yea I would run too but aparently the attackers didnt understand the concept of attacking him at the same time.

lmao, thats true....but the guy can fight
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: It can be done - 02/26/08 09:14 AM

While i give the boxer credit, it should be noted that his attackers obviously had no idea how to fight. Their entry was pitiful. and the way they were reaching out towards him in such a way showed they had little skill. One did seem to have some kicking skill, but no punch defense.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: It can be done - 02/26/08 10:32 PM

Damn that was like watching Kung Fu Theater! All of the opponents seemed to "wait their turn" to fight, (playing nicely, by the rules lol). That and the fact that all of them couldn't fight worse if they were DEAD!

-John
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: It can be done - 02/26/08 10:47 PM

Very nicely done. He controlled distance and they had no plan. He was dropping people with jabs. Good that he didn't end up with someone behind him as he was backing up.

It could be argued that his aggression and apparent ability to drop them with a single punch may have sent a message that kept the others from organizing better. They seemed to be "wading in" behind each other and letting the guy in front take the punches thinking that they could surprise him without flanking. It didn't work though and when the front guy dropped, they were getting cracked too.

The problem in teaching this is that this guy was 10 times the fighter that any one of his attackers was. Teaching this strategy to someone who can't box and doesn't have KO ability might create more problems than it would solve.
Posted by: jude33

Re: It can be done - 02/27/08 08:57 AM

Quote:

Teaching this strategy to someone who can't box and doesn't have KO ability might create more problems than it would solve.

Hi

So in that scenario what would you teach someone to handle this situation?

Jude
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: It can be done - 02/27/08 02:05 PM

Avoid, deescalate, defend and escape... in and out of order.

My issue is that having a strategy of just being a better striker than or outclassing your opponent can limit you options when your opponent is more formidable.

In SWAT operations, most search warrants and raids go off without a shot being fired... sometimes in an empty house. In an empty house anything short of shooting yourself or another team member would be considered a success without objective review and analysis of what could have happened if even moderate resistance was encountered and the members had screwed up on the entry.

This same level of scrutiny needs to be applied in this case IMHO.

Re: It can be done - 02/29/08 09:43 AM

Fletch, you make a good point about him being so much better than his opponents, and they did attack him in a foolish manner. I think many non-MAists have no idea of strategy, or do not have the skill to pull it off in such a situation and resort to brawling. For example, you only really have a reach advantage if you have a good jab, so even if a layperson's strategy is to keep people away with reach, he usually ends up swinging for the fences.