RIP Larry Hartsell

Posted by: Angharad_Rhydd

RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 07:25 AM

It was recently announced that Sifu Larry Hartsell passed away in the early hours of Tuesday 20th August. Larry was a pioneer of JKD grappling, an excellenet teacher, and a fantastic guy. Larry leaves behind a wife Deborah, and close family.

Angharad
Posted by: MattJ

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 08:20 AM

Terrible news! Larry Hartsell was a grappling pioneer, and an amazing technician. I feel very lucky to have been able to attend one of his seminars. I know he had been having some health issues for a few years now.

He will be missed.

RIP.

Posted by: Neko456

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 09:14 AM

That is sad news Sifu Hartsell was a reknown JKD who specialized in the Grappling field as mentioned. A trully amazing and gifted martial artist. That is sad news, I offer my hard felt condolences to his family and students.

And know that the MA world has lost one of it's greatest teachers.

How old was Sifu Hartsell?

Posted by: JKogas

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 10:11 AM

Larry Hartsell was one of my brother-in-law's instructors. He was responsible for turning the JKD community onto grappling before it became fashionable. We've lost a true legend and pioneer.

-John
Posted by: Taison

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 10:45 AM

WTF?!

This is like losing a legend! Larry's dead?

JKD lost one of the important pioneers imo. Without Larry, JKD wouldn't be what it is today. Without Larry, JKD would still be a primarily striking art. Larry was one of those guys who proved grappling was an important aspect of fighting.

Larry will be missed. Condolensces to his family and friends.

-Taison out
Posted by: Cord

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/22/07 03:54 PM

i never had a chance to meet Mr Hartsell, but from his reputation and contributions to the MA world, I know this is a tremendous loss. Very sad.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/23/07 02:03 AM

Very, very sad. His work won't be forgotten though, so he made his mark on the world forever.
Posted by: kalijkd1

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/23/07 05:46 AM

Larry turned 65 on August 15th. He was a great instructor whom I have trained under for some time. He was one of Dan Inosanto's first students.
Sifu/Guro Michael Vincent
Posted by: trevek

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/23/07 07:21 AM

sad news. condolences to his family all who knew him
Posted by: Ames

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/23/07 09:00 AM

Larry Hartsell was a true pioneer.

Rest in Peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8t9ToFnQM&mode=related&search=

--Chris
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/23/07 07:10 PM

Really sorry to hear that Sifu Hartsell died. He was one of the first people of note in Martial Arts in this area, and has been well known and acknowledged almost as long as I've been training. His passing is sad news to us all.

My condolences to his family and his students as well. I remember the sense of loss when Toyoda Sensei died, and it's only fitting to remember them with respect and the love of friends who truly care. A sad day indeed.

Posted by: Neko456

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/24/07 06:21 PM

65 yrs. old, he was always a solid built healthy looking man.

On the high note I'm sure he would be proud of his legacy and all the people he has touched as in WW ending statement from the movie KOH.

Thats is one thing about teachers their lessons, techniques and thoughts lives on in the students and people that they have taught and mentally touched through the study of the MAs.

Sifu Hartsell job well done.

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/25/07 05:54 PM

Marc ("Crafty Dog") Denny had this to say about Larry Hartsell:

Quote:

I first met/experienced Sifu Larry around 1986 at the Inosanto Academy (the one at Glencoe Ave). He was giving a one day seminar and needed someone to volunteer as an assistant. I had just finished three years with Paul Vunak and figured I was up to it. What followed was an amazing day of trapping-grappling. The next day I went to a chiropractor, who had many stuntmen and athletes as clients. Upon adjusting me said she had never had anyone with that many vertabrae needing an adjustment :-)

Sifu Larry was serious about staying in fighting shape. He even took a weight set with him to Spain one time.

In recent years, upon my going upstairs to teach my Saturday class at the Inosanto Academy sometimes I would see him there teaching privates or working out for himself. I remember in particular one time I arrived about an hour early to get in a workout for myself and there he was, already working out on the heavy bag. The pace and power would have been impressive for a much younger man, but were quite remarkable for a man of his age. After about 45 minutes non-stop (!) he paused and I complimented him and told him that he inspired me. He seemed pleased, and went back to work.

To live with the knowledge of our death is perhaps Life's greatest challenge for us, and to do so knowing that our time is going to be shorter due to health reasons is perhaps the hardest of all. When recently I saw him teach, it was obvious that his health was weakening, but there was no complaint. He had his Art and he walked as a Warrior for all his days.

Well said.

Quote:

The Adventure does continue,
Crafty Dog

And indeed it does.

-John
Posted by: Gabster

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/26/07 02:53 PM

He was an insperation for many of us older folks. I was glad I had the chance to train with him and talk to him about the times he has had. His books are good also.

I am sorry I did not get to a seminar this year. He will be missed.
My condolances to all of his friends and family.

Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 08/27/07 12:06 AM

I knew of the man by media only. However, it saddens me greatly to hear that he is gone from this earth. May he rest in peace.
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 09/06/07 09:15 PM

I adhere to the principles of JKD from Bruce Lee's published notes, and as such am sad to admit that I've not really heard much of Sifu Hartsell, save his legacy as a grappler. From what I have heard, he was an amazing man. Rest in peace.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 09/08/07 01:44 PM

I would also like to extend my sympathies to those who knew him well. I've read and studied his books, and i have a lot of respect for him. Along with Bruce, he helped show us the way through his branching out of what he was taught. RIP
Posted by: StreetFighter10

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 09/29/07 02:53 AM

I wanted to meet him... but I can't anymore. lasjfal;sfjas
Posted by: jasoned1

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 10/01/07 12:28 PM

Larry was my personal instructor for over the last 6 years. I will never forget training from his garage......a kind, woderful, good-spirited man....with a wealth of knowledge, that i only tapped 1% of his knowledge in 6 years! We will all miss you!!!!! My condolences to Debra and his entire group of friends and family.
Posted by: Mike_Holba

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 10/04/07 02:54 PM

It seems like just yesterday when Sifu Harstell was twisting and tossing many of us all over the mat. A true martial arts legend.
Thank you for so much!
Goodbye my friend and teacher. It has been an honor to have known you. Say hi to Bruce...

mike holba
Posted by: Xaith

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/12/07 05:50 PM

This Saturday one of Hartsell's students, Jason Winkle, is leading a charity JKD seminar in Hartsell's honor. The proceeds are going to Hartsell's wife, Debra. It will be at Indiana University in Bloomington. There should be more information at iub.edu~martial

I never trained with Larry Hartsel, but I have trained with Jason Winkle, and he is one of the best instructors I've encountered, always in very high demand since he left his teaching post at West Point.

I also understand Winkle will be teaching Hartsell's JKD curriculum, but I don't know how that specifically will differ.

I know this is pretty late notice, but it's a good cause, and the instruction should be top notch, if anybody is in the area, they should try to make it. I'll be driving over an hour to be there, and I know others travelling even further.
Posted by: Xaith

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/12/07 07:16 PM

I left out a crucial "/" in that address, and the information is a bit buried. Here the text of the announcement:

"As many of you know, Sifu Larry Hartsell passed away this Summer. To assist his family during this time of mourning and recovery, Sifu Winkle will be putting on a charity seminar to help raise money for the family.
It will be a 4 hour seminar (with an additional hour break in the middle) that will cover the JKD Grappling Association curriculum in honor of Sifu Hartsell.

November 17th
10am-3pm (That's 1000-1500, Jason)
Indiana University
HPER Room 169
$40 (ALL proceeds go to the Hartsell family)
Any donations above and beyond the cost of the seminar are appreciated.
Topic: JKD Grappling Assoc curriculum"
Posted by: Monsterman

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/14/07 05:44 PM

I know I'm kinda late here, but c'mon. I mean, Sifu Hartsell was...and still is more underrated than the Gracies, and he's probably a better grappler too!

This really is sad, I wanted to learn from him.

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/19/07 04:03 PM

Monsterman,
You are right. He knew all the sport technician skills as the Gracies, but combined with his combat/street/dirty fighting skills, he is a much better fighter......plus his conditioning of his bones makes every hold feel like steel against your body....it hurts.

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/19/07 04:32 PM

Quote:

He knew all the sport technician skills as the Gracies, but combined with his combat/street/dirty fighting skills, he is a much better fighter

With all due respect to you (and Mr Hartsell), this kind of statement is pure speculation. I'm sure that Mr. Hartsell was an excellent fighter in his day, but to say that he was better than any of the Gracie's (or "sport" fighters in general) is to seriously downplay what they have accomplished, don't you think?

Rickson Gracie??! Come on now. Doesn't HE deserve some love or what?!

-John

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/20/07 01:19 PM

I didnt say he was better than all "sports fighters", I was responding about the Gracies (in my opinion)....it is always speculation to do hypothetical matchups....and even in real contest, the better fighter doesnt always win. But Larry Hartsell was much more diversified than most people realize. And his toughness factor in his prime, was absurd. Needless to say, I was giving the due respect to Larry, not trying to start a pointless argument.

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/20/07 11:15 PM

Quote:

I didnt say he was better than all "sports fighters", I was responding about the Gracies (in my opinion)

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Quote:

...it is always speculation to do hypothetical matchups

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

...and even in real contest, the better fighter doesnt always win.

Now thats got me curious as to your line of reasoning. How often would you say that the better fighter DOES win? What is instrumental in the inferior fighter winning?

Quote:

But Larry Hartsell was much more diversified than most people realize. And his toughness factor in his prime, was absurd. Needless to say, I was giving the due respect to Larry, not trying to start a pointless argument.

No it's all good bro. I realize the man was tough. My brother in law was a student of his for several years WAY back in the day (Charlotte NC).

Personally I wasn't really that impressed with "JKD grappling", etc. I mean, we've come a LONG way since then...in MY opinion.

-John

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/21/07 11:14 AM

How often does the better fighter win.......very tricky....
1. It depends on how much better, let's face it.
2. It depends on each fighter's styles and focus (as of course Sigun Bruce's most famous quote ever mentions).
I've never met a fighter who is 100% complete in all skills, since it's virtually impossible. But I've met plenty of fighters who do a great job of defending their weakest areas.....and that's the difference.
But matchups can be critical....

3. Stupid Luck. Sorry to upset those fighters out there who dont want to hear it, but since true fighting is not a sport and a certain element of rawness occurs, even the best trained fighters sometimes get into bad situations by random luck. And I dont want to hear anyone disagree to this point....you havent fought enough if you dont think so!

*Your last statement of JKD Grappling is outdated.....That's a unfair comment to make. Every form is always evolving and adding new elements all the time. So it has come a Long Way since then too. The level of cross-training now-a-days, means what is unique to any "style"....there is none. That was the whole point of Sifu Larry's instruction, which he adopted from Sigun Bruce.
And I have studied Gracie/Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and I found the training although very complete and fantastic for this area, in whole not complete enough.

Needless to say this is a forum to pay respect to one of the greatest complete fighters of the 20th century (regardless of what you think...enough teachers & legends will agree), and I find your lack of respect to Larry in this forum a bit disrepectful and ill-timed. I suggest you rethink your actions. Larry was a great man, and has way to many friends, and will be missed by all!
Thanks again Larry for everything!

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/21/07 01:42 PM

Quote:

3. Stupid Luck. Sorry to upset those fighters out there who dont want to hear it, but since true fighting is not a sport and a certain element of rawness occurs, even the best trained fighters sometimes get into bad situations by random luck. And I dont want to hear anyone disagree to this point....you havent fought enough if you dont think so!

That's the one that I would tend to go with. Anyone can get a lucky shot in. The bigger the guy is, the more those lucky ones hurt, lol. A 6'2", 350 Samoan isn't someone I want to be trading blows with.

In terms of the clinch or ground however, those big guys can be a fish out of water, just like anyone else without skill. Those ranges are the great equalizer.

Quote:

*Your last statement of JKD Grappling is outdated.....That's a unfair comment to make.

For the record, I didn't say it was outdated. I said I wasn't impressed with it and that folks have come a long way since back in the day.

Of course things evolve. Erik Paulson is a perfect example of that. Of course he's adopted more of a BJJ (no-gi) approach to grappling as pretty much everyone else has. Doesn't matter what you call it; if it uses the guard, mount, side control, back mount -- it's pretty much BJJ because that has been the most prevalent influence to come along in YEARS. Before that it was mostly wrestling with leg locks and a few chicken wings. Shooto in other words. But now, it's pretty much BJJ, so I personally don't even THINK of it as "JKD grappling". I prefer to give credit where it's due.

Quote:

Needless to say this is a forum to pay respect to one of the greatest complete fighters of the 20th century (regardless of what you think...enough teachers & legends will agree), and I find your lack of respect to Larry in this forum a bit disrepectful and ill-timed. I suggest you rethink your actions. Larry was a great man, and has way to many friends, and will be missed by all!

Well actually, I wasn't disrespecting Mr. Hartsell. I was offering my opinion which is worth whatever you paid for it. I have the utmost respect for the man who personally taught my sisters husband, who in turn, taught me.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/21/07 01:47 PM

Quote:

and I find your lack of respect to Larry in this forum a bit disrepectful and ill-timed. I suggest you rethink your actions. Larry was a great man, and has way to many friends, and will be missed by all!

JKogas has always written well of Larry Hartsell. LH was one of fairly few early JKD folk that he acknowledged as having skills.
Posted by: Cord

Re: RIP Larry Hartsell - 11/25/07 01:50 PM

JK, dont sweat it, no one can ever beat a dead man, not even with BJJ.

That is just a truism, and its abruptness is not meant to disrespect Mr Hartsell, its just a fact that, in death, those who are loved and respected often are remembered as greatly superior to those left in corporeal form.

Hartsell vs Gracie, Sonny liston vs Klitchko Bruce Lee vs Dan Inosanto.

Pick one of these or any similar such fight, the dead man will invariably be the winner in the pointless argument that will ensue.

Anyone who can read english can see you meant no disrespect, the only time specific claims of superiority were made were in an unprompted dig at the gracies, an act that I presume Mr Hartsell had more class than to make himself in his lifetime.