Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD?

Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD? - 06/12/07 08:46 PM

I am 6'7" tall, 300+ lbs. and I find it difficult to effectively pull off anything but the most basic boxing combos, palm strikes, low-line kicks, and clinches/groundfighting, against a "live" opponent. I feel ridiculous when sparring with medium-sized and "small" partners. I do all right, but it's because of size and speed, not skill. Kind of an odd subject but does anyone have anything to say?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD? - 06/12/07 10:22 PM

Just keep sparring, my friend. Matt Thornton is a huge guy that does OK with his JKD.

Just a matter of practice. Basics are really all you need anyway.
Posted by: 2old4this

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/13/07 07:12 AM

I do TKD and at 5'7" everyone in my class is taller and heavier then me. I have asked a similar question from my perspective. Get the basics right and you will find that opertunities and strategies will present themselves. Play to your strengths while working on your weaknesses is the best advice I can give. I suppose it is all down to stretegy in the end. Don't go and chase them let them run around you untill they tire then move in for the kill.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD? - 06/13/07 12:46 PM

I would assume that since JKD is based on your body type and what works for You. Height or weight would not be a negative factor it would be up to your coach/Sifu to bring out the positive in the natural tools of your body makeup and pad the negative with how to handle the disadvantage of your body type, making you at least prepared for it.

JKD is a very flexible strategy or phyiscal philosophy.

No matter what system or no method you practice until you are accomplished/comfortable in it, most feel the way you feel. The guys that you are working with maybe somewhat skilled usually even if you are a beginner 6'7 300+ lbs, you could fall on a unskilled person and hurt them. Ask you skilled sparring mates what you need to do better. I bet they will tell you its not U, but they will need to be faster to get out your way the better you get.

Height and Size can be a negative but it takes a very skilled person to expose that. Right now you just can't catch them before they hit and get out. Tell me that ain't true. Like the previous/Mattj posted stated keep training your day will come.
Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/13/07 08:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Will do.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD? - 06/14/07 02:02 AM

I'm about 6' and 170-180 odd pounds and there's a feller who also is taught by my instructor who is taller and heavier and he seems quite peachy about it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/14/07 06:43 AM

I would second the notion of MattJ regarding Matt Thornton who at 6'8" seems to have no problems. He certainly had no problems with ME.

Like everyone, you ultimately adapt your training according to your own physiology.

-John
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/14/07 07:25 AM

While i agree that jkd can be adaptable to your physiology and mental skills, the truth is that some taller people have difficulty in speed, technique and manouverability.
On the flip side, you'll have a height, weight and reach advantage over more or less everyone you fight or spar. You'll also be able to hit harder. Fight to your advantages and you'll be doing good jkd.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/14/07 03:30 PM

And as you mentioned using their advantages and working on their weakness will make them bette overall JKD people. Having reach bc height and bulk bc of weight and foot work is a defense that the opponent has to contend with at the onset you can hit him long before he in range to counter or attack. And with the right mechanics and bulk got power to back it up into the mid-range on into the clinch.

This also helps on the ground its almost like rolling with an Otopus guys with long limb, the triangle can come from weird angles and positions. Bulk can stop or block a submission or power out or into of a choke attempt.

On the negative Bulk is also hard to move smoothly and swiftly on the ground. But he has to get past your air force before he contends with your infantry.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 06/15/07 06:08 AM

well said
Posted by: tribalweapon

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 07/11/07 03:21 PM

Quote:

I am 6'7" tall, 300+ lbs. and I find it difficult to effectively pull off anything but the most basic boxing combos, palm strikes, low-line kicks, and clinches/groundfighting, against a "live" opponent.

And this is a problem because... Seriously, I have seen professional fighter use about as much and do very well. Randy Couture is a prime example.I never saw him throw a kick in a fight until his match with Tim Silvia and he has had a very successful career using just boxing and wrestling. Throw in the low line kicks that you already have and your all set.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Can taller, heavier people effectively use JKD - 07/11/07 03:28 PM

Good point tribal. No law says anything you use HAS to be complex. Simple techniques win fights all the time.