Roundhouse Height

Posted by: Alex1980

Roundhouse Height - 05/16/07 05:39 AM

Hi, i started JKD last week, and am having a little trouble getting any decent height on my roundhouse kicks, has anyone got any advice on stretching exercises to help with this?
Cheers
Al.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/16/07 10:42 AM

My first suggestion: Give it TIME!
Second: Check out the stretching forum.
Third: Get your instructor's advice. << probably most important of them all.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/16/07 11:43 AM

If you only started last week, you should master the low kicks before attempting the high ones. They're easier, require less balance and co-ordination and are probably more useful

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/17/07 09:48 AM

Cheers guys, the stretching forum has really helped, as has the recommendation of mastering low kicks (it's now the pivot i'm having trouble with).
Cheers
Al.

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/18/07 12:17 PM

Your problem with pivoting is probably due to a loss of balance while trying to put power into the kick. Try executing the technique slowly until it becomes effortless, from there you'll find the proper way to do it.
Posted by: dao

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/30/07 04:28 PM

i second this suggestion, you may also want to take the kick and break it down into sections (stepping up, raising the leg, extending the leg, bringing it back and stepping down.Just an example, you do it how you want though). After breaking it down into sections your comfortable with, hold each section for 30 seconds or so.

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/31/07 07:24 AM

Cheers Guys!
Trainings going really well. I'm on my forth week, one more week to go and i'll be bumped into the intermediate class which means longer lessons and more access to the facilities
I've it's been great to learn something really practical for once, i've found inm the past with karate especially, that you have to be a really good fighter for it to be any use in the real world. With JKD i've found that it's more accessable to people of varying ability.
Anyway Cheers again!
Al.
Posted by: skinters

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/26/08 08:34 AM

my advice is keep your high roundhouse kicks in the dojo.i wouldnt personaly kick higher than waist level on the street .
Posted by: karate_popo

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/26/08 03:33 PM

i don't understand what the big deal is with high kicks, except that they look impressive, when it comes to fighting or defending yourself you are not going to be using the high kicks.. i am trained not to do high kicks.. i aim for the soloplex of a person's body and that is it, i was trained that high kicks are not good because you may lose your balance and lose the fight, so why take the chance?. like was said, start low and eventually you will get high..

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/27/08 03:10 PM

While I'm not advocating high kicks in the street, they do seem to work in these cage fighting competitions when performed unexpectedly. Throwing them often is ridiculous, but I've seen a hell of a lot of fights ended with a one-off roundhouse or hook kick to the head. Saying this, in the street I would never kick high unless I seriously outclassed the opponent in speed and skill.

You should definitely keep the kicks low for a while. Kicking high is as much to do with technique as it is with flexibility, and you'll master it low with a lot more ease.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/28/08 12:30 AM

Quote:

my advice is keep your high roundhouse kicks in the dojo.i wouldnt personaly kick higher than waist level on the street .

You kick people in the waist?

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/29/08 11:28 PM

You kick people in the waist?

i think youll find i said not higher than
Posted by: BruceLee94

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/30/08 05:34 AM

The highest i would go in a street fight would be in the stomach, but what he means is, don't kick towards the high stomach and upwards, because it's easier to counter, and if somebody catches your leg, you're in a bit of an awkward spot.

Re: Roundhouse Height - 05/30/08 09:15 AM

well remember what bruce lee said to reach me you have to move to me so your attack offers me a chance to intercept you,so im using my longest weapon my side kick against the nearest target your kneecap .

so thats what i look for, striking the knee area on your apponents step forwards .
Posted by: BruceLee94

Re: Roundhouse Height - 06/06/08 04:15 PM

yep, or just the stop kick basically.