The relevance of the power side forward theory

Posted by: Sensei_Kreese

The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 04:27 AM

What is everyone's take on this? I see JKD practitioners that use it, and a LOT that don't. Without bashing anyone, I have seen people who fight in the UFC who claim some sort of background or affiliation to JKD-related schools, who, when they fight, appear as though they either A. Have never learned it or trained it properly, or B. Just don't think much of it. Thoughts?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 08:28 AM

IMHO, while power side forward is good for speed, a lot of people feel the extra torque and distance derived from power side back is more practical. Personally, I train to use both leads fairly equally. But that's another thread.
Posted by: SifuLMDII

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 10:47 AM

The power side forward is a key component to practicing Jeet Kune Do as developed, practiced and taught by Bruce Lee. It is mainly the JKD concept practitioners who train with the power side back, as they have taken more of a "whatever" type attitude. Most people, until they experience Jeet Kune Do (or rather REAL Jeet Kune Do), are used to standing more like a boxer, with the power side back. Many instructors seek the easy way out when teaching, therefore just allowing the students to stay in the weak side forward position as if it is no big deal! Well, IT IS a big deal! I would go so far as to say that it is so important that if you don't assume the bai jong with your power side forward at least 90% of the time, you aren't really doing Jeet Kune Do! Jeet Kune Do is designed for self defense, not for sport, therefore it is important to follow ALL of the principles set forth by the founder, not just pick and choose those that you want to! Remember, the lazy or easy way out never accomplished much of anything! Learn right, train right, fight right!

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 10:58 AM

Hi Lamar. Doesn't that seem a bit contradictory to the JKD ethos to adhere rigidly to the power side forward theory? Certainly boxers and MMA folk can make power side rear work. Perhaps PSF was something Bruce himself found useful, and I agree that students should be exposed to it. But after seeing both ways, is there any value in continuing to follow it if the student finds PSB to be better for them?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 11:05 AM

Quote:

The power side forward is a key component to practicing Jeet Kune Do as developed, practiced and taught by Bruce Lee. It is mainly the JKD concept practitioners who train with the power side back, as they have taken more of a "whatever" type attitude. Most people, until they experience Jeet Kune Do (or rather REAL Jeet Kune Do), are used to standing more like a boxer, with the power side back. Many instructors seek the easy way out when teaching, therefore just allowing the students to stay in the weak side forward position as if it is no big deal! Well, IT IS a big deal! I would go so far as to say that it is so important that if you don't assume the bai jong with your power side forward at least 90% of the time, you aren't really doing Jeet Kune Do! Jeet Kune Do is designed for self defense, not for sport, therefore it is important to follow ALL of the principles set forth by the founder, not just pick and choose those that you want to! Remember, the lazy or easy way out never accomplished much of anything! Learn right, train right, fight right!

Hello

Forgive me, but something about your post doesn't sound right. I don't think Bruce Lee expected anyone to follow all his principles and just accept them to be true, I think that would be the total opposite of "real" Jeet kune Do. To me it seems you are trying to stylize Jeet Kune Do something which cannot be done, JKD cannot be and should not be stylized no standardize because each person is different, what works for one may not work for another. Furthermore Dan Inosanto himself has gone on record in his videos Difinitive Collection of JKD/FMA. He states that some people have accused him of "muddying" the waters of Jeet Kune Do because he has now developed his method of training which has been altered from the original method Bruce taught him. And because he chooses to train outside the box like Bruce. People expect him to crystallize Jeet Kune Do instead of keeping it a progressive fighting art and allowing it to evolved into something beyond Bruce Lee. I believe those who think that way only hurt Bruce Lee legacy that which is Jeet Kune Do.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 12:15 PM

Hi Guys!

There are certain principles that should be observed in order for what you are doing to be Jeet Kune Do! These guiding principles are the keys to making Jeet Kune Do work as Bruce Lee intended for it to. In other words, they give it the necessary structure. Power side forward is one of these principles. There are several elements that make Jeet Kune Do what it is. Without the inclusion of these elements, it is not Jeet Kune Do. It is just kickboxing!

There IS a definite structure to this art! A way to stand (bai jong), footwork (push shuffle, sidestep, pendulum shuffle, lunge, etc.), hand techniques (chung chuie, bil jee, qua chuie, oou chuie, etc.), leg techniques (jik tek, juk tek, oou tek, hou tek, dum tek, etc.), lin sil die dar (simultaneous defense and attack), chi sao (sticking hands), phon sao (trapping hands), Bruce Lee's Five Ways of Attack (SDA/SAA, ABC, PIA, HIA, ABD) and so on! The old "well anything I want to call Jeet Kune Do is Jeet Kune do" is a load of crap! Too many hold on to all of the philosophical things they have read that were stated by Bruce Lee. One thing that most people fail to realize is that most of the things that have been published as Bruce Lee's writings are actually just notes that he took from various other publications. This has recently been proven, and brought into the light by a book that was written by my good friend James Bishop! Many people have been shocked to find out just how much of the material published as Bruce Lee's writings were not actually his at all, but notes taken from other sources! The stuff that has been published as his writings was never intended for publication! Too many people take things out of context based on the importance they place on certain writings! Most of these people felt like complete idiots when they found all of this out! Most of what was in the Tao of Jeet Kune Do would have never been published had Bruce Lee lived! IT WAS HIS NOTES!NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!

That's why I get so sick and tired of reading all of this philosophical stuff posted on the forums by so many people to try and back up their horribly mis-conceived notions as to what Jeet Kune Do is! Jeet Kune Do is a highly scientific method of self defense, based on highly effective, solid scientific principles that will remain constant from now until the end of time! This is THE TRUTH whether anyone likes it or not!

You mentioned Dan Inosanto. Even Dan Inosanto keeps Jeet Kune Do separate from the other arts he teaches, and actually has a Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do class at his academy. He recognizes that it has a structure!

BRUCE LEE'S JEET KUNE DO
Power Side Forward
Bai Jong Position (Small Phasic Bent Knee Stance)
Centerline Preservation
Maximum Economy of Structure
Simplification Over Complication
Light, Quick, Explosive Footwork
Shifty, Alive, Evasive Body Movements
Dynamic Entering Techniques
Longest Weapon to Nearest Target
Emphasis On Interception
Straight and Curved Line Attacks
Aggressive Attack Empasized Over Defense
Lin Sil Die Dar (Simultaneous Defense & Attack)
Bruce Lee's Five Ways of Attack

There is a specific progression to the training! The bottom line is, IF YOU ARE NOT DOING THESE THINGS & FOLLOWING THESE PRINCIPLES, THEN YOU ARE NOT DOING JEET KUNE DO! It's just that simple!

It amazes me how there are so many "JKD wannabe's" out there that are willing to say or do anything to try to convince someone that they know what they are talking about and know how to teach Bruce Lee's art! The truth of the matter is that they don't have the slightest clue what JKD really is! Jeet Kune Do is not a "smorgasboard" of martial arts techniques randomly thrown together! It is not a "be whatever you want it to be" martial art! That is WRONG! And to follow that approach and tell someone you are teaching Jeet Kune Do is WRONG! HORRIBLY WRONG! If that is what you are doing, then CALL IT SOMETHING ELSE! IT IS NOT JEET KUNE DO! This is not what Bruce Lee was doing, and this is certainly not where he was headed with the development of his art! He was still chiselling away the inessential elements of combat, not constantly adding "this art" or "that art" to what he was doing!

I hope I have not offended anyone with this post, as that is not my intention! I just get tired of all of the misconceptions as to what TRUE Jeet Kune Do is! I have been training in this art for thirty years! Trust me, I know what I am doing!

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 01:53 PM

Lamar -

I note you wrote this:

Quote:

BRUCE LEE'S JEET KUNE DO

I am a bit confused. I thought that Jun Fan was BL's personal take on the system, and JKD was the vehicle for everyone else to find their own personal expression of it.

So would you say that a boxing based JKD (as opposed to Wing Chun) would not be considered true JKD? Do you think it's important for JKD to use specific techniques and styles from which to base itself on?
Posted by: modernsamurai

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 04:15 PM

Lamar

I think it is important to distinguish between JKD Core people and JKD concepts people.

You seem to be a pretty die hard CORE person. Which is great, I think it is important to preserve the teachings of Bruce Lee for historical perspective.

Concept JKD on the other hand is concerned with building on the ideas presented by Bruce Lee.

Neither method is wrong, and both methods are JKD. To say that all concept JKD is not true JKD is a very bold thing, and I believe that many of Bruce Lee's original students would disagree with that statement. I know for a fact that Guru Dan and Larry Hartsell could care less if you stand SSF or SSB.

Just for the record I choose to stand SSF but I understand that which hand is forward does not dictate the effectiveness of a persons JKD.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 06:41 PM

My first thought would, who cares what side forward you have? That isn't to say what is right or wrong with JKD, just a question.

What if I'm ambidextrous?

-John

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 08:08 PM

Hello Everyone!

Jeet Kune Do IS a POWER SIDE FORWARD art! Bruce Lee set forth a series of principles that made Jeet Kune Do what it is, and that is one of the most important principles! This primarily has to do with interception, as you use your power side, which needs to be closest to the opponent so it can be applied in a non-telegraphic manner! Besides, if either hand needs more distance to travel to generate force, it is your weaker side. Remember, Jeet Kune Do means “the way of the intercepting fist”. With your power hand forward you can intercept an opponent with knockout force!

For many years, tradition dictated that you should place the power side to the rear and the weaker side up front. The idea being to use the lead hand as your primary defense tool while reserving the rear, stronger hand for the “killing blow”! If you think about it, it really doesn’t make sense! Your weaker hand is closer to the opponent where it can easily strike, yet the power hand is further away where the opponent has more time to see it coming! More time to see it coming translates as more time to block, parry or simply get out of the way!

Think of this as if we were talking about firearms. This is like having a .22 caliber handgun positioned so that you can’t miss with it and a .44 caliber handgun positioned so that you don’t have time to effectively use it! Why not place the power side to the front? Then the rear, weaker side has more travel distance to generate power! Now you have two .44 caliber handguns! I refer to this as the “two gun” theory. Why only have one effective gun when you could have two? Think about it! It really makes sense!

As for mixing other arts with Jeet Kune Do, this is EXACTLY how Bruce Lee felt about it. Jerry Poteet asked Bruce Lee if he could mix some Jeet Kune Do drills in with the kenpo karate that he was already teaching. This was the letter that he got back from Bruce Lee:

X is Jeet Kune Do.
Y is the style that you will represent.

To represent and teach Y, one
should drill its members according
to the preaching of Y.

This is the same with anyone
who is qualified and has been
approved to represent X.

To justify by interfusing X and Y
is basically the denying of
Y ......... but still calling
it Y.

A man, as you put it, is one
who is noble to stick to the
road he has chosen.

A garden of rose will yield
rose, and a garden of violets
will yield violets.

That pretty much says it all!
Posted by: Sensei_Kreese

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/25/07 11:18 PM

A lot of people tend to go by what is written in the Tao without doing much research into the rest of Bruce Lee's writings, opting instead to follow the idea that JKD is a loosly based, poorly organized, set of 'ideas' about training. I have heard a lot of people say that there is a difference between what Bruce Lee meant for himself, and what he meant for his students. How can that be? And, who did it stem from? Let me ask this. Why would Bruce Lee teach all of the things to his students that Sifu Davis has detailed in his post about what is and what isn't JKD, if he meant for it to be for himself? Im confused there.

That's like saying that if you train in BJJ and your coach tells you that all the moves he is teaching is really just what works for him, you go find your own way to do this stuff...oh, and don't worry about any of the structure. yeaah, i taught you that to jam your arm inside your opponents legs in order to break open the guard is bad, but do what you like.

I am not trying to argue with anyone or show idol worship, but does it make sense for Bruce Lee to have a large group of students, teach them what he feels is a solid foundation for self defense, then tell them it only works for him? I think I would ask for my money back, don't you?

I have met a lot of JKD practitioners from both sides of the coin. When I trained with my PFS buddies, one being a Full Instructor under Vunak, they had a smidgeon of understanding about Bruce Lee's art. So, either Vunak has cut down on what he teaches (taught) or he only knew what Dan showed him. That is not to say Dan didn't have a good grasp on everything Bruce taught to him at the time, but do you think that maybe...just maybe, there were things he taught to Jesse Glover, Taky Kimura, Ted Wong, and others that Dan might not have been privy to or had quite as strong of an understanding as they did.

I would like to ask Sifu Davis a question. Sir, is it true that the most Senior student that Bruce Lee had, was in fact James Lee? I head that James' passing fueled a lot of Bruce Lee's decision to close his schools. I apologize if i have that wrong.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 01:53 AM

Hello Sensei Kreese!

Taky Kimura was considered Bruce Lee's senior most student. Jesse Glover actually trained with Bruce Lee first, but did not continue to train with him after he opened his Seattle kwoon. James Lee was instrumental in the development of Jeet Kune Do, as he was teaching for Bruce Lee in Oakland when the famous Wong Jak Man challenge fight occurred. It was after this fight that Bruce Lee decided to change his method, and Jeet Kune Do was born. In Bruce Lee's own words, Jeet Kune Do consists primarily of Wing Chun Gung Fu, boxing and fencing. Those are the big three! Of course, Bruce Lee's innovative abilities were the most important thing in the development of Jeet Kune Do. So to answer your question, Taky Kimura is considered to be Bruce Lee's senior student, because he stayed with him for the longest period of time ... from Seattle right up until his passing.

According to Bruce Lee, the main reason that he closed his formal kwoons was that he was getting more involved in TV and motion pictures, and he knew that he would not be around very much to maintain the quality control that he liked to exert over his kwoons. He was afraid that in his absence, some of the students may not "get it" as he used to say! He was very proud of his Jeet Kune Do, and he wanted those training in his art to do it right. He asked his assistant instructors to close down the formal kwoons, and concentrate on teaching a few students that did "get it"! Thank God that many of them are still with us to share their knowledge!

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 11:31 AM

Hmmmm......I guess I'm not understanding the original question, then. Is the relevance for JKD only?

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 11:42 AM

Hi Matt!

Well, I am talking about Jeet Kune Do! I thought that is what we were discussing here! As for other arts, I don't really know of any that place a lot of emphasis on power side forward. It seems that most sport arts place the power side to the rear, but I'm sure you know that Jeet Kune Do is not for sport.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 11:44 AM

Honestly, I'd say power side forward is only a rule so long as it works for you. If you can find a useful way to apply power side back(perhaps because of previous training in Boxing/Boxing-like Arts?) why not? So long as you can make it work effectively and efficiently, what's the question?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't saying "THIS is JKD and this is NOT JKD because it is not part of [person's] cirriculum..." make JKD into another style like all the others? Like, how at my old Kempo school there was the "kempo" punch which was different from the TKD punch, which is in turn different from the Hsing-Yi punch. Wouldn't saying "This is THE JKD stance employed by Bruce Lee, and not using to would divorce your technique from REAL JKD." turn JKD into a style like all the rest; just the method of a dead man being taught to many alive people? As oipposed to, of course, teaching them how to use their body effectively according to whatever they can find that works, which would of course include the base which their instructors give them? And, anybody in their right mind who has read a lick of material about JKD or anything written by Bruce knows he was against such things happening.

Not to atack anyone, I'm just stating my thoughts.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 12:00 PM

Lamar -

I guess I'm not getting the distinction. JKD is about fighting, and I fail to see the relevance of using PSF versus PSB. It can be done either way, right? I fail to see how "sport" really alters the effectiveness of the position.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 12:43 PM

OK, it is actually very simple! Jeet Kune Do means "Way of the Intercepting Fist". It DOES have a DEFINITE structure! There are DEFINITE guidelines for what it is and what it is not! If you have not read the book "Jeet Kune Do: Commentaries On The Martial Way", please do so ASAP. If you read it carefully, you will find that Bruce Lee definitely had a structure for his art. It was not/is not just a conglomeration of different things thrown together because that is what you want it to be! You are either practicing Jeet Kune Do or you are not practicing Jeet Kune Do! If you are legitimately training in Jeet Kune Do, you are following the guidelines set forth by the founder for what Jeet Kune Do is! If you are NOT following those structural guidelines, regardless of what you may choose to believe, you ARE NOT training in Jeet Kune Do! You may choose to say you are training in "JKD concepts", which seems to be a little bit of everything, but you are not training in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do!

Now, power side forward is one of the main guiding principles of Jeet Kune Do emphasized by Bruce Lee, and Jeet Kune Do is a power side forward art. This is for interception purposes, as well as for practicality. You want the power side forward so that you have knockout potential with the hand that is closest to the target.

Jeet Kune Do consists primarily of techniques and principles from Wing Chun Gung Fu, Boxing and Fencing. The rest of the composition of the art comes from Bruce Lee's personal innovations, unique applications and effective blending of the three arts mentioned above.

What Bruce Lee said in articles and what he said to his personal students was often two different things. In the articles, he was trying to be somewhat "politically correct" with the way that he addressed personal issues, hoping to draw more people to his art of Jeet Kune Do. With his personal students, he took on a more "this IS Jeet Kune Do and this is NOT Jeet Kune Do" type attitude, clearly defining to them EXACTLY what Jeet Kune Do consists of. He did not want other arts mixed with his Jeet Kune Do, nor did he want the structure changed! Go back and read the "X and Y" letter in one of my previous posts in this thread. That shows what he thought of mixing Jeet Kune Do with other arts, or other arts with Jeet Kune Do! It's pretty clear if you just empty your cup and read! Hopefully this is cleared up, as I am growing rather tired of writing on this subject!

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 01:36 PM

Quote:

With his personal students, he took on a more "this IS Jeet Kune Do and this is NOT Jeet Kune Do" type attitude, clearly defining to them EXACTLY what Jeet Kune Do consists of.

Lamar -

No disrepect or agitation intended. But I feel that my questions are fair.

As noted above, Both Dan Inosanto and Larry Hartsell were personal students of BL, and neither one of them adhere dogmatically to PSF. All of BL's writings that I have seen seem to indicate a distaste for "style" as opposed to utility. How do you reconcile Inosanto's viewpoint, then?

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 01:38 PM

JKD Concepts!
Posted by: modernsamurai

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 06:28 PM

I am glad to see you answer the previosu post that way. I think it is very important to understand the difference between CORE and CONCEPTS. I never studied with Bruce Lee so I can not say with any certainty what his opinion was. I have read a large amount of his writings. Which until proven otherwise (by documentation, not opinion) I will continue to consider his thoughts on the matter.

I think if you are concerned with practicing CORE JKD then Lamar is right, you would need to keep the PSF. This is necessary because CORE JKD is about preserving Bruce Lee's art as it was presented to certain people, at a certain time, in a certain place by Bruce Lee.

If you practice JKD CONCEPTS, you will need to understand the theory behind PSF but you do not need to strictly adhere to it, if it is not the most eefficient stance for you. JKD CONCEPTS is not about preservation, it is about evolution. It is concerned with keeping JKD an efficient and relevant art for self defense.

I think it is good to have people like Lamar who are mostly concerned with perserving JKD. Just like a think it is good to have people teach traditional shotokan or aikido. However not everyone is concerned with training and doing what Bruce Lee did. Not everyone wants to be a carbon copy of someone who lived in a very different time and subsequently had to deal with very different self defense issues. For people who aren't concerned with preserving the art but who are concerned with the preservation of themselves PSF or PSB is irrelevant.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/26/07 11:08 PM

I'm having a hard time seeing how this PSF is an advantage.

unless PSF is a kamae (ready position/fighting stance) ..in which case it's not useful as a large part of SD training since 'squaring-off' into a fighting stance assumes you'll have time to do so.

in this video, for instance...is the 'power side forward' theory being imployed?
http://www.worldblackbelt.com/pages/oct06.31_PageOne.asp#
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/27/07 04:18 AM

Seems many of us may be confused as to what JKD truly is. JKD is not a style or system, it is a guideline of scientific principles that serve to stimulate ones own self exploration, and growth. Though the question"How do I fight well?" is the same for everyone, the answer is often very very different, as we are all different people, with different life experiences, different thought processes and different physical abilities.

Self exploration is key. You must be able to honestly look at the way you do things and be able to except when something just doesnt work for you, put it aside and move on to something else that does work. You also need self exploration to be able to honestly evaluate ones weaknesses and address them as they truly need to be not only in martial arts but in life as well.

Remember that Bruce said these words. "The man is always more important than the style"

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/27/07 10:10 AM

Chen -

Quote:

JKD is not a style or system, it is a guideline of scientific principles that serve to stimulate ones own self exploration, and growth. Though the question"How do I fight well?" is the same for everyone, the answer is often very very different

That was my understanding as well.
Posted by: jude33

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/27/07 05:23 PM

Quote:

What is everyone's take on this? I see JKD practitioners that use it, and a LOT that don't. Without bashing anyone, I have seen people who fight in the UFC who claim some sort of background or affiliation to JKD-related schools, who, when they fight, appear as though they either A. Have never learned it or trained it properly, or B. Just don't think much of it. Thoughts?

If the majority of people have a strong side which is the right side.
Left side forward fighting in boxing has been said to have stemmed from the era of bare fists
If Hagler was a PSF fighter/right side forward in most of his early fights and it can be seen that most of his opponents would get realy confused and hit.Often.
If most street fights are fists and feet with some crappling and in the main street fighters are left side forward(don’t ask me why they just seem to be)
Then most people who are left side forward are wide open to a decent trained southpaw.With power side forward?.
Certain trainers of MMA insist on PSF.
So given all this it might make sense that people do train PSF for self defence?
After some time in training then shouldn’t both side be then power sides?
Then maybe more techniques are added?
Either way I think in the main a correctly trained PSF south paw fighting a left handed forward fighter then the left handed fighter has problems.

Perhaps that is why PSF was required By Bruce Lee?.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/27/07 10:22 PM

PSF is designed with these things in mind. The dominate hand is the most accurate hand, and most powerful hand, and also the fastest of any of your weapons. You want it to be the closest to your opponent. This will also fascilitate intercepting the opponent, counter hitting and stop hitting as well.

Also since your weak hand is now your rear hand, it will gain power through momentum, eliminating the weak side. Also it serves its purpose in defence as well blocking or parrying the "deeper" shots that an opponent may throw your way.

Also when is PSF your dominate leg is forward as well, giving you more speed for snappy kicks such as front kick, and you still have your rear leg for thai style roundhouse kicks, or low level savate kicks. If your Dominate leg is forward, it also maes it easier to stuff kicks, or trap the opponents foot, which Im a huge fan of.

This is just some of the things Bruce was talking about when he spoke of economy in motion.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/28/07 04:52 AM

Hi Chen. I’m glad you stayed. Any forums on the internet would seem some what empty with out your presence and your ability to clarify things.

I have (in the past) looked at the early bare knuckle boxing era. This is what I have found.
Power (right) side to the rear because the majority of people are right handed and use the right hand more frequently.
Posting (stiff arming an opponent) with the lead(left) arm then using straight(rear hand) rights and swings
No left jabs. Untill James. J.Corbett figured out another use for the left hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI6D9Djhv-k

Looking at these videos things don’t seemed to have changed much? Perhaps it is mans instinct to fight(unarmed) this way
Plenty of posting and rear hand swings.and in the main power side to the rear.

I think given Bruce Lee’s concepts(PSF) were based on self defence then they make good sense to anybody who is attacked by any one fighting on the above video.

Just a point. This video.Not sure I like it.http://www.worldblackbelt.com/pages/oct06.31_PageOne.asp#

What do you think Chen?

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/28/07 04:59 AM

Hi.Lamar
You have written some excellent books with a lot of logic.
I hope you stay around on these forums.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/28/07 07:55 PM

Going along with what Chen said, in proffessional fighting you are going for many rounds with little rest in between. Only in the most comical and Benny Hill inspired of instances will you ever last that long in a streetfight, so indeed keeping the strongest side forward so that you can hit more powerfully with a "weaker" punch will serve you better than keeping it back.

Re: The relevance of the power side forward theory - 04/28/07 10:31 PM

Thanks Jude, I appreciate that.

I think that if you have two right handed guys, or roughly the same speed power and skill, the one in PSF is going to have a distinct advantage.

Your weak hand must pass my strong hand to make contact. If we both jab at the same time for instance, my strong hand/fast hand, is going to land before your slower weaker hand. Also, my stronger hand has much more chance of breaking through your defence, or stopping you when it hits. If you are an orthodox fighter your power has much farther to travel, also making it slower. You might land one out of three power shots, whereas an PSF fighter most likely is going to land a higher percentage of shots with his power hand. Thats how fights are often won, with repeated damaging blows, very rare is the case that you get the one hitter quitter.