would you recommend this gym?

Posted by: vgnpwr801

would you recommend this gym? - 03/12/07 04:39 PM

http://www.bernalesinstitute.com/

Its the only JKD gym I have found in my area. I emailed the Bruce Lee Foundation to see what they though, but I got back a form letter stating they will have info on instructors soon.

Thanks.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 03/12/07 07:14 PM

They are affiliated with CSW which is Erik Paulson's group. Run, don't walk to that school and begin training. They look like a pretty good bunch to me. Personally speaking, I would NOT take the Bruce Lee foundations word for damn near anything.

-John
Posted by: vgnpwr801

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 03/13/07 11:46 AM

Ok.

Ive never trained in any JKD gym before, I called them and they told me its 125 dollars a month for training. Is that about average, cheap, or overpriced?

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 03/16/07 06:01 PM

Their location is Salt Lake City, Utah. What I would do is check around and do some comparison shopping. Find out what the general going rate is for martial arts training in that area and see if their rate is competitive with the others. If so, I don't see a problem and if you feel good about the place, give it a try.

Otherwise there are probably a LOT of good schools in that area that offer good, functional, "alive" training.

-John
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 03/17/07 01:21 AM

Trust what Good Sir Kogas has to say about the Bruce Lee foundation.

And if the guy from that gym can genuinely present certification from Guro dan Inosanto's line, it probably ain't exactly terrible JKD.

Further, as I tell all of my friends looking to join a place, watch a class or two, talk to the guy running it, make sure YOU like it before anything else. If you do not feel this is where YOU are to be, do not even think about joining up and forking over money.

By the way, I pay about $25 a lesson for my JKD. Then again, I get one hour private lessons every week cause that's how my instructor runs it, but if you get the whole package or more than one day a week, it ain't bad a pricing.
Posted by: Sensei_Kreese

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 04/19/07 11:02 PM

The price is probably for more than just JKD training, as they do a lot of MMA stuff, i.e. grappling, MT, etc. But, check it out first, then see what you want to do, and see if there is anyone else in your area before committing to anyone
Posted by: SifuLMDII

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 04/20/07 11:16 AM

I charge $100.00 a month for group classes, so $125.00 a month is not that bad! Go watch a few classes and see what you think. If you get a good feeling about it, then give it a shot!

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 04/20/07 11:30 AM

Welcome Sifu Davis. We're honored to have you here! I hope you'll remember me from our emails a while back. Always good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well!

-John
Posted by: SifuLMDII

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 04/20/07 11:36 AM

Hi John!

Of course I remember you! Thank you for the warm welcome! It is good to be here! So far this seems like a great forum!

Re: would you recommend this gym? - 04/20/07 05:22 PM

Good deal. It isn't too bad but, you know how the internet is, lol!

Take care!

-John