BELTS IN JKD

Posted by: dojorat

BELTS IN JKD - 03/02/07 06:11 PM

THERE IS A SCHOOL IN MY AREA WHERE THE STUDENTS WEAR GI'S AND BELTS. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NO BELT SYSTEM IN JEET KUN DO. DOES ANYBODY ELSE FIND THIS KIND OF STRANGE.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 03/02/07 06:22 PM

Yes its a bit odd but not surprising. Different people do different things and it depends on the motives behind using belts.

I personally am just not a big fan of the "belt" system for anything beyond performance grading. In many cases, this isn't the way it is.

I don't like the gi either but it does have some use.

Regarding a JKD that uses a belt system, make sure that their emphasis is solely on performance. If so, I don't see why it should be a big deal really. It's just clothing and a belt really. It seems like so many people see the gi as some magical garment. I can't understand this.

-John
Posted by: dojorat

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 03/02/07 07:35 PM

THANK YOU. AS FOR BELTS USED FOR PERFORMANCE,MY SON WAS IN THIS SCHOOL FOR 5 MONTHS AND ALL HE LEARNED WAS A GOOD SNAP FRONT KICK. SO WE LEFT.WE NOW PRACTICE SHOTOKAN.
Posted by: Taison

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 03/03/07 12:46 AM

AND YOU NEED TO LEARN NOT TO WRITE ALL IN CAPS.

Sheesh. Press the "Caps Lock" button to disable the capital letters. It's right next to "A" at the very far left end of the keyboard.

-Taison out
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 03/03/07 01:57 PM

Little touchy eh, Taison?

Dojorat,

Though he came across rather gruff, Taison does have a point about the caps. Thanks. Now to address your question, some JKD schools have adopted belt systems. But remember, a belt, really doesnt mean anything. If the quality is there its there, and if its not its not and no belt will change that.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 03/12/07 10:49 PM

Personally I would'nt even bother going to a "Jeet kune do" school unless it was run by Dan Inosanto himself.
People are all trying to cash in on the "JKD" craze, they just learn seveal styles of whatever and call it JKD, which is basically void when they add belt systems (Yes, I am aware people do this for different reasons as metioned before).

As far as I'm concerned, If it's not under Dan's juristiction then it's not JKD.

I know people are gonna respond with "Yeah, but everyone has their own definition and expression of JKD, ofcourse it's going to be different, bla bla bla...".
Well yes, technically this is true but you could do this with any art, like for example I could start a kickboxing school that does more ground work than stand up (Which I believe has actually been brought up on these forums somtimes in the last 2 years), or a boxing school that resembles the ITF, and still call it boxing.

I know it might sound like I'm trying to sound like a no nosense arse who has a fetish for absolutes but seriously, do you really thinks it's wise to go to a JKD school where they have belts? The very things that cause the big headed, stuck up attitude that is based on the illusion that everyone is impressed by whats around their waist rather than their actual ability?
And besides, who do you honestly think is going to give you a better base understanding in JKD? Dan? or some guy with a background of mainly karate and kickboxing and some BJJ?

My advice would be not to go to the school simply because it's a "JKD" school, but because of what it actually teaches and the quality of the learning that you and the other students are exposed to.

dcm
Posted by: Sensei_Kreese

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/19/07 11:17 PM

^^cutting the nose off despite the face huh? What's wrong with learning JKD from anyone who has a legit lineage from either Bruce or Dan. Dan, despite popular belief, is NOT the complete expert on Bruce Lee's art, because none exist. Bruce taught different things to different individuals as he progressed. In fact, compared to Jesse Glover and Taky Kimura (Bruce's highest ranked student) Dan is a "johnny come lately". There are also several others that trained under Bruce that have tons of valuable info to pass along, such as Ted Wong, Pat Strong, Steve Golden, and others.

Bottom line, train where you like, even if they use belts (not my cup of tea in regards to JKD) and have fun!

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/20/07 06:41 AM

Then there are guys like Burton Richardson, Erik Paulson, Chris Haueter, Roy Harris, Paul Vunak, Matt Thornton, Marc Denny....

The list of excellent "JKD" instructors goes on and on. Most of the above were Inosanto instructors. One man alone does not encapsulate the "truth in combat". No one can.

Even Bruce Lee said he was just a man pointing the way.

-John
Posted by: TeK9

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/25/07 06:37 PM

Don't forget Rick Young.'
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/26/07 11:11 PM

did BL ever issue rank or belts to anyone?

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/26/07 11:37 PM

Yes, Dan Inosanto, James Lee and Taky Kimura.

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 04/26/07 11:47 PM

really? I thought he avoided 'traditional trappings' ?
Posted by: Angharad_Rhydd

Re: BELTS IN JKD - 05/05/07 12:20 PM

He never issued belts, but he issued the raks of assistant instructor, I believe, to the three aforementioned people.