neck training

Posted by: Trejo539

neck training - 12/20/06 03:51 PM

In "Art of Expressing the Human Body" it is said that neck trainging is important to not getting knocked out. Ive been knocked out, and i was wondering how long should i train on my neck and what specific exercises. Or should i just follow the book?
I am just looking for opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in Advance
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: neck training - 12/21/06 12:06 AM

Work on moving your head from side to side or back and forward as if you were dodging punches. Also do slow and controlled circle excercises.
Posted by: migo

Re: neck training - 12/21/06 05:37 PM

Neck bridges, like wrestlers do.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: neck training - 12/26/06 12:12 AM

An example of how important neck training is, is my own experience. I've done Judo and Jujutsu for over 40 years along with the neck bridges and strengthening exercises that accompany it. Several years ago, I was helping someone teach a class on kesa gatame and showing how you could be rolled backwards if you didn't position your legs properly when the guy whose class it was rolled almost 90 degrees from the position he should have taken and put his entire body weight on my neck in a bent position.

$2000 worth of chiropractic work later, I was able to get back onto the mats for groundwork, but I still have neck trouble from the injury.

If you're going to do BJJ, Judo, or Jujutsu groundwork, there is nothing more important than neck conditioning. Even with it, there is a very good possibility you will come up with a neck injury at some point. The better shape your neck is in, the better the results of protecting yourself from those injuries.

Posted by: TaeKwonBoxer

Re: neck training - 01/20/07 10:13 PM

Quote:

In "Art of Expressing the Human Body" it is said that neck trainging is important to not getting knocked out. Ive been knocked out, and i was wondering how long should i train on my neck and what specific exercises. Or should i just follow the book?
I am just looking for opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in Advance

at my high school we have a enck machine, for football, it helps a lot my neck size went from 14 to 17 after using it
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: neck training - 01/20/07 10:16 PM

I just saw your answer. Good suggestion.

I also use to use one of the neck machines but I never saw much result other than tension headaches.
Posted by: 5353

Re: neck training - 01/23/07 02:02 AM

lay on your back onthe end of a bench and let your head hang over the edge. curl your neck up so that your chin is touching the upper part of your chest.roll over to a side and curl up so your ear is touching your shoulder. due both sides and finish by laying on your stomach and curl your neck up as far as it goes. make sure to work all four directions, do them in a slow ,controlled fashion and do no less than 25 reps each way