Leading finger jab

Posted by: RazorFoot

Leading finger jab - 11/09/06 07:36 AM

Does anyone use this technique when they spar or train? I have had to fight against a buddy who used it quite effectively. It obscures my vision when he puts it out in front of my face. You go to grab or trap it and realize it was just bait to elecit a response to create an opening in your guard.

When someone uses it well, it is a longer weapon than a regular jab, faster than a regular jab, and a bit more difficult to counter. And as an offensive weapon, it is probably the fastest and most economical strike to use.

I am still tryin to get my mechanics down right to use it effectively. Just like everything else, do it wrong and it might get you hurt.

Scottie
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/09/06 07:48 AM

I have had them done to me as well. A student once popped me in the mouth with one, and while not a KO by any means, it was quite painful, and works well to set up a harder second strike.
Posted by: Spade

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/09/06 04:48 PM

I'm not familiar with this technique, is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/09/06 05:02 PM

Quote:

...is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?

The way that I do it is. I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of this technique however.

-John
Posted by: TheRealChen

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/10/06 01:52 AM

Im not a fan of it much either though its a great grappling move if he doesnt know how to do an arm bar.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/10/06 02:56 AM

I would do it as a counter in order to get in close range so I can smother my opponent with a straight blast or elbows.

A jab is a jab no matter what tool you use.

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/10/06 06:49 AM

My point wasn't to say that the eye jab doesn't or can't work. I believe it could be successful some of the time. No one can say for sure because it's a difficult move to hit on your training partners.

Now I've been hit in the eye by guys wearing BOXING gloves (of all things). You'd not think that could happen, but those of you that have boxed can probably relate.

My eye was watering, my vision was a little obscured (not a great deal because I still had some vision and that of the other eye) and although it was a little uncomfortable, I wouldn't really consider it painful.

What I have always done with success when that sort of thing happens and I'm being fired upon is just to crash right into the "energy" and clinch up, where I don't really need to "see" to begin with.

That is one benefit of doing pummeling with your eyes closed (as well as ground grappling).

-John
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/13/06 11:25 AM

And some tools are more successful against some people than others. Done against me as a striker, it was pretty effective. Done against a trained grappler like JKogas, you are pretty much just pissing him off, lol. Which is why I am attempting to increase my grappling skills with time.

It is the quick short movement that gets people. In most cases where it has been effective (both on me and when using it), the person using the technique sticks the arm out in front, obscuring the vision and leaving it about a foot from target. There hope is that you will think easy target and try to grab and isolate the arm. Doesn't work that way. It is bait pure and simple. You reach for the out stretched hand and open your guard to which they take full advantage. If you ignore it and just try to maneuver around it, that is when they shoot it into your face/eyes.

It takes a little skill, like everything else, but if used well, another good tool to have.

Scottie
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Leading finger jab - 11/13/06 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?

The way that I do it is. I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of this technique however.

-John

Now I thought oyu were against using open hand strikes?
Posted by: Mormegil

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/12/06 11:06 PM

I find it akward to do while sparring, as I'm usually wearing boxing gloves.

On the other hand, wearing gloves would make it even more effective at obscuring your opponent's view. Maybe I should try it more.

If anything, it's also great for bridging the gap.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/12/06 11:07 PM

I like a good low level kick to bridge the gap.
Posted by: Mormegil

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/13/06 03:21 AM

Well use it as a feint to cover your low line kick. Isn't the "standard" thing to throw a finger jab, while you slide up (using slide and step), to fire the hook kick?

Or good for bridging high - low kick to close, finger jab to make contact for a lap sau or whatever from "reference position."

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/13/06 06:18 AM

Quote:

Now I thought you were against using open hand strikes?

I'm not AGAINST them. I just believe that in real fights, you're much more likely to close your fists instinctually.

-John

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/13/06 10:46 AM

Quote:

I'm not AGAINST them. I just believe that in real fights, you're much more likely to close your fists instinctually.

-John

Not sure I agree with that. Lots of untrained folks will scratch and gouge as in instinct. Were you refering to trained people? In that case, I would agree.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/13/06 12:56 PM

JK, for the most part I think you're right, but it depends on what you train most. If you train open hand strikes constantly you'll use those. Last fight I was en I used a palm heel thrust instinctually so I think it's largely training effects and influence.

Re: Leading finger jab - 12/13/06 05:27 PM

When attempting to HIT people clinch their fists. This says nothing about scratching and gouging.

-John

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 06:46 PM

I have never been knocked out, never caught one on the chin or the temple. But I have been eye gouged. This was not your typical poke in the eye this was done in free sparring. Let me say I never thought something like this could hurt so bad. it was nothing like an accidental eye poke. The pain was terrible that it dropped me down to my knee's, I felt completely off balance and dizzy. My eye turned red and started watering and the pain...did I mention the pain
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 08:16 PM

Yes I use the lead finger jab quite a bit in sparring. I find that it is (for me) faster than a jab and is usually followed by an attack on a different line. I usually aim for the forhead as it causes a flinch reaction and it gets them to focus on it, rather than what else is coming. (I liken it to driving at night in the heavy rain and getting stuck behind a large lorry. If you get fixated by looking constantly a the back of the lorry, you will never overtake it & my lead finger strike (hopefully) acts like that lorry).

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 08:41 PM

I too have been poked in the eye quite severely at times. Shook it off, no problem. Sure the eye watered a little, but did really nothing to slow me down.

Unless my eye was hanging by the optical nerve down around, say, my NOSE, I doubt very seriously that my game would slow any if at all. Even then, I would still continue to fight, like a cyborg.

Two things will stop me; if something major is broken or, if I'm knocked out. Anything else, forget it.

Do I or would I use it in sparring? Could someone tell me HOW you'd do this? Aim for the brow perhaps? Not really my cup of tea. I'd rather work my jab. If I can land the jab, I know I could reach my opponent with my fingers.

-John

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 08:52 PM

Quote:

I too have been poked in the eye quite severely at times. Shook it off, no problem. Sure the eye watered a little, but did really nothing to slow me down.

Unless my eye was hanging by the optical nerve down around, say, my NOSE, I doubt very seriously that my game would slow any if at all. Even then, I would still continue to fight, like a cyborg.

Two things will stop me; if something major is broken or, if I'm knocked out. Anything else, forget it.

-John

I consider eye gouges to be strikes like any other. They can be effective or not, like any other. They are not magical fight stoppers, but they are not worthless, either.

I have accidently gouged a few peoples eyes in training, and about half the time it stopped them cold.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 09:33 PM

If I am sparring and I am being Nice, I will aim for the brow, yes. But it is not a touch or a tap, it will sting.
It is not something that replaces a Lead Jab, but is additional to it and has a slightly longer range. From the opponent's perspective, the Finger Strike is harder to see it comming. I have also used the finger strike to whip into the side of the neck, which is also fun.
Posted by: Sensei_Kreese

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/25/07 11:00 PM

In a street fight, the quicker you can get to the eyes the better. The lead finger jab is not INTENDED to take someone out, although it could happen. Look at Randy Couture when he fougt Vitor Belfort and got scratched by his glove. Fight stopper. Of course, I wouldn't plan to end the fight with an eye jab, I would use it as my lead attack to set up for a follow up attack, if necessary. In sparring, about the only way you can safely do this is to wear a plexiglass face shield or something to that effect, even then, better be careful not to jam or break your fingers.

For a street attack, I would prefer to use open handed strikes as much as possible when striking the head area. But, like JKogas said, since I have trained my whole life to punch, it would take a conscious effort to keep from doing it. When adrenaline takes over in a real fight, MOST people will instinctively close their fist and rare back for the "John Wayne"

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/26/07 12:05 AM

About half the time you said you stopped them cold?

For me, I was stopped immediately. I had a very intense pain, and even with the one good eye I felt off balance. I didn't dropped to me knees because it felt like some foul shot like in a competitive match. I simply had no choice the pain was too great.

Like you said, would it knock someone out? Probably no, but it is a great opener for other possibilities. And if you just want to be humane about it, you can just end it with an eye gouge and run away.

I just finish watching Paul Vunak's Steet Safe series. In his series he deals with eye gouges and bites. He uses bites for ground grappling situations. They help to create space, which means when your in a guard position this allows you the space to get up.

A good grappler sticks to his opponents. As Mr. Vunaks states "A 150 pound man can feel like a 250 pound man if he is an excellent grappler." Bitting them in the right spot instinctively makes them want to separate from you and give you space. That is when you make your move to get off the ground.

What do you grappler's think of bitting? During your sessions in self defense, do you take bites into consideration?

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/26/07 10:42 AM

Biting? BLECH - utter last resort, IMHO. I'd rather not get the opponent's blood in my mouth.

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Leading finger jab - 04/27/07 04:19 AM

Works though, or did once anyways.

Re: Leading finger jab - 05/09/07 11:09 PM

Yea that was mentioned also, that is the first thing I thought of when he said it. But he mentions all sorts of different bites, like gnawing, pinching, and ripping the skin. From little bites to small onces, you don't necessarily have to rip the flesh. Especially in this day and age when the last thing you want is someones blood in your mouth. But as a last resort is is useful and should be considered, it is better than getting choked out or when your opponent has side control.
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Leading finger jab - 07/14/07 11:54 AM

Personally, I find it useful in fights but not suited to sparring. I don't spar with equipment,so I *could* use it, but when your sparring partner goes by Blackbelt 1st Dan, all you are doing is leaving a target open.
I use the finger jab to line up a shoulder tackle, a knee strike, or an elbow flurry, most of the time.
Against a trained or experienced adversary, using it to light up a body shot doesn't work too well, because one arm automatically covers the ribs whilst the other goes to your arm, I find.

EDIT- I don't limit myself to eyes with a finger jab though, I've used it quite effectively to attack the neck, stomach, and solar plexus.
Posted by: skinters

Re: Leading finger jab - 05/26/08 06:16 AM

the lead finger jab is not used by many and you talking about a technique to use on the street when you in a bit of bover but even then its likened to using a knife if you use it proper and hit the eyes or neck can be deadly .

ive never used it myself in past fights ive had. ive flicked my fingers at the face and eyes to annoy and make the eyes water but never jabbed the fingers like that .

jase .
Posted by: BruceLee94

Re: Leading finger jab - 05/28/08 10:10 AM

The lead finger jab is a very good technique, if you're in a close situation where you can't punch, a finger jab to the eyes will stun them really badly. IF you don't get their eyes, it will still probably make them flinch, e.g, put their hands to their eyes, and then, they're open. It doesn't need as much energy as a normal punch either, which is another good thing.