Training Apparell.

Posted by: Chen Zen

Training Apparell. - 10/30/06 11:15 AM

i no longer own a Gi. The two that I had, I lost about 3 years ago in a fire. I didnt wear them much anyways. Often, I train in whatever Im wearing that day. If I have boots on I train them. Ive always trained with shoes, because I couldnt imagine getting into too many barefoot punch outs. So, I was wondering how many of you still train Gi, or have some other sort of "work out" get up?
Posted by: jamesjj

Re: Training Apparell. - 10/30/06 01:37 PM

I train at home in anything really but i prefer shorts and NEVER wear any footwear at all. Just helps with mobility/footwork. Might as well train for maximum mobility and get into a fight with shoes on where you have limited manueverability. Just as it's better to practioce high kicks and then use low kicks in a fight. Your skills will be better all around when you train at a higher level. IMO.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Training Apparell. - 10/30/06 04:47 PM

But wouldnt the shoes effeact your speed and timing if it slows down your footwork? To me, I would train to work the least favorable positions, so as to be good then. That way if the conditions are better, then I will be better.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Training Apparell. - 10/30/06 05:56 PM

from time to time a few friends and i would go out in the back yard and basicly have a outdoor class with just the few of us. we wore prety mch just street clothes (shoes,long pants or shorts,t-shirts,sweaters,watches,jewlery ect.)

because it was just us we allowed the jewelery, and used it too when we got to rolling around and grapeling. i tell you it makes a difference to at least be aware of how other factors effect your ability to fight, like shoe kicks and scrapes, and choking people with there hemp necklace (tehe)

i think that it should be commen to practice to train once in a while with street clothes on, the options and stratigies change slightly and as far a self defence is concerned and i realy enjoyed it. i wish my dojo would have done it, im sure we could have learned more from someone with more expirence (ie. sony chiba, lol)

as far as my ma expirence, i've always trained in a gi. weather its to my advantage......
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Training Apparell. - 10/30/06 07:23 PM

I rarely ever wear a gi. A gi is “un-American”, lol. I mean, I wore one for about 2 or 3 HOURS last year when I was training with one of my coaches.

Most of the time I wear “sprawl” shorts and a t-shirt. I do not often wear shoes. Do I think that it will have an effect? To an extent, yes. I do believe there is a slight bit of a difference between being shoeless and wearing shoes.

But most of the day I am walking around in my shoes, so it isn't like I don't know what wearing shoes is like. That may seem insignificant but I believe it matters a great deal.

I am a grappler first and foremost. Honest to God, wearing shoes would likely only HELP me because of the added traction. The MAIN problem that I have encountered is when I am escaping side control with shoes on. Wearing shoes makes it slightly more difficult to obtain a guard position.

Having worn shoes enough before in training, and now predominately without, I personally feel the difference is minimal.

I'd say that you should train with shoes on occasionally if you don't normally wear them to at least appreciate the difference, however slight it may be.

I don't feel like I'm that affected by the difference.

-John
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Training Apparell. - 11/08/06 06:52 AM

Depends on what I am doing. When I train/teach my karate, I wear my gi for the most part but I don't ever use my gi for control on my opponents. I just like it for the pure fact its puts me in a mode.

Boxing / Muay thai I train in about 2 - 3 layers of clothing and I tend to strip in the middle of the gym floor. I like this because it like training with weighted clothing on and you can't beat a great sweat since all my workouts are geared to body effieciency instead of body building.

Ground work I have wear Underarmor shirts with my Gi pants sometimes I do train with gi tops but like I said its too easy to grab a gi that will not tear ><.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Training Apparell. - 11/08/06 10:02 AM

For training I prefer sweats. As far as footwork, it doesn't matter whether I train shoes or barefoot. My kicks are the same.

I can definetly see the benefits of a gi for judo and jujutsu unless they decided to teach techniques gi less, usually that wont happen though.

I actually realy dislike training in gi's especially the mandatory V-neck dobaks that we must use in Olympic style TKD. I dig the pants, I hate the top.