What's good to cross train with JKD?

Posted by: Darthmaul

What's good to cross train with JKD? - 06/22/06 09:34 PM

Well I know JKD is a great all round art. Right now, where I train, I can only go once a week. I was thinking, maybe try something new and also something that would help my JKD, maybe me a better martial artist, etc...

So what does everyone thing? Thanks.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 06/22/06 09:49 PM

Generally speaking, I would tell you to pick an aspect of your training that you feel is weak, and try to pick a style that would work it.

Alternatively, you could also ask your instructor to help you in the same way. (working on your weaknesses)
Posted by: Big_Rob

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/14/06 08:38 PM

Well considering that JKD is like cross training I would focus on something that you can not do in JKD such as RBSD or gun work. Something along those lines.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/14/06 09:22 PM

Good point, Big Rob. A good JKD school should be giving you a fairly well-rounded MA education by itself.
Posted by: chukspinna

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/14/06 11:33 PM

Seen as you can 'only go once a week' to your jkd class why dont you try thai/kick boxing or BJJ.I train thai regularily and anythin else i can get my hands on.So if you find a relaxed club you can incorporate your JKD principles.I do!!
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/18/06 06:24 PM

isnt it usually the other way around??

"how can I encorporate JKD into my training?"
Posted by: chukspinna

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/19/06 09:16 AM

Not sure what you mean mate.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/19/06 09:41 AM

You are right, but it depends on the way you look at it. I dont think people really want to get into the discussion (again), its outlined in 'What IS Jeet Kune Do' forum which is stickied.
Posted by: Taison

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/24/06 11:00 AM

Not to sound like a cynic, but I'd suggest some boxing. Get those punches up fast. Have free form, good footwork.

The kicks, grappling and clinching can come later with the jkd classes. It's all about the simple basic weapon. If you got lightning fast punches, all those other positions are there for you to choose.

-Taison out
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/25/06 07:08 AM

I would say that if you're going to box, you have to learn to sprawl at the same time. What good is boxing if you're only going to wind up on your back. You simply cannot separate striking and grappling during one's training.

-John

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 08/27/06 04:57 AM

True.

hmm. . this is a hard question. Well, do boxing and wrestling when not doing JKD?

-Taison out
Posted by: shadex

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 09/07/06 01:38 AM

Quote:

True.

hmm. . this is a hard question. Well, do boxing and wrestling when not doing JKD?

-Taison out

JKD is pretty much all arts included. It's the simple princeable of utilizing all forms within a specific mind set and philosphy. Take a look at his books, he has tons of wrestling moves that he incorperated in what he used for his useage of jeet kun do.

for the original poster, it depends on your body type. I'm 6'3 and have a large frame, so i tend to go with alot of ground fighting, grapples, boxing, ju-jitsu, and Mui-Tahi, as they work better for my body...being short quick movements based on phyiscal power. If your a smaller build, and quicker, you probly want some gung fu, wushu and other arts that complament movement and speed. Usually i find hard styles work better with bigger bodies and soft with smaller bodies. Of course a good mix in techniques is also essential to throw an opponent off in a fight.

Re: What's good to cross train with JKD? - 09/13/06 02:22 AM

Quote:

I'm 6'3 and have a large frame, so i tend to go with alot of ground fighting, grapples, boxing, ju-jitsu, and Mui-Tahi

Never heard of Mui-Tahi, mind explaining?

I understand what you mean by saying JKD is a philosophy of incorparating all arts, but what the original poster was asking was what he should do when he's not going to class, so figures.

What I don't suggest tho, is to go use all the plethora of arts there is. It will just confuse the practitioner, what I do recommend however is to take 2-3 arts, and work from there. Muay Thai, BJJ, add a little FMA and you got your purpose.

Quote:

If your a smaller build, and quicker, you probly want some gung fu, wushu and other arts that complament movement and speed. Usually i find hard styles work better with bigger bodies and soft with smaller bodies.

I do Baji-quan (It's called Hakkyoku-ken, here ) and it's designed for large people, I myself ain't that big. I don't really recommend doing CMA for speed. It's better to work on natural foot-work found in MT or Boxing and getting good at it. This will inhibit natural flow to your strategy. CMA, as sad at it may sound, sometimes tries to work too much on awkward stances and movement where they should be more natural, more flowing, more energy-efficient.

Quote:

Take a look at his books, he has tons of wrestling moves that he incorperated in what he used for his useage of jeet kun do.

I grew up to him, and I've read most of his books. I think I have a small idea what he was thinking but I doubt there's anyone that knows what he was thinking for sure. Who knows, maybe even Dan doesn't understand him?

Some people on this forum were there when he was alive, some objected against him (ButterflyPalm), some trained hard on his philosophy for a long time (JKogas). To be honest, long time ago, I was against his idea of teaching CMA to non-chinese, then I quickly realized, I ain't chinese.

-Taison out