Strong Side in the Front?

Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Strong Side in the Front? - 06/06/06 07:11 PM

It has been a few years since I've spoken to anybody in the JKD community. I am wondering about this, the bil jong "small phasic bent knee" stance with the more coordinated side facing the front. How many of you adapt this as your primary practice? When I was involved with a JKD school, it was the primary method used. However, I have found it to be less relevant now since I wear a pistol on the strong side and that method would be detremental to weapons retention. What are your thoughts on this?
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/07/06 06:09 AM

I dont think the advantages of using a strong lead stance took any weapons into consideration other than that of your own body. If you fight unarmed with this stance then use it when you are not endangered by an armed assailant and do not want to escalate things. Use your weapon using stance otherwise.

I dont suppose you fight as you would in JKD class with the gun in your hand so there shouldnt be any need to think about which stances to adopt. They are independant.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/07/06 11:55 AM

I used to be a southpaw but I've actually changed into more of an orthodox fighter. I train ITF TKD, and southpaw stance is by far the most common, because of the prevalence of lead leg kicks and punches. It suited me too, because my right side was evidently stronger and faster.

In the last year though, I've trained up my left side, so that it is very good at doing lead leg and hand techniques- I've sharpened up my jab and polished my sidekick. This means that I'm much happier using an orthodox stance, because I want to use my power punches and kicks on my strong side.

I have to say, I don't have a problem with carrying a gun, living in England, so I don't know how it would affect you if you carried a gu on your lead side. My advice is to switch to orthodox so that there's no risk of having your gun taken, or you could just stop carrying a gun.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/07/06 08:48 PM

you can get more power from orthadox stance than south paw, but you can fire faster from south paw. ( if you are right hand dominant that is) Also back leg kicks can generate far more hip movement, thus more power.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/07/06 08:50 PM

But "be like water" don't limit your self to one stance, train and be prepared with both sides.

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/09/06 11:20 AM

Actually I should probably clarify I don't go to j.k.d. classes anymore. I do, however, still employ some of the mechanics I learned there with the defensive tactics program. Among those are the same type of mobile footwork, using footwork to generate force, trapping hands, integration of sparring, physical conditioning, and development of attributes integrated with the p.p.c.t. program. I still am interested in j.k.d. however and like to hear practitioners' current take on training methods.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/09/06 01:03 PM

Again, to reiterate, you are going to be 'fighting' with the gun in your hand so you may as well do whats best with the gun, and whats best wrt 'fighting'. This is not really about which stance has which strengths or anything.

Re: Strong Side in the Front? - 06/13/06 09:48 AM

Quote:

Again, to reiterate, you are going to be 'fighting' with the gun in your hand so you may as well do whats best with the gun, and whats best wrt 'fighting'. This is not really about which stance has which strengths or anything.

Actually the purpose of the gun is part of a use of force curriculum for police training that spans from empty handed force to make arrests to deadly force with firearms. The proper stance for such is bladed off to one side. In order to retain the weapon in the holster while conducting an interview or while applying an empty handed technique or handcuffs, the strong side is placed in the back. The same concepts of mobility and using footwork to generate power through the body apply all the same.