JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands!

Posted by: Taison

JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/06 12:55 AM

This guy is the closest I've seen to the basic principle of JKD there is. Quick, economic and simple. No flashy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujXQ7ZMfCKI&search=Kempo

What do you guys think? If you look closely he only uses the toe kick and jab. I bet he can take down 3 guys in a matter of seconds with that speed.

-Taison
Posted by: Ayub

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/06 04:52 AM

Thats Tommy Carruthers, he is labelled the second Bruce Lee by some. His kicks are also lightning fast, and his conditioning is not bad either.

He's great but it sometimes seems as though he is pursuing Bruce Lee's abilities a little too much. He teaches JunFun stuff and often shows off one-inch punches, vertical v sits, and two finger one handed push ups.
Posted by: Cord

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/06 05:25 AM

impressive speed, but the question always remains as to how much of it he could use if his target was moving and hitting back- his hands there were consistently low, and his torso very stationary. That makes for a great drill, but by adding evasion and movement, his functional speed will suffer.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/06 05:45 AM

Also I wonder about putting to much speed into those technqiues. I am not sure much of the back fist done at great speed to the body will be as effective. Also with the ammount of targets he hits, it's almost like kenpo's "over kill" someimes it seems like it's all fluff, because he is looking for the traps, rather than just attacking.

In my opinon to many feint shots undermines the point of doing in the first place. Three strikes to the chest area and one final reverse punch to the face, seem a little fluffy.

With all those shots, I wonder if he is considering the reactions of the person who is getting hit, tring to block or falling back/retreating from the barrage of attacks. I wonder if he will see this or will he be to caught up in his rapid multiple strike combinations.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/01/06 01:00 AM

well u do have to consider that he was teaching so wouldnt exactly be in killing mode. He was showing what kinda targets to hit and how to his students. I'm sure many instructors out there who are legit and such dont kill the dummy when demonstrating to a class either. Hes just teaching and giving examples.

And he may fluff it up but that doesnt mean hes fake. Bruce did the same thing. He did pushups and v-sits and 1inch punches but im pretty sure he wasnt fake. He was showing people what JKD can offer. And of course marketing requires some kinda fluffing so there you have it.

But im sure anyone who trains to get that fast and that kind of strength has to have some legitimacy behind him.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/03/06 05:37 PM

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/04/06 02:01 PM

I would definitely have to see him against a resisting or attacking opponent to make any judgement call on his technique. But for what he's doing, it's impressive. The thing to remember about anyone who trains in trapping arts such as JKD, Kali or WC is that any good instructor will teach you that most of your technique will go out the window in a real fight, but you're better off training the h3ll out of it so that the option is there when it presents itself. Even the "masters" end up flailing and falling to the ground etc. in the real thing, but I bet that the guy with more balance and coordination stands a better chance of walking away than the average street thug. Also, a big, no HUGE part of any JKD curriculum that's worth a d@mn will teach you that the best skill you can learn is how to stay off line, meaning continuously keeping your center line out of range and taking your opponent off balance. Mastering this opens the doors a little wider for the flashy stuff.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/04/06 03:47 PM

I've seen this guy before and never ONCE against anyone who actually resists him in any way, shape or form.

Juat more demonstration work. That seems to be largely what many see as "training".

-John
Posted by: devinw

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/04/06 03:51 PM

He has more VIDS at his site Tommy Carruthers .com

John is right I have yet to see him against anyone really resisting him
Humbly posted
Devin Willis
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/06/06 07:17 PM

His hands appear as fast as I remember Ted Wong's, except the footwork isn't quite as involved. His attributes look like they're pretty well developed, but of course a live altercation would prove the system's worth.
Posted by: Hermes

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/12/06 01:20 AM

So I know what he says he teaches is JKD, and I'm sure there is some Wing Chun incorporated in it, but from his videos (at least the one linked to in the beginning) how does this differ from WC? It looks really similar...or is it because he uses some larger swinging motions?
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/13/06 10:09 AM

Quote:

So I know what he says he teaches is JKD, and I'm sure there is some Wing Chun incorporated in it, but from his videos (at least the one linked to in the beginning) how does this differ from WC? It looks really similar...or is it because he uses some larger swinging motions?

I just took the time to watch the rest of those video clips. Those movements are exactly as I remember them from what I did ten years ago.

The main difference between those movements and Wing Chun is the use of the bent-knee stance and footwork. Notice how he is constantly moving toward and away from the subject while applying the punching or kicking tools.

Also, the stance allows him to apply the push step with the back foot's heel raised an inch from the ground. This is the way tremendous force is generated with the lead hand. The kinetic energy is transferred directly from the back heel to the lead hand. A similar type of force is generated with the back foot sliding forward while applying the lead foot hooking kick.

Another main difference between the JKD and WC methodology is the emphasis on "disengagement" of the hands. The same trapping-hands techniques that are used in Wing Chun are practiced here, but to counter one who would use trapping, the hands are quickly disengaged and mobile footwork is used to gain a better position to launch a counter strike.

Notice also how when a punch is shot forward (engaged), the hand is retracted just as quickly to its original position (disengaged). Looking at the position of his elbows while he is punching shows how the punch is designed to minimize interference of the punch by an opponent skilled in trapping hands or grappling.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/16/06 01:21 AM

That kind of speed and body transfer is appliable in a fight, it doesn't matter about the what if, there will be a time when you get in range (unless you can unbalance him). But most people won't be able to counter that kind of speed unless you are as fast or have great timing. Trading shots with a guy like that sounds like 5-8 to 1, you better have a good chin.
Kicking, long front hand strikes to control him and clinching range might be safe if you are bigger or taller. Most JKD guys can counter the straight jab pretty easy from a person the same size.

But trading 5-8 to 1 is bad news, impressive speed, I had to watch to see if the video was speeding up it wasn't. Theres a lot of time that speed would be useable.

I hate sparring guys that much faster then Me.
Backfist to the body, is not a good strike in gloves, but bare fisted it can bust you up pretty bad, especially if its really a sharp TOOL. Man I wish I was that FAST!!!

I ain't hating, hes a bad man.
Posted by: tingtong

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 02/23/08 05:33 PM

how can you train to be that fast or better how can you train youre reaction time?
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 02/25/08 09:38 PM

years of proper practice under proper supervision.
Posted by: Taison

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 03/05/08 02:06 AM

Agreed.

-Taison out
Posted by: BruceLee94

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/07/08 01:05 PM

I don't believe bruce lee was on steroids at all, he kept amazingly fit, but have you seen his weight training program? I have, he built his mass, then he kept it, and made it so defined. He watched everything he ate, he ran everywhere, say if he was in town with friends and there would be steps, then he would challenge them to race him up the steps etc. He just kept going. He took so many vitamins, he constantly trained his abs, if he was with brandon, then he would bounce his on his belly. Things like that. He was just incredible. Steroids usually build great mass, even in those days, they were designed to give people a 'big build'.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/07/08 01:11 PM

LOL. Most off-topic post ever. Try reading the thread before responding next time.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/19/08 10:49 PM

this gy must be related to some other "un-named33" forum members.
Posted by: skinters

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/25/08 06:57 PM

if you look close at that vid its sped up when he moves ..im not putting the man down but whoever edited the vid didnt do him any favours got nothing against the man hes done his training and puts himself about a bit good luck to him

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 10:24 AM

Wing Chun is a very fast martial art, and he practiced it a lot, and i don't believe he was on steroids, look at his body, very low body fat, but a very good muscle to weight ratio. I'm 14 in like two days, and am muscly and well cut for my age, but he weighed slightly less than me. I'm also about the same height as he was - Around 5"7. And he was much stronger than i am now, and his muscles are bigger than mine, and i'm not fat, this just shows that he really did get his body fat right down. If you see him in Enter the Dragon in the first fight scene, then he looks very skinny (and muscly). I believe that he wasn't very well at this time though, and wasn't eating like he should have.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 10:28 AM

OMG read the fackin thread, kid!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 10:30 AM

Quote:

OMG read the fackin thread, kid!

I was just thinking that!!

Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 11:04 AM

*nevermind what I was going to add*

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 11:05 AM

haha, looks like we got another one...

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 02:33 PM

what did i do wrong? i just replied my opinion of the thread name, I didn't meen to spam or anything, if the thread isn't about the thread name, then it should be deleted.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 02:38 PM

Or maybe you should read it to find out what is about. You clearly haven't read it yet. Don't respond again until you do, and you'll understand.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 02:44 PM

I know it's about Tommy Caruthers video, but i don't understand about the steroids part.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 03:25 PM

this thread has nothing to do with Tommy Caruthers being on steroids....

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 04:20 PM

I know, so why is it in the title?

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 04:32 PM

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/28/08 09:38 PM

its an expression man...he just means that tommy carruthers is really fast

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/29/08 05:29 AM

i thought it meant that, but i didn't see how steroids was linked to fast hands, that's all.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/08 02:43 AM

Is this Spongebob's pink buddy?

Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 05/31/08 03:50 PM

Quote:

i thought it meant that, but i didn't see how steroids was linked to fast hands, that's all.

it's called an "expression" lol, c'mon man!
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/01/08 08:24 AM

lmfao

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/02/08 01:16 AM

Quote:

Is this Spongebob's pink buddy?

Nope. Its spongebobs pink buddy - ON STEROIDS!!

Posted by: TheCrab

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/02/08 02:01 AM

I should make a thread called "bruce lee takes steroids"
and see how many people come in and explain to me how he ran 50 miles up cliffs all day and kicked 900ib bags around like rags and other stuff.

but that would be mean

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/02/08 03:23 AM

look about 15 threads down and you will fing that very thread. It is locked.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/02/08 09:00 AM

its a shame the thread is closed as it stops anyone making a reasonable comment on the subject wich we should feel free to do.

i know a lot of people feel uneasy talking about things like this true or not me inlcuded .

of all the famous people who have died in the past, nobody has had the misfortune of having so much myth n crap said about them .just feel its up to those who know a bit of logic can teach ignorant people fact from fiction

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/02/08 11:48 AM

Quote:

Nope. Its spongebobs pink buddy - ON STEROIDS!!

HAHA *applause* good one

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/03/08 02:36 PM

I'm sorry, i didn't realize, there's so many nobs on the internet who do make up threads like Bruce Lee on steroids, that's all, god, you guys are pretty aggressive when a guy makes a mistake. Loosen up a bit.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/03/08 02:43 PM

Maybe we would "loosen up" if we didn't have people commenting on threads that they haven't even bothered to read.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/04/08 03:44 PM

I did read it, i got it mixed up with the Bruce Lee Steroids forum.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/04/08 05:10 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, i didn't realize, there's so many nobs on the internet who do make up threads like Bruce Lee on steroids, that's all, god, you guys are pretty aggressive when a guy makes a mistake. Loosen up a bit.

Yeah, stupid noobs! You know they even use BruceLee in their user names,lol. Stupid noobs.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/05/08 11:15 AM

Everyone makes mistakes, atleast i owned up to it. And i am a big fan of Bruce lee, but im not your typcial fanboy, im not even a fanboy, i just respect bruce lee a lot, and study JKD. there's nothing wrong with that, now if ya don't have anything better to do then slag me off, can we please get on topic.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/06/08 01:11 PM

well said bruce dont let anyone push you around

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/06/08 04:13 PM

lol, seriously though, i just want to make up with everybody, i don't want you guys to think differently of me just for those few posts.

Re: JKD on Steroids. . . Fast hands! - 06/06/08 04:33 PM

dont worry about it everyone just pulling you leg