jeet kune do in chicago?

Posted by: konik

jeet kune do in chicago? - 05/21/06 08:56 PM

does anyone on this forum know of anyone/anywhere apart from the degerberg academy, i wasnt particularly impressed with that place and they dont 'really' teach JFJKD even though they claim to.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 05/22/06 01:32 AM

lol if you find out can you pm me? I am going to chicago 2 weeks for a soccer tournament and would love to check out a MA school while im there :P.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 05/22/06 01:37 PM

I've been searching high and low for one around here for almost the last year, preferably one that includes some kali silat and ground fighting. There used to be a ton of 'em, I guess, but they mainly trained "old school" and couldn't stay open in today's homogenized business. I keep asking people at my school where they are, but no one seems to know exactly. There SHOULD be SOMEWHERE.
I'll pm you if I find anything else. Let me know likewise.
And yeah, dregerberg
Posted by: TrueStory

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 05/22/06 06:12 PM

http://www.geocities.com/jkdresources/instructors.html?200621?200622#inosanto

That link lists all the Dan Inosanto related Jeet Kun Do instructors there are a few in Chicago namley :

USA IL Chicago Eugene Amante

USA Il Chicago Dennis Duria

USA IL Chicago Robert Eggebrecht

If they're Inosanto related/trained I would assume they use some form of kali/silat in their training. Infact it lists some others and their phone numbers and the rank of instructor they are etc.

Err...I'm not sure about the policy on posting their names but if I shouldn't I will take it out. The site also has their school phone numbers.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 05/22/06 09:05 PM

Huh! Eugene Amante was my Kali instructor at my school here in chicago. I loved learning from him, but he left due to complications in his schedule. He is a great teacher. Anyway, small world.
Posted by: by88

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 02/20/09 05:09 PM

I realize this thread is a few years old, but for anyone still looking for Jeet Kune Do instruction in Chicago, check out:

http://www.jeetkunedochicago.com

I've been training with Sifu Coker for a few years and he's a great instructor. He is certified under Jerry Poteet, one of Bruce Lee's original students. Small classes, individual instruction, definitely not a big martial arts school pretending to teach JKD. We do some ground work as well.
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: jeet kune do in chicago? - 03/24/09 01:11 AM

Depending on how close to the suburbs you don't mind going, I do know of one JKD instructor who incorporates Kali/BJJ into their stuff.

Kind of "Old School" like Shikata mentioned though, so PM me if interested.