bruce lee steroids?!

Posted by: peter586

bruce lee steroids?! - 05/20/06 05:44 AM

does anyone know if bruce lee took steroids?! i read on tommy carruthers site in a forum he said that bruce took steroids! does anyone know if its true
Posted by: JKogas

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/20/06 10:33 AM

Wouldn't he have been bigger if he HAD taken steroids? Back in those days, they were the RAGE for body builders. The only steroids that were popular THEN were the one's that increased mass. Lee really didn't have a lot of mass.

-John
Posted by: Supremor

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/20/06 10:49 AM

I would say it is extremely unlikely that Lee would have taken anabolic steroids. On the other hand, I have no doubt that he was taking a variety of other supplements, knowing his interest in nutrition. What they are, I have no idea.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/20/06 10:12 PM

Im my years of working out I have seen many many many steroid users and not a single one looked like Bruce Lee. Thats not saying he definitely didnt take them but its very unlikely given his body morphology.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/21/06 01:17 AM

I heard he ate little babies for protein.
Posted by: Cord

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/21/06 04:46 AM

i think it unlikely that he took steroids, but there are plenty of athletes reaping the benefit of increased base strength and faster recovery time that many anabolic steroids give without increased mass.
They are abused in everything from Bodybuilding to Badminton at international level.
it takes a long time for steroids, especially those available 30-40 years ago, to be fully flushed from the body. Athletes go to great trouble to ensure they have 'clearance time' prior to competition, this way the blood looks 'clean' if tested.
Recreational users do not have such worries, and often do not cycle steroid use in such a way that they leave the system completely, leaving trace deposits in some major organs, including the liver.
there was no trace of such substances found in Bruce Lee's post mortem, and seeing as how he had no reason to mask the presence of steroids in his system, it is unlikely that they would not presesnt themselves by some quirk of fate.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/21/06 11:52 AM

Who knows...he was against weed too but they found cannabis leaf in his body at his autopsy
Posted by: konik

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/21/06 08:50 PM

lol, he smoked/ate more weed than any steriod nonsense.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/28/06 12:11 PM

Quote:

Who knows...he was against weed too but they found cannabis leaf in his body at his autopsy

MAybe somebody druged him up, from what I heard though, he died from swelling of the brain from an allergic reaction to a pill he took to get rid of a migrane, and I seriosly doupt he took steroids
Posted by: Ayub

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/28/06 02:39 PM

The latest word was that he died from an extremely rear form of epilepsy.

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 05/28/06 05:43 PM

Quote:

Took the liberty of moving my old thread on this topic from the Health&Nutrition forum to here seeing as how it may be of interest.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/12/06 01:29 PM

Not defending Bruce Lee, but so did my Instructors they all drunk werid alcohol drinks (with dead snake in it), MJ and some mind control drugs, to experience the out of body mediatation experince. Said I'll never be a Master if I didn't, we I never did. Masters can be weird folks when you get close to them. But anything you don't understand seems weird. These guys were dedicated students of the MAs following in their Masters foot steps.

Bruce may have taken steroids back then it was used to repair and build muscles, he did have a back injury and it disapear almost. Joe Lewis suppositly helps him with body building techniques and he showed great improvement. But I don't think he took the type steroid that the Super body builder and football player took thats would harm he body and mind.

Just my 2 cent. Joe Lewis is smaller now at 60 something but he still looks good and has good aerobics. He doesn't show the signs of S-usage like Mark Gast.., Hulk Hogan and others.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/13/06 12:32 AM

Quote:

Well, that sounds like a pain in the @ss!
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/13/06 11:25 AM

Quote:

Bruce may have taken steroids back then it was used to repair and build muscles, he did have a back injury and it disapear almost. Joe Lewis suppositly helps him with body building techniques and he showed great improvement. But I don't think he took the type steroid that the Super body builder and football player took thats would harm he body and mind.

Yes, I can agree with that. That sounds more likely.
Posted by: tyas

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/20/06 03:46 PM

correct me if im wrong but dont male steroid users develep big breasts or some thing ??? bruce lee didnt have that....and didnt his friends say he tried to keep away from stuff like that?

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/20/06 07:15 PM

If everyone got breasts at the point of using steroids, who would use them? I wouldnt expect them to say ''Yea Lee, see those big muscles, great stamina and recovery... STEROIDS.''

Its difficult to take someones word so easily. We have no way of telling if he took steroids whatsoever. My opinion is that he seemed to control what was going into his body and trained very hard so probably didnt take steroids. Nobody has any way of telling though.

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/20/06 11:30 PM

Gynocomastea ('b!tch tits' to the bodybuilders out there), happen when the increased testosterone production caused by anabolic steroid misuse cause an knee jerk reaction in the male body of increased eostrogen production.

Like I said, if Steroids were something he used, it would have shown up in his post mortem tox screen, as the marijuana did.

Physique wise, Lee was nothing special (calm down in the back), he was lean, but in no way was his development unattainable without steroids, hell, Iggy Pop and Anthony Kiedis look about the same in their 40's and 50's as Lee did in his 20's.
As for performance, much of the testimony of his reactions and power is anecdotal from biased sources, and from the blur between film and reality that hounds his legacy.
From the footage of him training that I have seen, nothing would indicate abilities over and above those attainable through regular unenhanced dedicated training.

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/21/06 05:25 AM

Quote:

From the footage of him training that I have seen, nothing would indicate abilities over and above those attainable through regular unenhanced dedicated training.

But just think what he'd be like if he did take steroids!!

(BTW Cord, Are Gynocomastea (or gimes as me and friends like to refer to them) achieved by a bad diet the same as those developed by too much oestrogen? Or are Gynocomastea are different kind of tissue?

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/21/06 10:20 AM

No, it is different. Poor diet leads to increased bodyfat, and both males and females have the tendency to store bodyfat on the chest, hence a heavy guy with a love of fast food and a beer or twelve tends to have an impressive set of 'man boobs', but its not gyney, its just lard
Posted by: adaca

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/21/06 08:47 PM

I doubt very much if Bruce Lee was using steroids unless for medical reasons. His physique didn’t show the effects of steroids. Bruce Lee was one of the reasons that many martial artist started training. He was good but there are a lot of good guys about. The difference is the films made him well known.

Posted by: NeverEnough

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/23/06 01:46 AM

it's like Neko said. Bruce did have a severe back injury that almost costed him everything. the first thing the doctors do to help you get over an injury like that is for one give you pain killers and almost all of them give you some type of legal steroids to help you body repair itself to the point where you can start physical therapy. That is the ONLY way Bruce would have taken steroids. I myself tore 6 ligaments and 2 rotator cuff muscles in my shoulder and had to undergo surgery and was given perscribed steroids for 3 weeks before I started physical therapy. They're only used to help get you on your feet again until you are able to build your body up again on your own. And as stated above..bruce doesn't have near the body mass as someone who was taking steroids on a daily basis would..besides, someone in martial couldn't stand to have a big bulky body because you'll sacrifice speed and efficieny later on after you get so big. Bruce would never take steroids, someone that dedicated to his beliefs and believes in earning everything that you get wouldn't cheat by taking a drug to become better when steroids would only cripple you in the long run.

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/23/06 03:24 AM

Quote:

it's like Neko said. Bruce did have a severe back injury that almost costed him everything. the first thing the doctors do to help you get over an injury like that is for one give you pain killers and almost all of them give you some type of legal steroids to help you body repair itself to the point where you can start physical therapy.

no they dont. Anabolic Steroids are never prescribed for injury rehabilitation- not what they were designed for in the slightest.

Quote:

I myself tore 6 ligaments and 2 rotator cuff muscles in my shoulder and had to undergo surgery and was given perscribed steroids for 3 weeks before I started physical therapy.

They wouldnt have been anabolic steroids, its possible that you were given an anti inflamatory with steroids as an ingredient, but they would not have had the same effect as something like dianobol, even if you had tried to misuse them. Different steroids have different effects. A burger and a veggie burger are both 'burgers', but are completely different.

Quote:

besides, someone in martial couldn't stand to have a big bulky body because you'll sacrifice speed and efficieny later on after you get so big.

Yeah, that Phil Baroni, what a slouch eh? not to mention Mat Hughes, Arlovski and those 100 meter sprinters and NFL recievers/running backs, those physiques just hold em back dont they

Quote:

Bruce would never take steroids, someone that dedicated to his beliefs and believes in earning everything that you get wouldn't cheat by taking a drug to become better when steroids would only cripple you in the long run.

Its exactly that sort of dedication that leads to athletes putting their health at risk, and sacrificing everything in an attempt to extract every last bit of performance out of their physiology.

I will say again, Bruce is unlikely to have taken steroids because:

1. His death was unexpected, and so he would not have been expecting a tox screen, so would have had no reason to clear his system of steroids. They simply would have been mentioned in his post mortem. They were happy to tell the world he was a stoner, you think that the 'fittest man in the world' (as he was called) being a steroid cheat wouldnt have been a huge story? Come on.

2. Neither his physique, nor his RL performance in video footage would indicate anything above a good talented MA.

Its only since his death that he has become superhuman. Its his legend that is on steroids.
Posted by: Benjamin

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/23/06 06:38 AM

Glucocorticoid is one example of a steroid class use to treat inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
Posted by: NeverEnough

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/27/06 11:34 AM

all those NFL Receivers, quarterbacks, baseball players, Arlovski, Mat Hughs, all them them don't have hands half as fast as Bruce did. besides there's a big difference between the speed of running and the speed of kicking and punching. I've known people that can run a 4.2, 4.1 40yrd dash and can't even kick higher then their waist, and I didn't say what kind of steroid they gave me I just stated they gave me a type of steroid, I'm not a doctor I just take what they give me, if I knew what to take then I wouldn't need the doctors. And I know that extreme determination causes athletes to take performance enhancing drugs you are entirely correct on that, but you have to admit that someone with a mind and heart like Bruce would not take steroids, he always believed in earning what you receive and using drugs is not earning anything. I'd rather earn something than have it given to me, it means more to you in the long run.

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/27/06 12:10 PM

Quote:

all those NFL Receivers, quarterbacks, baseball players, Arlovski, Mat Hughs, all them them don't have hands half as fast as Bruce did.

Well, they never made movies with pre arranged choreography. They have real life speed and power. Unless you knew Bruce in person, you are believing anecdotal stories of Bruce lee as fact. He was neither the fastest nor fittest man alive, but he was great on many levels, the least important of which was his physical prowess.

Quote:

besides there's a big difference between the speed of running and the speed of kicking and punching. I've known people that can run a 4.2, 4.1 40yrd dash and can't even kick higher then their waist

So not kicking higher than the waist means they are slow?

Biomechanicaly, leg and hand speed are interdependant. Try walking fast whilst swinging your arms slowly- impossible. To run fast, you need fast powerfull arms. You think sprinters have torso's like that just for the beach?

Quote:

and I didn't say what kind of steroid they gave me I just stated they gave me a type of steroid, I'm not a doctor I just take what they give me, if I knew what to take then I wouldn't need the doctors.

So you admit you are talking about stuff you have no direct knowledge of. Is that a good thing to do?

Quote:

And I know that extreme determination causes athletes to take performance enhancing drugs you are entirely correct on that, but you have to admit that someone with a mind and heart like Bruce would not take steroids, he always believed in earning what you receive and using drugs is not earning anything. I'd rather earn something than have it given to me, it means more to you in the long run.

Again, you did not know Bruce Lee, and can not have a clue as to his views on this subject. You are defending a fictional image of a man as you want him to have been.
Steroids do not represent an 'easy option'. They allow people who have reached the peak of their genetic abilities to push beyond them, by working harder and recovering quicker. Bad for the health? absolutely. But not a lazy option. Takes more than a syringe full of winstrol to make a champion in any sport/persuit.
Bruce was a great believer in attaining an edge, and was fiercly motivated to succeed. I think him not taking steroids would be more down to not believing they would give a predictable edge in combat, having no effect on reflexes, timing,coordination, or ability to absorb a strike.

the greatest hero's in the world are made even greater by their weaknesses. If Bruce was a superhuman with perfect character, then what he achieved ceases to be great, and becomes less than what he should have.
Give him the credit that he deserves as a normal human being, dont give him a rep he never lived up to
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 06/27/06 04:54 PM

I think half the problem here is that almost all the posters (with the exception of Cord) don't know the first thing about performance enhancing drugs. I have, and continue to, studied them very, very carefully from literature published by both sides of the debate (the rabid anti-steroid campaigners and the rabid pro-steroid campaigners) and read the medical reports. I'm actually doing a 6000 word report for my A levels next year. There's some basic myths being thrown out here:

Steroids make you big. CALORIES make you big, food is the most 'anabolic' thing you can use. If you want to use steroids and not get 'big' that's perfectly possible, just don't eat like a family of four, and drop the volume a bit (go 5x5).

People who use steroids are lazy. These guys train damn hard - harder than you (yes, you!). Those American Footballers aren't just popping D-bol and ramming syringes of Test up their a$$es, they train intelligently, and above all, *very* hard.

Steroids will turn you into a mutant freak from Mars. Breasts, shrunken balls, hair loss, heart attacks, the list of supposed side-effects from steroids goes on and on. Steroids can cause side-effects. They almost certainly will. The only *definite* thing that prolonged steroid use *will* do is make you impotent. It could be temporary or permanent, there's not that much evidence beyond the anecdotal for this, and it depends on the individual. Breasts (caused by increase in Eostrogen production) shouldn't happen if you do things properly and use Eostrogen suppressents. Shrunken balls? You can use pills to stop that too. Increased rate of heart attacks? Probably just hokey, I've never seen or heard of a medical study to back this claim up. Hair loss, maybe, some do, some don't. Now, if you're reading that and thinking "waiddaminnit, Tim's advocating steroid use" then stop right there. Steroids are dangerous. There *are* side-effects, but they vary according to who you are and what you use. Believe it or not, there's a world of difference between the different steroids. That's not to mention HGH and other 'interesting' hormones. By the way, HGH causes Gastric distention (big fat stomach). Not too good if you want to impress the ladies

I'm young and healthy, steroids are for me! It couldn't be further from the truth. Steroids WILL stunt your growth. It's proven. Under 21's have NO business taking them. The great shame is that information on steroids, particularly aimed at young people, is so pi$$ poor. They trot out the same old rubbish, and then someone's mate starts taking them, his balls haven't shrivelled into marbles and he's got real hench - "hey, they must be safe" - and hey presto! The ridiculous level of steroid abuse in young people in America, dangerous and stupid. And preventable, if there was some half-decent drugs education.

Roid Rage! Steroids won't turn you into a carbon copy of the Hulk, but less green. They may make you easier to anger, and more sullen. The problem is that many of the people who take steroids were borderline psychotic/easily angered to begin with, and on steroids they've got something to prove.

More is better. It's. Just. Not. If you had a headache and I told you to take 40 aspirin, because it would be more effective, would you believe me?

With that rant off my chest, I'll conclude by saying that you have no business taking steroids unless you 1) are a competitive (ie. Olympic/NFL/NBA level) athlete, 2) have reached your genetic limit of potential (and you, yes you my friend, have not got near), 3) don't want kids, 4)are prepared to go to prison for a very long time, coz guess what, steroids are class A drugs, they're illegal.

Anyway, Bruce Lee and steroids. Cord is right as ever, there is absolutely no evidence that he did. I'm sorry, but there are amateur bodybuilders out there with a far better physique than Bruce Lee. There's no doubt that the man incorporated bodybuilding techniques into his training, in order to look good in the movies, maintained a very low bodyfat percentage, and got 'pumped' before shooting a scene. He was a good trainer evidently, but part of the reason he looks so ripped is simply because of his low bodyfat - look at Brad Pitt in Troy or Fight Club, looks more muscular than he really is because of low bodyfat. I really wish we could just put the whole Bruce Lee steroids debate to rest, because there's just no evidence for it.

Oh yeah, and if he had done steroids (intelligently) then he would have been stronger, faster and tougher. Fact.
Posted by: LifesFist

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 01/06/08 01:26 PM

Well, I hear time after time from others that Lee took some of steroids. "Just look what he had done with himself, all these muscles, board breaking, push-ups with one finger, etc." My first reaction to this - B.S.!!! At least this video can proof that he was able to do one finger push-ups then he was in his early twenties :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-PDrjMBck&NR=1

Lot's of Wingchun practitioners likes to say such thing... I don't know if it is true, but I wached video with W.Cheung, the grand master of Wingchun, he said that Lee in his early thirties took some of steroids. But I don't tend to believe this

I need truth, not arguments which springs from some kind of emotions...

Inform me please if You will find something new about this. Thank You

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 01/06/08 04:50 PM

Quote:

Well, I hear time after time from others that Lee took some of steroids. "Just look what he had done with himself, all these muscles, board breaking, push-ups with one finger, etc." My first reaction to this - B.S.!!! At least this video can proof that he was able to do one finger push-ups then he was in his early twenties :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-PDrjMBck&NR=1

Lot's of Wingchun practitioners likes to say such thing... I don't know if it is true, but I wached video with W.Cheung, the grand master of Wingchun, he said that Lee in his early thirties took some of steroids. But I don't tend to believe this

I need truth, not arguments which springs from some kind of emotions...

Inform me please if You will find something new about this. Thank You

So, steroids make you able to do 1 finger push ups do they? Strange, I have been surrounded by juiced up people for more than half my life, and yet the only person I knew who could do these was a friend in school who was a good gymnast- I am pretty sure that, seeing as how we were 12 and he used to do it to impress girls in the schoolground that he was free of anabolic enhancers

i will say this one more time, nice and slow, just to be clear:
If. Lee. had. been. on. steroids. they. would. have. been. found. in. the. toxicology. report. in. his. autopsy.
They. found. traces. of. marijuana. in. that. report. BUT. NO. SIGN. OF. STEROID. USE.

Thats it.
Posted by: Mastah

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 02/10/08 01:50 AM

Quote:

I think half the problem here is that almost all the posters (with the exception of Cord) don't know the first thing about performance enhancing drugs. I have, and continue to, studied them very, very carefully from literature published by both sides of the debate (the rabid anti-steroid campaigners and the rabid pro-steroid campaigners) and read the medical reports. I'm actually doing a 6000 word report for my A levels next year. There's some basic myths being thrown out here:

Steroids make you big. CALORIES make you big, food is the most 'anabolic' thing you can use. If you want to use steroids and not get 'big' that's perfectly possible, just don't eat like a family of four, and drop the volume a bit (go 5x5).

People who use steroids are lazy. These guys train damn hard - harder than you (yes, you!). Those American Footballers aren't just popping D-bol and ramming syringes of Test up their a$$es, they train intelligently, and above all, *very* hard.

Steroids will turn you into a mutant freak from Mars. Breasts, shrunken balls, hair loss, heart attacks, the list of supposed side-effects from steroids goes on and on. Steroids can cause side-effects. They almost certainly will. The only *definite* thing that prolonged steroid use *will* do is make you impotent. It could be temporary or permanent, there's not that much evidence beyond the anecdotal for this, and it depends on the individual. Breasts (caused by increase in Eostrogen production) shouldn't happen if you do things properly and use Eostrogen suppressents. Shrunken balls? You can use pills to stop that too. Increased rate of heart attacks? Probably just hokey, I've never seen or heard of a medical study to back this claim up. Hair loss, maybe, some do, some don't. Now, if you're reading that and thinking "waiddaminnit, Tim's advocating steroid use" then stop right there. Steroids are dangerous. There *are* side-effects, but they vary according to who you are and what you use. Believe it or not, there's a world of difference between the different steroids. That's not to mention HGH and other 'interesting' hormones. By the way, HGH causes Gastric distention (big fat stomach). Not too good if you want to impress the ladies

I'm young and healthy, steroids are for me! It couldn't be further from the truth. Steroids WILL stunt your growth. It's proven. Under 21's have NO business taking them. The great shame is that information on steroids, particularly aimed at young people, is so pi$$ poor. They trot out the same old rubbish, and then someone's mate starts taking them, his balls haven't shrivelled into marbles and he's got real hench - "hey, they must be safe" - and hey presto! The ridiculous level of steroid abuse in young people in America, dangerous and stupid. And preventable, if there was some half-decent drugs education.

Roid Rage! Steroids won't turn you into a carbon copy of the Hulk, but less green. They may make you easier to anger, and more sullen. The problem is that many of the people who take steroids were borderline psychotic/easily angered to begin with, and on steroids they've got something to prove.

More is better. It's. Just. Not. If you had a headache and I told you to take 40 aspirin, because it would be more effective, would you believe me?

With that rant off my chest, I'll conclude by saying that you have no business taking steroids unless you 1) are a competitive (ie. Olympic/NFL/NBA level) athlete, 2) have reached your genetic limit of potential (and you, yes you my friend, have not got near), 3) don't want kids, 4)are prepared to go to prison for a very long time, coz guess what, steroids are class A drugs, they're illegal.

Anyway, Bruce Lee and steroids. Cord is right as ever, there is absolutely no evidence that he did. I'm sorry, but there are amateur bodybuilders out there with a far better physique than Bruce Lee. There's no doubt that the man incorporated bodybuilding techniques into his training, in order to look good in the movies, maintained a very low bodyfat percentage, and got 'pumped' before shooting a scene. He was a good trainer evidently, but part of the reason he looks so ripped is simply because of his low bodyfat - look at Brad Pitt in Troy or Fight Club, looks more muscular than he really is because of low bodyfat. I really wish we could just put the whole Bruce Lee steroids debate to rest, because there's just no evidence for it.

Oh yeah, and if he had done steroids (intelligently) then he would have been stronger, faster and tougher. Fact.

Only thing i disagree with, is if you take steroids and are
competing in sports, your a cheater and deserve to be disqualified.
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 02/29/08 04:35 PM

Quote:

does anyone know if bruce lee took steroids?! i read on tommy carruthers site in a forum he said that bruce took steroids! does anyone know if its true

Bruce Lee INVENTED steroids. Seriously.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 02/29/08 04:42 PM

Quote:

Man, don't do that! Do you know how many kids are gonna read that? At least put a smiley if you're going to BS.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 02/29/08 05:51 PM

This is just something that has really been bothering me in recent years outside this forum and in recent weeks on it:

Why is everyone so obsessed over who did or didn't do steriods? It's like everyone is just searching the world and finding anyone who does something physically incredible and they instantly have to start the "do you think he's on steroids too?" bit.

1. Who cares. It's not your business what other people do or don't do, especially when it has no direct affect on you.

2. The life choises that professional athletes or just the average Joe even make regarding their health is their choice, not yours. How about more introspection on how can I be better instead of imposing your rumors/morals/philosophy/ or just plain on others?

3. You could have a little respect for the dead and not start throwing around unsubstantiated (sp? sorry) claims about them.

These kinds of things are nothing more than gossip and jealousy the likes of which I haven't seen and we as martial artists should be above it.

end rant. Just something that's been bugging me for a while.

JMHO
Posted by: trevek

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 02/29/08 06:43 PM

Well said, Corwin.

I think it's a pointless argument. In the lte 60's - early 70's people weren't as aware or as touchy about steroids as they are today.

Even if he did take them, he wasn't competing so it wasn't anyone else's business.
Posted by: jude33

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 03/01/08 05:46 AM

Quote:

I dont know if he took steroids. I believe that he didnt take steroids.
The reason why I believe this?
From what I have seen of him he doesnt show any physical signs that I could compare to steriod users I have known.

The other reason? At the time there were other practicing martial artists who had very simular physiques and physical attributes to Bruce Lee who, to me, dont show the signs when viewed.

I believe if he hadnt done what he did martial arts wouldnt be as well known in the Western World as it is now.

Considering Tommy Carruthers stated he was then might I suggest e-mailing him and if you have a mind to questioning him? I do agree it is totaly unfair to state what he did as Bruce Lee isnt around to defend himself.

Just a small point. I think people do have the choice of doing what they want. So long as what they are doing doesnt affect others directly or in-directly, knowingly or un-knowingly, in what might be termed a bad way.

If they are then they are more than likely going to be judged by anybody who cares to judge them.

Jude

Might be worth while asking Tommy Carruthers?
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 03/01/08 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Man, don't do that! Do you know how many kids are gonna read that? At least put a smiley if you're going to BS.

I didn't even consider that. But I'm not horribly concerned either.

Bruce Lee experimented with several illegal substances. It's the truth.

If I make a joke that he INVENTED steroids, and some minds read it that aren't mature to understand sarcasm - what can I do?

Personally, I believe the biggest thing making steroids unsafe is that they are ILLEGAL. When you make a substance or activity illegal on the grounds that it is unsafe, it only becomes more unsafe.

In the case of steroids - being illegal makes the sources untrustworthy and prohibits doctors from advising and guiding steroid users.

THAT is what makes steroids so dangerous in the first place.
Posted by: jude33

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 03/02/08 07:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bruce Lee experimented with several illegal substances. It's the truth.

Realy? What were they and where is the proof? I dont think he did. Pure speculation.
Quote:

If I make a joke that he INVENTED steroids, and some minds read it that aren't mature to understand sarcasm - what can I do?

Not make the statement or make it clear it is/ was sarcasm.
Maybe also consider who reads this website and perhaps the age group?

Quote:

Personally, I believe the biggest thing making steroids unsafe is that they are ILLEGAL. When you make a substance or activity illegal on the grounds that it is unsafe, it only becomes more unsafe.

In the case of steroids - being illegal makes the sources untrustworthy and prohibits doctors from advising and guiding steroid users.

Interesting. Far be it for me to get in to a debate about steriods again there is somethings certain people might miss.

A high percentage of martial artists train for the benefits of health. Or perhaps others might be looking to still be able to train when they are say 79 years old etc. The requirement of a doctor should be to cure or benefit peoples lives. Not to advise people who choose to by pass their own endocrine system.

Jude
Posted by: Vinman

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 04/04/08 11:57 PM

I just finished reading "Unsettled Matters", by Tom Bleeker (Linda Lee's ex-husband after Bruce), and there are many indications that Bruce may have used steroids (not necessarily ones that will bulk you up, rather, ones that will get you super cut...which is what many body-buliders and others used back then...notice the size differences from then until now)

More importantly, I 100% fully believe that Bruce was poisoned...no way in holy hell that Bruce had a drug reaction like that from a perscription pain killer (not to mention the fact that he had a similar episode less than 2 months before that, but was revived)

Read the book and the timeline of just how long it took to get Bruce to the hospital, after he hadnt been breathing or had a pulse for almost two hours, and any Bruce Lee fan (like myself) should be more than fired up that he died because of incompetence

btw- I also believe that he was poisoned on 2 different occasions

Re: bruce lee steroids?! - 04/05/08 07:27 AM

Quote:

I just finished reading "Unsettled Matters", by Tom Bleeker (Linda Lee's ex-husband after Bruce), and there are many indications that Bruce may have used steroids (not necessarily ones that will bulk you up, rather, ones that will get you super cut...which is what many body-buliders and others used back then...notice the size differences from then until now)

More importantly, I 100% fully believe that Bruce was poisoned...no way in holy hell that Bruce had a drug reaction like that from a perscription pain killer (not to mention the fact that he had a similar episode less than 2 months before that, but was revived)

Read the book and the timeline of just how long it took to get Bruce to the hospital, after he hadnt been breathing or had a pulse for almost two hours, and any Bruce Lee fan (like myself) should be more than fired up that he died because of incompetence

btw- I also believe that he was poisoned on 2 different occasions

There were no poisons found in the tox report of his autopsy.

There were no steroids found in his tox report.

his symptoms have since been identified as exactly those of a rare form of sudden onset Epilepsy.

Ex-Husbands who can't compete with a globally idolised memory seldom write a book without an agenda.

This thread keeps waking up like a retarded bear in the depths of winter. Time to put it to sleep.