Can Someone Tell Me?

Posted by: theoldone

Can Someone Tell Me? - 05/07/06 04:23 PM

This might be a dead horse on this forum. I don't know. If it is, sorry. If not, can someone tell me what is JKD?

Oh yes, I've read the books. I know what they say. In fact, the technical/tactical part of the first of a series of five 2-year competition training programs I put together back in '92 were based on my (limited) understanding of JKD's five angles of attack, adapted for specific requirements of the game, naturally. It was very successful.

But these days, there are people talking about "this JKD" and "that JKD". There's the Jun Fan JKD group, there's the JKD Concepts group, and a couple of others I can't recall.

So, if you're currently a practitioner, would you mind telling me, in your own words, what you see is JKD? No, not the "party line". You know, don't say JKD is such and such because your group says it's such and such. Just give me your personal take.

And if you're not a JKD practitioner, well, let's have tea sometime
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Can Someone Tell Me? - 05/07/06 05:13 PM

Honestly oldone, it sounds like you DO understand everything one can about JKD. I personally don't like the idea of structured schools teaching structured JKD. JKD was just a name that was given to Bruce Lee's mixed martial arts repartoire because people have this strange compulsion to label everything. It is more convenient I guess. I don't think anyone can study JKD as a set art. You either are JKD or you are not.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Can Someone Tell Me? - 05/07/06 07:39 PM

Lets go HERE for this discussion:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15850524/an/0/page/0#15850524

-John