new to jkd

Posted by: hagler7

new to jkd - 04/06/06 01:26 PM

it is my 4th week and i love it even though i have previosly boxed and done 14ths doing muy thai i still find it hard to relax my arms when doing the sensitive drills has anyone any tips cheers
Posted by: JKogas

Re: new to jkd - 04/06/06 05:33 PM

What sort of drills are you doing? Chi sao, etc?

Are you working chest pummeling? If not, try and pick that up. Otherwise just keep at it.

Good luck and have fun!

-John
Posted by: PastTheWall

Re: new to jkd - 04/07/06 07:45 AM

Are they the Pak Sau Da and Lop Sau Da drills? I think with all sensitivity training you have to feel your way through them, if you are tense maybe you are anticipating your training partner's moves - which is also a giveaway for them when you are about to pak sau or lop sau. Just have to give it time and practice, try some exercises to loosen up your shoulders and remember to breathe

Re: new to jkd - 04/07/06 09:21 AM

yes they are both of those drills ,thanks for advice will try to breath normal, i have started practicing in front of mirror when i get up and before i go to bed are there ant books you can recommend thanks for advice...hagler

Re: new to jkd - 04/07/06 09:39 AM

are chi sao and pak sau similar what is chest pummeling ? i realy am enjoying this JKD who says life dont begin at 44 lol thanks for advice john........glyn
Posted by: PastTheWall

Re: new to jkd - 04/07/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

yes they are both of those drills ,thanks for advice will try to breath normal, i have started practicing in front of mirror when i get up and before i go to bed are there ant books you can recommend thanks for advice...hagler

It might prove helpful for you if you had a friend or fellow student to practice the sensitivity drills with, practising on your own will help you with getting the form correct, but it really helps to have another person with you so you can feel what sensitivity training is all about. Usually people are trained to be light in their movements, and only exert any pressure when they need to execute the pak sau or the lop sau, so the other person can't feel you tense up right before you do them and give your intentions away. I'm sure some Wing Chun students can shed more light on this, since that's where it comes from, if I'm not horribly mistaken.

Just have fun with it, take things at your own pace and don't be afraid to ask your instructors if you're not 100% sure about something, that's what they're there for

Re: new to jkd - 04/08/06 10:28 AM

i know the will be pit-falls ahead but i realy am enjoying this sport it is only my 5th week but all in all its good stuff
Posted by: RoninKurosawa

Re: new to jkd - 04/25/06 02:48 AM

My advice on relexing is simply let go of your emotions and your mind to some extent. Also if your scared that you will mess up its bad to your training and progress in jkd. Just let your instincts and reactions do that work, maybe in the beginning you might mess up alot but in the future if you stay relexed and be not concerned with the outcome then it will really pay off for you.
Like i said just relex and don't think about the outcome of the drill just go with it and eventually you'll get better and better with time.