Adopting principles

Posted by: Shyro

Adopting principles - 03/04/06 10:24 PM

I've been having some questions regarding jeet kune do for a while.

As far as I'm concerned, jeet kune do is a set of principles and concepts that shows the way for martial artists to reach their top by having no limitations.

Jeet Kune Do practioners adopt techniques from other martial arts and will later teach them to their students as
basics.

So, what about principles of behavior? Is there usually any concern in jeet kune do instructors to tell their students to have humility, cortesy, integrity, be perseverant, etc? Do instructors of jeet kune put special attention on these types of principles and explains them in class?

One can say these principles are things students know from just having contact with friends and don't need to be taught. But I am of the opinion that when one it taught how to fight he must be constantly reminded for his responsabilities.
Posted by: PastTheWall

Re: Adopting principles - 03/06/06 11:03 AM

I think, quite separately from what style you chose to train in, it is the teacher's responsibility to teach (and demonstrate) respect and humility to his or her students. Leading by example is a fair way to get the message across. It is equally in the student's best interest to take on those same messages of perseverance, respect and humility.

Surely mutual respect is one of the cornerstones of any student/teacher relationship, martial arts or not?