JKD Grip

Posted by: Chen Zen

JKD Grip - 02/18/06 06:21 PM

I was curious as to how many of you train your forearm/grip strength. If you ever saw a picture of Bruce Lee you know he had rather large forearms in proportion to the rest of his body. He was said to have used them almost like clubs to break the opponents defence. I dont wait train but I do a few excercises anyways. Do you think there are any real combat benefits from it?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: JKD Grip - 02/18/06 09:15 PM

The forearm definitely helps in crashing, chopping, pounding and penertrating techniques offensively and defensively. The filipino system stress developing the forearms and other weapons. Obviously wing chun training stress this develpement also.

I'll go out on a limb and say almost all striking arts MAs have developed forearms, in general. Not like little Bruce Lee's huge forearms but hard and tight. They definitely can be weapons.
Posted by: Goyathalay

Re: JKD Grip - 02/19/06 01:00 PM

"Why play sticky hands, when you can play sticky fists!"

- Ed Parker (helped introduce Jun Fan to the World)

Strong forearms help make a stronger more compact fist.
Also, forearms used against joints and pressure points become extremely effective tools.
Posted by: PastTheWall

Re: JKD Grip - 02/20/06 06:54 AM

My modest weight training routine builds my forearms, as does wrist-strengthening exercises to help rehabilitate some pain there. I'm also starting into some Kali and the warm up exercises are a great way to build muscle and tone. I count the added muscle as a bonus, helps pad the force of blows during sparring and adds extra power during hubud and trapping. I don't specifically train to build forearm power, it just kind of follows with certain exercises.
Posted by: simplicity

Re: JKD Grip - 02/20/06 10:00 AM

I thought we are talking about JKD GRIP, but all I've heard is about these other arts....Here's my take on this subject....The forearms are very important to train in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do....They can be a piston or a brake....It all depends on how you train them....There are many ways to do this too!....One of the best ways is a wrist roller...Thats just one way.....Good training to all.

Peace, Love and Soul
JFM
Posted by: Trejo539

Re: JKD Grip - 03/01/06 11:43 AM

what is the wrist roller? i read about it in his book but i dont quite understand it. can u give me a website where i can see pictures of the excersice being preformed?
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: JKD Grip - 06/14/06 02:12 PM

Quote:

what is the wrist roller? i read about it in his book but i dont quite understand it. can u give me a website where i can see pictures of the excersice being preformed?

Wrist roller: a regular dumbbell with weights stacked on only one side and a rubber grip on the other side used as a handle. The hand should grab the grip and the weighted side is turned over in a radial fashion using the wrist tendons and the radius and ulna muscle groups.