Who's the man?

Posted by: Chen Zen

Who's the man? - 12/25/05 06:23 PM

Theres been a lot of BL worship lately. And it occured to me that perhaps i could sway the attention off of him and on to other fighters of the world who deserve recognition. So my question is who ALIVE is the biggest influence over your martial practice and ideas. Who would you like to be able to fight as well as or be compared to?

For me its got to be Randy Couture. The man is amazing. At over 40 years old he's manhandling 20 somethings like they were amatuers. He literally spanked Tito Ortiz in the middle of a fight that he controlled from beginning to end. He's consistent and he beats people at there own game. he outstrikes the strikers, out grapples the grapplers and has more stamina than anyone Ive ever seen. At over forty if you blurred out his face you would think you were looking at a twenty year old body builder. He is the one man in the world that I would give anything to fight because I feel like he is the best hand to hand fighter in the world right now. If you dont know you better ask someone or go pick up a dvd or two of him in UFC. Plus he has a great fight coming up as well. The third fight between him and Chuck Liddell.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Who's the man? - 12/25/05 08:03 PM

Gotta give it up for CroCop. Awesome striking skills. Anybody that can cream Mark Coleman (among others) decisively, rates pretty well in my eyes.

Couture is probably better all around fighter, though. I would love to see a CroCop/Couture match up.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Who's the man? - 12/25/05 09:52 PM

CroCop here as well. .

Bob Sapp, real entertainer.

Rony Sefo, I love watching him in K-1, he's really good, but sux at MMA. First match, he gets his ass whupped. .

But the one man that really makes me wanna learn MA. . .
Tony Jaa. .

-Taison out
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 05:02 PM

I love Mirko the Cro Cop as well but I wouldn't call him my biggest influcence. For me its Ross Enamait ex-pro boxer and now fitness guru. I have one of his books and I have become stronger and fast in that past few months because of his training. He runs rossboxing.com which is a great site. I don't know if he was a good boxer but his training is intense so I love it.
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 07:14 PM

I have a few, but the first that comes too mind is Wesley Snipes! hes gracefull and yet still keeps his power.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 07:22 PM

LOL @ Wesley Snipes, the MOVIE star.

I have to mention Couture (although everyone is now training clinch).

I have to mention also, GSP (Georges St. Pierre), Matt Hughes, Cro-Cop, Fedor, Arlovski, Eddie Bravo is definitely the man with his innovative guard play. There are so many now.

-John

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 07:28 PM

Whats wrong with Wesley??? Yeah sure he is in other movies that might make you think that hes not a real MAs but he is in JET mag for the movie, "Blade Trinty' it shows that he really is a martial artist and good one too.

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 09:33 PM

Mean_fighter -

JKogas is referring to the fact that Wesley does NOT have a competitive record to judge him on.

However, in MF's defense, this thread was not about who is the best MMA fighter. Chen asked who was the most significant influence on your MA training.

So, in that sense, Wesley is a perfectly acceptable answer.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Who's the man? - 12/26/05 11:53 PM

Matt, u da man, u da man....
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 06:17 AM

Chuck Norris,I know the mere mention of his name made you piddle your pants.

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 07:12 AM

Quote:

However, in MF's defense, this thread was not about who is the best MMA fighter. Chen asked who was the most significant influence on your MA training.

I didn't see it in that light before and you're right. Snipes would be a pretty major influence.

He may even have some game as well, you never know.

-John
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 07:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't see it in that light before and you're right. Snipes would be a pretty major influence.

He may even have some game as well, you never know.

-John

Joe Rogan is gonna kick his ass.

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 10:44 AM

oh yeah about that, when is this fight gonna happen
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 01:35 PM

Best fighter I can think of- Yao Ming the BBall player- you try fighting 7'6" of muscle- he doesn't even need ot learn a MA.

Most influential MAists- Hwang Jang lee and Julio Diaz. The best of both worlds.

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 01:44 PM

Quote:

Yao Ming the BBall player- you try fighting 7'6" of muscle- he doesn't even need ot learn a MA.

MA inspiration? What did he inspire you to do, grow taller?
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Who's the man? - 12/27/05 04:55 PM

Most notably:
Mike Stone
Benny Urquidez
Joe Lewis
Bill Wallce

and yes, Chuck Norris dagnabit.

Re: Who's the man? - 12/31/05 08:13 AM

Quote:

Best fighter I can think of- Yao Ming the BBall player- you try fighting 7'6" of muscle- he doesn't even need ot learn a MA.

I love tall guys. They're just ASKING for double and single legs.

-John
Posted by: sophia

Re: Who's the man? - 01/01/06 10:53 PM

Three most influential living ppl in MA that I can think of are Royce Gracie, Pat Miletich and (EWWW) Dana White. Royce for bringing BJJ and the ground game into the spot light. Everyone has had to adapt since then. I think Pat Miletich almost revolutionized MMA with his system's take on the ground and pound and incorperating techniques that really weren't taught in a comprehensive delivery package. Finally I would not have heared of either of those guys without Dana White's UFC.
Posted by: able

Re: Who's the man? - 01/01/06 11:33 PM

Benny the Jet, Rocks

Mike tyson although a boxer was pretty bad to the bone too
Posted by: formless

Re: Who's the man? - 02/15/06 09:47 AM

benny "the jet" urquidez
ken "crazy foot" lapka
Posted by: Little Dragon

Re: Who's the man? - 02/15/06 10:16 PM

I have three people that inspire me to train in martial arts. They are Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and Jean-Claude Van Damme.Ever since I saw his movie bloodsport I was so impressed that I enrolled in a Karate dojo, and I have been training in martial arts ever since.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Who's the man? - 02/17/06 01:40 AM

Quote:

JKogas is referring to the fact that Wesley does NOT have a competitive record to judge him on.

Yeah, that Bruce Lee, man, he won all his competitions
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Who's the man? - 02/17/06 09:07 PM

Trevek,

Funny response, but in all actuality Jkogas is one of the first people to tell you that Bruce DID NOT have a competitive fight record.
Posted by: Trejo539

Re: Who's the man? - 03/01/06 11:41 AM

i think tony jaa is all stunts..........i would want to fight someone from those fighting shows on pay per view. thats the closest thing to street fighting
Posted by: mouli

Re: Who's the man? - 03/02/06 08:06 PM

Bheema, Gama
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Who's the man? - 03/02/06 08:43 PM

Guro Dan Inosanto. Every person he's so much as brushed by has been influenced by him.

And I think Stefan Bonner is the coolest because A) his technique rocks B) he's a chicago boy and C) well, you saw UFC 50.

Re: Who's the man? - 03/03/06 02:04 PM

Quote:

Trevek,

Funny response, but in all actuality Jkogas is one of the first people to tell you that Bruce DID NOT have a competitive fight record.

Thanks Chen, you beat me to it.

-John
Posted by: Yuushi

Re: Who's the man? - 03/30/06 07:43 AM

The people I have been most inspired by that are still alive are Jet Li, Ken Shamrock, Hulk Hogan, and Arnold Shwarzenegger.

But the man I really look up to is Dolph Lundgren.
Posted by: RoninKurosawa

Re: Who's the man? - 04/25/06 03:22 AM

Hmmmm, well most the people that inspire me in martial arts are dead.

Okay some of the people i'll name won't really have real fight records but they were a inspiration non the less.

Ali at least i'm pretty sure ali is still alive.

I saw this fighter one time he seemed like he beat this guy with ease but i can't remember his name, it might have been something like kong li but i'm not sure.

Jet li of course, he may or may not be good at real fighting but his moves are sure inspiring.

I can't deny the man with the plan named jackie chan.

And theres that one mma dude like i think his name is chuck ladell maybe but i don't watch mma alot so i don't know all their names.

I guess that will do for my list of alive fighters.

Peace unto ye all. ^^
Posted by: Ayub

Re: Who's the man? - 04/26/06 07:49 AM

In terms of a JKD instructor...... Tommy Carruthers

Check out his site, maybe he tries to emulate Bruce Lee a little too much, but by golly he is fast!

http://www.tommycarruthers.com/index.php

What others have said:

"When Tommy is on he reminds me of Bruce when I knew him. The first time that I saw him I told him that he punches like Bruce. Tommy is also a very powerful kicker. He has Bruce like speed and power and is more flexible than Bruce was.

If Tommy landed a full force strike in the center of a person's chest there is a chance that their heart would stop. He transfers an amazing amount of shock with his strikes. He has taken Bruce's ideas and turned them into a functional reality." - Jesse Glover (Bruce Lee's first student)

"Tommy is a great JKD'er. But most important his students were also very good. This is important, because not all great martial artists can teach. Tommy can." - Tim Tackett , (JKD instructor of the Wednesday Night Group of Redlands, California)
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Who's the man? - 04/26/06 03:31 PM

Alive - Dekker, Urquidez, Norris They all have very crisp, clean, smooth technique. Norris even trains his ground game, and as talented a MAist he is, you know hes good at it.

Re: Who's the man? - 04/26/06 05:36 PM

I forgot to mention a few people;

Matt Thornton
Jean Jaques Machado
Marcelo Garcia

Unreal these people are.

-John
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Who's the man? - 05/20/06 02:30 AM

i would have to say primarily Donnie Yen...He comes from mainly wushu background but he himself is a JKD believer and doesnt have a form or anything, its simply just Donnie.

Jet Li too...he has incredible speed, technique and form. And in his movies hes oh so cool, especially with stopping kicks from coming his way.
and Tony Jaa, though he does alot of gymnastics, he presents a very Muay Boran looking art and shows wut the hell Thai ppl can do

haha Tommy Carruthers....hes amazingly like Bruce
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Who's the man? - 05/26/06 08:02 PM

Ali. Yeah, he didn't kick or grapple, but he motivated me to become a fighter instead of a brawler.
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: Who's the man? - 06/13/06 11:52 AM

Call me jaded, but I try not to place the self-worth of a person on physical skills. What if you're a practicing martial artist and somehow you end up losing your legs after having a car crash or being shot? Will the loss of your skills be crushing and debilitating to your entire psyche? Friends, there are many other things in life that should be savored fully. This thing we do for a past-time, a living, or even a "lifestyle" is wonderful, but it only has so much meaning. In the end we are all only imperfect mortal human beings.

Re: Who's the man? - 06/14/06 11:47 AM

Quote:

This thing we do for a past-time, a living, or even a "lifestyle" is wonderful, but it only has so much meaning. In the end we are all only imperfect mortal human beings.

Point taken.
Posted by: chukspinna

Re: Who's the man? - 08/17/06 08:21 AM

Quote:

Call me jaded, but I try not to place the self-worth of a person on physical skills. What if you're a practicing martial artist and somehow you end up losing your legs after having a car crash or being shot? Will the loss of your skills be crushing and debilitating to your entire psyche? Friends, there are many other things in life that should be savored fully. This thing we do for a past-time, a living, or even a "lifestyle" is wonderful, but it only has so much meaning. In the end we are all only imperfect mortal human beings.

OoooooK for me it would be samo hung jackie and yun biao,plus tommy carruthers.If they lost their legs they would probably become more inspirational knowing them.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Who's the man? - 08/17/06 09:28 AM

Cung Le. I'm 5'6", so I love watching a little dude throw bigger competitors around like rag dolls.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Who's the man? - 08/18/06 02:08 AM

Quote:

Cung Le. I'm 5'6", so I love watching a little dude throw bigger competitors around like rag dolls.

Same thing here.
Posted by: simplicity

Re: Who's the man? - 08/28/06 09:45 AM

The Godfather of grappling Gene LeBell
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: Who's the man? - 08/31/06 09:05 AM

I can't beleive we all forgot to mention Wanderlei Silva