What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD method

Posted by: Neko456

What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD method - 11/09/05 05:09 PM

What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD method? He obviously uses Karate as a base and uses all the concepts and free flowing methods.

Joe Lewis what do you think of him, not his ego, I find his method stuck in Kickboxing using fients and foot work of JKD and a few of its free flowing concepts. Is this JKD or just people with some JKD knowledge?

I like his idea of positioning of the power hand to rear as a orthodox boxer, but against a faster person then I. I want my better hand up front.

What do you guys think about these two JKD pieoneers?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/09/05 05:23 PM

I think Dr. Beasley understands what JKD really is all about. I wasn't always under that impression but I changed my mind after corresponding with him about it.

He has posted here before and if I can find his email address, I will see if I can get him to personally respond here.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/09/05 05:30 PM

I agree with JKogas.

Dr. Beasely's posts were the primary influence on me that convinced me that JKD is a philosophy, not a codified style. I had a hard time understanding that until I had read some of his stuff.

I am less clear on Joe Lewis. He appears to have embraced the JKD philosophy, but I am unclear on how this may have changed his "style", as he was quite an effective fighter before he met BL.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/09/05 05:39 PM

Quote:

I am less clear on Joe Lewis. He appears to have embraced the JKD philosophy, but I am unclear on how this may have changed his "style", as he was quite an effective fighter before he met BL.

But more effective when he began using boxing techniques after meeting BL.

Joe Lewis scares me a bit- I remember reading an interview with him, where he declared that in his school, you were a blackbelt, or nothing. In order to become a black belt you had to get put in the ring against a BB, and if you could survive for a certain amount of time, then you could become a BB. Just seems a bit dangerous.

And don't get me started on his ego...
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/10/05 06:19 AM

I've trained with Joe and one of his black belts. They all operate the same way (surviving three minutes in the ring). It's not as bad as one might think.

The first two minutes they pretty much go easy on you, letting YOU get a lot of the shots in. The third round it's you AND them. They fire back and go after you more. But it isn't like to the DEATH or anything.....

They feel that if you're to the point where you're testing for your black belt with them, that handling ONE three minute round in the ring with them shouldn't be any problem. After training with them for some time, I can say that it WOULDN'T be a problem. He and his coaches are good.

As far as JKD, it was never really brought up during training. The majority of what you were doing was kickboxing/Muay Thai (back in the late 90's anyway).

-John

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/10/05 10:36 AM

I agree that Dr. Beasley seems to have a solid grip on the JKD concepy mixes and matches the appropiate techniques well.

Now Master Lewis seems to vary and states that JKD changed what he was doing slightly make it more effective, mostly verify what he was doing. But he stuck to the rear power hand stance, w-boxing helped his hands. Not a bad idea because it works.He credits Lee's help in his starting the full Contact kickboxing craze.

Mr.Lewis also seem to think that Lee was more into heavy fighting drills rather then sparring. Lewis stated that they never sparred seriously. But Lee help comfirm and makes some of his personal techniques like his foot work & side kick better. Joe Lewis 190+lb of muscle back then, Lee was 145+lbs until going by Lewis he helped in Lee's weight training regiment. Lee Buffed to 150+lbs.

Rumors this or whatever If Lewis threw a technique Lee had to be good to block and counters, Lewis didn't mess around. For Lewis to even listen to a smaller man let along a Gung-fu stytlist, Lee must have had impressive skills. If you think Lewis has a ego now, it was worse back then. Back then Tournament fighters thought they were bad look at the Delgado description it wasn't tag back then.

Lee did spar with Mean a$$ Louis Delgado 165lb closer o his size who had no problem sparring Lewis or anybody and would break ribs and noses just sparring. He stated that sparring Lee was frustrating he couldn't hit him hard but Lee could hit him hard. Too fast and foot work.

Long stoy short Lewis style seem to be his own or Kickboxing and little grappling. Beasley and Lewis do seem to train togathers sometimes so the concept is there.

Re: What do you guys think of Dr. Beasely's JKD me - 11/10/05 05:17 PM

Buddy you trained with some pretty tough dudes, obviously aren't afraid of deep water competition. You must have been in pretty good shape back then.

About 5 years ago we had Master Lewis down for a seminar Old as he is, he worn everybodies butt out with his areobic like fighting and training drills. The man still a dynamo and a lot more humble though proud of who he is. He didn't ask anybody to spar and I don't think anybody wanted too.