can u teach your self JKD?

Posted by: Darkangell

can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 09:26 AM

I'm a maniac when it comes to bruce lee i know everything about him ive even bought every book i can buy associated with him, like how he biult his body over the years and advanced techniques. I wnt to know if its not to silly to believe that u can teach ur self JKD?
Posted by: chakuy

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 09:35 AM

can you teach your self something you dont know?? who will correct you if u do something wrong? i gusse ur other you
Posted by: Supremor

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 09:37 AM

IMHO You can only really learn JKD if you have a solid grounding in another art. This experience will make it so much easier to understand the principles that Lee uses. My personal thinking on learning JKD, is that it's best to find an instructor- however if you are already learning another MA then you can incorporate JKD principles into your MA.

But I think you must have some kind of instructor or experienced MAist, or you will make many fundamental mistakes in how you absorb JKD ideas. I'm afraid I would always advise finding a JKD or other MA school, before you begin trying to teach yourself an MA from books/ videos etc.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 09:39 AM

Quote:

can you teach your self something you dont know??

Ummm... I don't know if this is just your english again Chakuy, but I think it is certainly possible to learn something you don't know already. For instance, I taught my self classical Greek and managed to get an A grade in the national exams- all from a couple of text books and a lot of hard studying.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 10:34 AM

Darkangell -

*sigh*

You DO realize that Bruce Lee took instruction in martial arts for some time before attempting to start his own thing?

And he continued to work out with other high level martial artists after that, to learn even more?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 11:13 AM

No reading can do nothing to make the body and reflexes fit or enhance the spirit, it can only open up the mind. MA involves body, mind and spirit. You won't learn that from a book or by yourself.

In the end you need a instructor or a coach, if you already have some skills.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 02:27 PM

i really don't want to play the jerk here, but would all of you people with bruce lee worship syndrome PLEASE stop posting this kind of crap??? it seems like every week someone is like " oh, oh! i like bruce lee and i seen all his movies and i going to be a JKD guy now..."
ENOUGH!
you give those of us who actually practice JKD and see lee as and incredible HUMAN BEING (not demigod) a bad name.
sheesh.
Posted by: chakuy

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 03:52 PM

Greek!! its a language there is dictionary as resource if ur not sure of a spelling or if you want to know a word.. but who could correct a move? No book or video can do that!!

hehehe no i meant what i wrote, you can not teach your self.. well its not impossible but which is easier to higher a teacher or teach you self?? For MA its defiantly a teacher
Posted by: MattJ

Re: can u teach your self JKD? - 11/08/05 04:00 PM

*CLANG*