bruce lee fan

Posted by: chakuy

bruce lee fan - 11/02/05 05:21 AM

hay guys

im a big fan of bruce lee and i really would like to study his style JKD, but unfortunately we do not have any dojos that teaches that style in my country.

Anyways im postting this post to ask about what does ''be like water my friend'' mean??
thanks
Posted by: trevek

Re: bruce lee fan - 11/02/05 05:38 AM

Have you ever tried to hold water, to grab it or to hit it?

That's what it means.

Don't waste time looking for JKD, train in something and keep an open mind, the JKd may come to you.
Posted by: chakuy

Re: bruce lee fan - 11/02/05 09:33 AM

Thanks
Posted by: etaks86

Re: bruce lee fan - 11/02/05 03:59 PM

"be like water my friend" to me basicly means be fluid and formless, both hard and soft, slow and fast, you cannot grab water it molds to whatever container it is in. it's adaptive can take any form it's honest and natural. be like water my friend would be like saying do all of these things without thought or effort just naturally by instinct of course you have to train your body also. to be like water would be all of the things i've named and also to fit in naturally with the other's movements. it's like he said lay your life down as if giving up without giving up what i mean is not worring or thinking about winning or losing or life or death but only be in the moment at hand and nothing else this way you don't flaw your actions and reactions with thought and asumtions or guesses. for instance if you are thinking and worring about dying or losing or winning then your full attention is not in the moment in the fight and in that case it's easy to make mistakes or for your enemy to take advantage of your doubts. just be in the moment at hand and let nature take it's course. but of course you still need to train your body so were that your reflexes and instincts will react correctly when they should. anyway these are just some opinions that i've gathered from jdk philosophy. i hope it helps.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: bruce lee fan - 11/03/05 04:53 PM

"be like water" --- I think it means when things get hot you'll boil then evaporate.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: bruce lee fan - 11/03/05 06:59 PM

Then you get to be like air - hot air.

Actually, I think the trick is not to be LIKE water, but to BE water, or even just BE. Hmmm.... I guess that's why we're called human BEings.

Get it?