Danzig and JKD

Posted by: Cord

Danzig and JKD - 10/05/05 01:16 PM

Ok, to some this post will mean nothing, but to others it may be of interest. Glen Danzig was the lead singer of the seminal punk group 'The Misfits' and has gone on to be a hugely succesfull recording artist with his rock/metal Group 'Danzig'. He is affectionately known as 'Evil Elvis' because his voice is very similar to 'the kings', and his lyrics and image are almost exclusively based around the Occult and supernatural.
He also has a reputation as being something of a tough guy with a quick temper and well able to handle himself. This image was dented somewhat a couple of years ago when caught starting a fight on camera, only to be KTFO for all the world to see!.
Through an idle web search I have discovered the following interesting fact. He is a long term JKD student of Jerry Poteet, and is listed on Mr Poteets website as a registered instructor!
So my question is simple, anyone here been trained by, or trained with Mr Danzig? If so I would be interested in your experiences or any second hand info anyone may be able to give on this subject. Cheers
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/05/05 01:52 PM

Huh. I did not know Danzig trained JKD. Very interesting.

Holy crap! Here it is:

http://www.bigjkd.com/poteet_instructors.htm

So, is it Maynard (singer from Tool) that is the other metal MA? Didn't Rikki Rockett (Poison's drummer) train BJJ for a while?

"Your lyric-fu is weaker than my bass drum-fu!"

MUSICAL MEGA MAULING!!!!

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/05/05 01:58 PM

Yeah, but Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies would kick all their a$$es, not to mention Henry Rollins

Anyway, I thought 'Poison' would be more used to recieving BJ's than training BJJ

Incidentaly, to widen the possibility of response Danzigs real name is Glen Anzalone, just in case he ever taught/trained under that title to avoid recognition.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/05/05 07:18 PM

I remember that loud mouth SEVERAL years ago claiming to be able to "desimate" anyone that got in his way. Except for the guy that knocked him the F*&K out I suppose......

Danzig is a very short man with a HUGE Napolean complex. I saw the video in question and he just got waxed. Served him right. I never thought much of Poteet or any of the "original" JKD crowd so it was a real delight for me to see one of Poteets "best" get his ass handed to him!

-John

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/06/05 01:16 AM

Yep, whilst I love his music, he is severely lacking in character IMO. It just seemed strange that in that clip he should start a fight in the first place, and for a supposedly highly trained MA to start with a 'shove' to a guy clearly twice his size seemed crazy! I mean, if your gonna do it- do it, dont go all schoolyard on a 'Big Show' look alike
I must say that Mr Poteet gets a lot of coverage in british MA mags, and was interested to see what his reputation was like, I mean, surely he wouldnt want to train, or align himself with someone who is reknowned for picking fights? I mean that just goes against the ethos of his art doesnt it?
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/07/05 04:26 PM

even funnier is how jason scott lee is mentioned in poteet's bio as having trained for 4 months to play bruce lee in "dragon:the bl story". he's an instructor on the same list. or maybe he's just playing one?

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/07/05 04:58 PM

Yeah I wondered about that. I cut the instructor thing some slack as I took it that Jason may have continued his training after filming had finished.If not then that is the quickest instructor certification outside of Ashida Kim's 'buy the certificate' scandal.
But JSL did a cracking job in 'Dragon' IMO, regardless of his off screen martial skill.
Posted by: foreverrocker

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/07/05 08:50 PM

I remember watching Glen get dropped. He did deserve it. As for the "original" students of Bruce...there is only one I respect fully, Dan Inosanto. He is the real deal. When I went to Las Vegas for the Bruce Lee shindig several years back. I had a chance to train with some of the "originals", they were out of shape, fat. I am thinking, Bruce did not teach you enough. I think I would be in excellet shape, I would be carrying Bruce's torch.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/07/05 09:14 PM

While I have a lot of respect for Dan, I have worked with Larry Hartsell, and I can assure you that he is also the real deal.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/07/05 09:58 PM

Larry Hartsell is the man. He was my brother-in-law's (my sister's husband)instructor a little more than 30 years ago. My bro-in-law was my first link to JKD and told me a LOT about those days with Larry. My sister used to say that he would often come home fairly bruised up at times. Good stuff.

I've also trained with Larry on a few occasions and have nothing but respect for the man. All this isn't to say that anyone here was disrespecting the man! It's just that the mention of his name conjures a lot of memories for me. He really did a lot for getting grappling into the minds of the JKD faithful.

-John
Posted by: foreverrocker

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/08/05 10:43 AM

Sorry, I left Larry out. He is a great fighter.
Posted by: Denouncer

Re: Danzig and JKD - 10/27/05 10:30 PM

I also agree with that about Dan Inosanto. I really respect what he has done since Bruce has passed.