are their other forms of the one inch punch?

Posted by: lorn

are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 08/19/05 11:11 AM

im pretty sure you guys have talked about the one inch punch alot, but can it be done not just thru your hand but like lets say your feet or elbo or knee ?

sorry if this has been talked about allready but i checked the serch and couldnt find anything about other forms of the one inch punch.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 08/19/05 02:19 PM

I am not familiar with one inch elbows, etc. Those joints have the structural integrity that they don't always require the same kind of initial momentum that smaller ones (hands, feet) do. So I do not see the same NEED for short range power development, as there already is plenty.

Some other arts use a similar type of short range power, such as Tai Chi and Aikido. You might look into those.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 08/20/05 06:25 AM

I would put more faith in the one inch headbut. I have perfected this technique thanks to our forum members. When someone mentions who would win or Bruce Lee,mall ninjas,chi balls,etc. With those posts my technique develops and my desk suffers.
Posted by: Cord

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 08/20/05 02:01 PM

To generate close range stopping power with the minimum of physical movement,may i suggest a stun gun?
Posted by: tiger

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 09/26/05 02:09 PM

THE 1 INCH ELBOW
Just practice twisting elbow and tensing the rist area to create a short range elbow power.
Posted by: Fightknight

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 09/26/05 10:43 PM

I mention this in another post but the one inch punch is a parlour trick. Easy for anyone to do. Why do people keep talking about this. If you want I will explain why it's a trick.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 09/28/05 07:21 AM

Quote:

I mention this in another post but the one inch punch is a parlour trick. Easy for anyone to do. Why do people keep talking about this. If you want I will explain why it's a trick.

How true my friend. If you can box properly, then you can do the one inch punch. It's not some mythical MA secret that can only be performed by the highest ranking masters. Saying that, you would be amazed at the number of people who've been boxing for years and still don't have the correct movement for power punching. Even in my class, there are only a few out of about twenty people who can move their bodyweight AND torque themselves correctly. I think it may have been more impressive when Bruce was doing it because the "classical" arts were predominant back then. Now however, there are a great number of people who have integrated boxing into their MA or have joined classes where boxing is already part of the curriculum.
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: are their other forms of the one inch punch? - 09/28/05 07:29 AM

There are other movements you can do such as a one inch side kick if you are able to use a pendulum motion well. But if your foot is only one inch away, then your opponent is going to be standing in punching range and therefore is going to be trying to land some bombs in your face, much better to be worrying about punching him at this point rather than putting power into a low kick.
The one inch elbow or even shoulder may serve a purpose (these would use the same technique as the punching version), but probably not very often. You have to think about what would be better to do in certain situations.