Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves

Posted by: Jay Q

Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/04/05 02:00 PM

Does anybody have any experience using these two types of gloves? Some friends and I are getting together to spar on a regular basis. We try to cover all of the ranges: long range, boxing/kickboxing range, clinch, and ground fighting. We are trying to decide on whether to buy the UFC/Pride style gloves (lighter, less padding, sharp edges creates more chance of cutting the other guy[remember Vitor Belfort cutting Randy Coutoure's eye?, more finger mobility) or Bruce Lee's grappling gloves from Enter the Dragon(more padding, but consequently less finger movement). Both have their pros and cons.

Most in our group are in their thirties so were not young gung-ho macho types trying to prove how tough we are. Our main goal is to learn from each other by sparring, under mutually-resistant conditions without doing unneccesary harm. We all have to get up and go to work the next day and have families to take care of.

Anyone have any experience with these two types of gloves?

Peace,
JQ
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/04/05 06:02 PM

I would SERIOUSLY advise you to consider using THESE gloves:

http://www.combatsports.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=21853

You can find them on Ebay for about 10 bucks less. You won't regret having gone that route.

-John

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/04/05 07:04 PM

Thanks for your input John. I will definitely check these out since I know you have probably put them to the test in your own training!

JQ
Posted by: katsuhayai05

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/04/05 11:09 PM

Personally I find for myself it doesn't matter if I have finger mobility I don't usually use techniques that involve the fingers too much. I can usually do any kind of joint locking techniques just fine without the use of my fingers.

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/05/05 12:23 PM

I get your point, but for us we need to have the use of our fingers to practice grabs (on clothing and hair), takedowns, locks and wing chun-type traps. so we're looking for gloves that will allow us to move from boxing range through clinch to submission without having to change gloves. thanks for the input though.
Jay
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/05/05 06:37 PM

Absolutely! You definitely need fingers for control in the clinch - nevermind joint locking (where having and using fingers still helps a GREAT deal).

I have put the above gloves to the test and they perform VERY well.

-John
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Bruce Lee's grappling gloves VS. MMA gloves - 08/06/05 05:52 PM

I use these:

http://www.mycenturygym.com/sysimg/store/fullsize/wrap_glove_full.jpg