How did Bruce have so much energy all the time?

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/12/05 11:22 PM

I remember reading somewhere about how Bruce Lee always worked out everyday and was full of energy all the time.

DOes anybody know how he was able to be like that.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/12/05 11:32 PM

Because he was made of platinum and had a nuclear core!!!!!!

*Sound of hair being ripped out* !#!@$@%#@!$!!@%

*Sound of monitor being smashed with a firepoker* ~!#!$@%#^$&%*^&$%@

bruce lee .....BRuce Lee..... BRUCE LEE!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Chen Zen....I'm sending you flowers and a sympathy card
Posted by: Cord

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/13/05 12:09 PM

Memories of my summer breaks when at school, have got sunnier and warmer with every year that has passed since they finished. Memory has a way of focussing on positives, thats why nostalgia isn't what it used to be

i have no doubt that Mr Lee was an exceptional athlete, but what makes his achievements and physical prowess all the more impressive, is that they occured whilst at the mercy of human weakness- fatigue, lethargy, injury,frustration etc.
If he was incapable of experiencing these things it would make his legacy a foregone conclusion, not a success story.
Posted by: thefro

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/14/05 02:05 PM

I did a study on Bruce Lee recently. The reason he had so much boundless energy was from sheer hard work. He used to get tired just like the rest of us, but after a fight that broke out at one of his schools in California, he decided he needed to train harder, so he did. He worked out with weights ever other day, ran 2-6 miles everday ((he runs a five minute mile)) and did his martial training with hand weights.He simply just worked himself to perfection
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/14/05 05:05 PM

now now...nobody's perfect.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/14/05 05:20 PM

Quote:

((he runs a five minute mile))

That's pretty good at his age.

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/15/05 08:47 AM

Quote:

I did a study on Bruce Lee recently. The reason he had so much boundless energy was from sheer hard work. He used to get tired just like the rest of us, but after a fight that broke out at one of his schools in California, he decided he needed to train harder, so he did. He worked out with weights ever other day, ran 2-6 miles everday ((he runs a five minute mile)) and did his martial training with hand weights.He simply just worked himself to perfection

Posted by: etaks86

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/16/05 01:47 AM

Well i'm sure he got tired like everyone does. but maybe because he worked out alot and was always wanting to improve his health, i don't know, maybe he ate healthy also.
Posted by: Neonomide

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/20/05 10:12 PM

No he didn't. He preferred to do interwall running and different steps, but wasn't interested in mile running.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/23/05 11:09 AM

Mile running and timed cycling were his main cardio workouts.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/25/05 01:22 AM

Wasnt interested in mile running? I could have swore that I read the he often ran two or three miles a day and as many as five in one of his books. The Tao of JKD if Im not mistaken.

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/25/05 10:20 AM

I apologise, this was a misunderstanindg by my part. I'm a foreigner, I meant that Lee did run, but he did not run in certain fixed routine. I have read several books as well and he did run every day.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 07/26/05 03:31 PM

Quote:

Because he was made of platinum and had a nuclear core!!!!!!

*Sound of hair being ripped out* !#!@$@%#@!$!!@%

*Sound of monitor being smashed with a firepoker* ~!#!$@%#^$&%*^&$%@

bruce lee .....BRuce Lee..... BRUCE LEE!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Chen Zen....I'm sending you flowers and a sympathy card

Posted by: DanielKuo

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 07/26/05 03:33 PM

Bruce lee had strict nutritional diet. He mixed his own fruit juices,rarely ate lean meat [fish], ate seaweed , alot of fruit and vegetables. Good nutrition gives you alot of energy and stamina
Posted by: SNiPeRViRuS

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 07/27/05 11:10 AM

I wonder about that though. He had a lot of muscle. Muscle doesnt grow without meat. If he rarely ate any meat, where did all his protien come from?
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 07/27/05 08:01 PM

All hail Bruce Lee! god among men! He is supreme!

But in all seriousness exercise, exercise, exercise. He had a great amount of stamina and endurance. This doesn't mean he didn't get tired, it just means it took a lot longer for that to happen.
Posted by: Nightrage

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/02/05 12:26 AM

Quote:

I wonder about that though. He had a lot of muscle. Muscle doesnt grow without meat. If he rarely ate any meat, where did all his protien come from?

Beans, (not sure if they had it back then, but...) whey protein (the powder), fish, chicken which is considered poultry, yogurt, etc. Lots of stuff has protein in it. Meat is simply a great source for protein. Eating meat isn't like a steroid, it's simply packed to the core with protein which can be found in other places. Lots of people avoid eating meat like steaks and such, because it gives them stomach aches.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/02/05 12:56 PM

as a child he was ultra active all the time, probably hyper-active. in his school the only one of his teachers to control did so by making him active all of all the time doing class chores liek rubbing the board and running errands - i think this energy stayed with him for most of his life till he hit major fame.

he would run 5-6 miles a day and practised on his wing chun dummy all the time. he also used to have that habit many martial artists have of almost always subconciously training by hitting things and practising blocks against things. i read one of his biographys yesterday

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/04/05 11:49 AM

I must also add that he integrated his training with his personal philosophy, so he got it backed up all the way. He wanted to be the best there is with everything he did. He also had a supporting wife.
Posted by: dadoody5

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/07/05 09:14 PM

When you work out all the time, you do gain a lot of energy.

You should try working out on a regular basis and ask the question again.

Also, Bruce Lee might have over done things at times. Remember, he suffered from severe back pain due to not stretching properly and was always in pain. He also died very young.

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/09/05 01:08 PM

Quote:

When you work out all the time, you do gain a lot of energy.

You should try working out on a regular basis and ask the question again.

Also, Bruce Lee might have over done things at times. Remember, he suffered from severe back pain due to not stretching properly and was always in pain. He also died very young.

he died young from an extreme asprin allergy not from poor stretching. i suppose the chewing weed didn't help near the end.
Posted by: cxt

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/09/05 02:36 PM

Ahh, fun

They guy DID NOT say he died from poor streaching, he said he was in pain from not streaching properly.

If your going to pick fights and be a pain, then at least get the posts correct.

K?

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/10/05 10:41 AM

sorry i apologise, i must have read the post too fast and thought it said something like 'he was in pain from poor stretching and died young'. my bad, i should really learn to read things through.
Posted by: awais786

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/10/05 10:35 PM

Well the way i put it is that bruce lee had nothing else to do expect for work out and if you keep doing one thing again and again, you just get perfect at that certian thing

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/11/05 09:09 PM

Lee got his back injury while doing good mornings with more than 2/3 of his bodyweight.

And he probably died of neplalese marihuana overdose, not from painkiller. This has been confirmed by two of his doctors. So there.

He DID strech a lot, his back injury was a result of poor warm up procedure before the exercice. Word is that he forgot that only at that particular day. It is also worth noting that he used more weights than what is recommended today in his good morning.

As for his energy, I bet he had some sort of ADHD syndrome to cope with, it would explain his other tendencies as well...

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/12/05 09:12 AM

Quote:

And he probably died of neplalese marihuana overdose, not from painkiller. This has been confirmed by two of his doctors. So there.

it depends on what bio you read. mine says the doctors said he had an extreme asprin allergy which is the offical cause of his death but a lot of doctors dispute it. it will be pointless arguing about this so lets agree to dis agree then

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time? - 08/12/05 11:02 AM

Neither aspirin nor marijuana have been confirmed as cause of Mr Lee's death. There was no autopsy, and no ruling by the Coroner on cause of death, that is why it is still a topic of argument such as this.
Simple truth is no one will ever know. Much better to concentrate on the mans life and his contribution to the MA than on his death.
Actually, devote some energy into learning about Dan Inosanto, It could easily be argued that he has done more for the 'concept' of JKD and the validity of MMA than Bruce was able to during his lifetime.

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/16/05 11:22 AM

Sorry to derail a bit, but I think one valid argument regarding Lee's death is that HK's politicians knew his real cause of death and chose to lie in favour of public well-being. Just too many teenage Lee-fans would have done the "Jim Morrison thing", presumably. But I digress.

Inosanto surely is of great importance because his role in preserving and evolving JKD, but almost no-one has denied the role of primus motor in this case. It is (a bit) like the relationship of Jesus and Paul in Christianity.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/16/05 11:41 AM

There is a growing body of research that suggests that one of the ways in which people express their anger or denial about a tragedy is to seek out nefarious plots and comspiracies to explain or mitigate the pain of loss. The more monumental the loss the more monumental the conspiracy. For instance, in the well-known Kennedy Assassination the routine suppression and loss of information that goes on in any investigation suddenly took on new and sinister meaning. Add to this the political and national security implications of actually HAVING a president killed and suddenly there are all sorts of theories. The same is true of Bruce Lee. He was a national level pop icon. His death rocked way too many boats. Therefore it only follows that his death must have been as gothic in its tragedy as his larger-than-life image was in its public success. Marilyn Monroe was a larger-than-life sex kitten so it only followed that her death would have sexual and self-destructive overtones. Old soldiers go out with dignified martial bearing, while old politicians go out in a chorus of community love.

BTW: We don't KNOW that Bruce Lee had "so much energy" all the time. We only have the reports of people around him. To my way of thinking he probably had the same training regimine that any decent golden gloves boxer had. Then add on the moderating influence of a shooting schedule. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/17/05 07:02 PM

I hear you and I'm fascinated by your great analysis on cultural phenomena regarding these myths of important people. I just like use my brains a bit, even though I know it is somewhat irrevelant concerning Lee's heritage to the MA world. But it might tell something about his process and choices that influenced him. IF it wasn't a death by misadventure.

As for his cause of death, please read this: http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com/death.html

As for Lee's great energy, I also would suggest people to read his stuff and hear comments from people that really trained with him, instead of just hypothesing on the subject. He had this thing going from very early age, so his nickname was "never stays still". It's certainly a great motivational life story, no doubt about it. He also lived the life he lived largely because his tremendous energy.

I do not think that people should therefore see him as the ultimate standard in too many things. His unconformistic personal philosophy is especially interesting in that respect, because he always emphazised that "do not duplicate a successful personality, live your life instead to fit your dreams, capabilities and develop yourself without harmful external limits to your progress". His theme of constant growth can be clearly seen in his saying "flowing water never goes stale". Wiseguys have always commented that the idea of an ethical and a individualistic martial artist is a very controversial thing but I think Lee, as a chinese thinker, looked life as a whole. As a system of constant change. He was a very well educated man, who did't think that fighting arts exist for superficialty, like competition. He likened the role of teacher to "a sign pole for a traveller". This can also be seen in his disliking of teaching to large groups of people.

Inosanto btw taught one known finnish martial artist while travelling on the train during night. The student was totally affected by Inosantos working ethic, enthusiasm and need to be sure that his student can apply and really understands what he teaches. He actually told that Inosanto changed his whole thinking about martial arts, even thought they trained only for a relatively short time period. I think most people know to whom Inosanto credits much of his work ethic.

It has been said many times that Lee's training loads weren't so impressive by today's sport science standards. Instead he wanted to test things to fit his needs. So he kind of HAD to overtrain to achieve this. He concentrated his energy on the methods, being an academically educated philosopher. If some sportmen have trained successfully in a certain way, why shouldn' it work for anyone else as well? Were the methods they going to help me or not? How can I know it? How can I measure it? And most importantly, how far human body can go, if the vast limitations of mind are conquered? For Lee, training was the whole process, not just one nice looking and feeling part of it.
Posted by: lorn

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/19/05 11:07 AM

well he also practiced tai chi alot also , and with his faith in his spiritality , was also that gave him strenght to go the extra mile, because he had something a lot of you havent touched on

a belief in his self , his family ,, thats is also what gave him more power then most people ,, his love.

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/20/05 01:56 PM

Quote:

a belief in his self , his family ,, thats is also what gave him more power then most people ,, his love.

Nonsense.

Its Ironic that my devotion and love for my family sees me working hard for their security (financial and otherwise), and making time to spend with them at the expense of some things that i would persue more fervently if I were a single man (I 'sacrifice' two potential MA classes per week to spend quality time with my wife, and do so with a glad heart). Supporting a family and maintaining a good marriage requires energy, it doesnt generate it

Bruce Lee may well have been unique in many ways, but devotion to loved one's and strong family values are still hearteningly common amongst us mere mortals
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/20/05 04:02 PM

No disrespect but does anyone think he might have had ADD/ADHD? I've read some studies that say Martial Arts can have positive affects on children/teens aflicted with the forementioned, perhaps that was the source of his endless energy and it was fine tuned by MA training? I got a friend who has this and man....he'll stay up with us all night long then once we crash out he's up and at'em before we get some good snores out.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/20/05 06:39 PM

Why are we so focused on Bruce Lee here? Is that what JKD means to all of you?

-John
Posted by: JoelM

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/20/05 11:24 PM

Bruce who?
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/21/05 08:28 PM

BRUCELEEBRUCELEEBRUCELEEBRUCELEEBRUCELEE.

Kevin

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/23/05 07:57 PM

Quote:

No disrespect but does anyone think he might have had ADD/ADHD? I've read some studies that say Martial Arts can have positive affects on children/teens aflicted with the forementioned, perhaps that was the source of his endless energy and it was fine tuned by MA training?.

It's a somewhat possible scenario. But it must also be said that he was a bibliophile, so physical activity wasn't always where he aimed his roaring flames.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: How did Bruce have so much energy all the time - 08/26/05 01:18 AM

Cmon guys, how long did you think this was gonna last? Honestly? You're usually so well behaved. ADD? Marijuana? Ninja assassins?

How about real discussion? Topics that matter? Scientific facts and theory? Thank you. Said my piece. Thread closed.