Did Bruce Lee do kata?

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/02/05 06:37 PM

yup
Posted by: Da_Man

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/02/05 07:06 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong. However, I thought kata referred only to Karate forms. In which case I don't recall that he did. He did practice forms though.
Posted by: Kosh

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/05/05 07:53 PM

I think it doesn`t matter what you call it as long as people understand what you mean. Kata, hyung, kuen, cbuan, guro, form... is all the same to me.
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 12:22 AM

Bruce Lee was a great martial artist, and we can all learn from him in one way or another. However, it isn't likely that he practiced kata.Either he didn't quite grasp it, or simply had no use for it. To quote Lee:

"I think simply to practice gung fu forms and karate katas is not a good way. Moreover, it wastes time and does not match the actual (fighting) situation. Some people are tall, some are short, aome are stout, some are slim. There ar various kinds of people. If all of them learn the same boxxing (i.e. martial art) form, then who does it fit?"
Posted by: Diga

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 12:36 AM

Form Bruce Lees books - He said he did not do kata.
BUT - when I worked on some of his sets of blocking techniques and other forms that he created it was just as hard to get the sequences down as it is to learn some kata.
PLUS - after doing a few hundred repetitions of one of his sets it really helped me to automatically block anything comming in while sparring without thinking, along with shifting the body, feet, and chambered strike hand.
Call them kata or forms..........all good stuff.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 06:54 AM

The only form he knew was the siu lim tao, which is the first form of wing chun.
Id ont agree with him if he says that forms are useless. I have found great uses for them.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 07:28 AM

How have you found forms to be useful? How have they helped you?

Not flaming guys, sincerely questioning.

-John

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 08:48 AM

The forms seem like they are just a summary of moves, and I dont know about katas, a form is not a summary of the movements. The form does several things:

1. It teaches you energy build up and release. For example, in the siu lim tao form that Lee did, in the beginning the movements should be done very slow with no tention, when you extend your arm you should pretend there is a force pushing your elbow and you pushing against that. It basically teaches that the power in the punch should come from the push in the elbow, rather than your hand pulling your arm. In the latter part of the form, all the energy is released through short abrupt movements.

2. It helps begineers learn the movements of the style without them realising it. For example there is a bit called the controlling hand which you use to grab someones head to control it, but you dont learn that till after you learn the form.

3. It helps your concentration and is a type of meditation, it relaxes you, it helps you focus when you are doing the drills, and it teaches you how to be concentrated for long periods of time.

I understand that a lot of people dont see the benefits of the above and would rather spend the time doing the drills. For me it fills a missing part in my training that is the non-agressive side. The non powerfull side. It complements my training, although I am not saying that you cannot fight without them (probably the opposite, I have never been in a fight and wished I had practiced my form for longer) but it just completes my training for me. Especially when I am all spent, it helps summarize and give a closure to the session.
Also the stance is great exercise for the legs, after you stand like that for 30 min.

Also, I forgot, it teaches you the transition from one move to another, and because its done slowly you have time to think about it and perfect the positioning.

The benefits that I get from it, may not reflect the experience of others, just myself, but I have certainly found use for the forms.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/06/05 10:22 AM

He studied Wing Chun as his base art from a traditional WC instructor of course he did forms, in one of his auditions of his Kato role in the Green Hornet he did a crane mixed Pray mantis form, So he did study classic forms/Kata and only after taking what he wanted from the traditional did he form his oppinon on becoming form less.

But from what I've seen of JKD practioners taht I've worked with in my area is that the pure JKD guys look raggly compared to the guys that transceden from the other systems. Now all of these guys are powerful and being unauthordous help in some incidents. But trully IMHO, only after going thru the steps or crawaling, stepping, walking then to running can you say if there is benifit.

Guru Dan was a AM Kenpo Sandan among other systems, before he met Sifu Lee. Indeed he still looks good moving and performing his techniques.

Now I will admitt that the JKD is far from WC now, its only 1/8 of the system. Used in what they call their trapping range and Chi-sao drills, if I'm correct maybe.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/09/05 02:24 AM

Bruce did practice the SLT form from WC for awhile. He didnt seem to care for forms but early JKD was largely what he had learned from WC. While telling others to have an open mind he was quite biased to WC. And why not? It was his first art, the thing that started it all for him.

John asks, "what have you gained from forms?" Good question. I no longer practice them but I did so dillegently when I first started MA. I think in the beginning it helped my rythm and understanding of transitional movement between various attacks and postures. It was an easy way to practice technique on your own. At the same time, I remember learning my first form. I remember feeling like Jacky Chan or Jet Li because I could do movements that were flashy and pretty and entertaining to watch. But that isnt all there is to fighting. When I learned that, I left forms behind. I had my own rythm now, and better ways to train techniques, and while looking pretty was appealing, it isnt surviving.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/09/05 07:07 AM

I think you are talkng from a very personal perspective, and while I agree that many people like the forms because they are like somthing from a movie, the wing chun forms are not, they are not pretty and they are frankly quite boring to look at.

Quote:

and while looking pretty was appealing, it isnt surviving

Is everything you do in MAs about surviving?
Do you live in a really bad area and you need to survive?
Do you not have 20 min to spend that are not about surviving?

Quote:

But that isnt all there is to fighting

I respectfully disagree, martial arts is not all about fighting.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/10/05 12:17 AM

Is everything I do in MA about surviving? Actually, yes. Isnt that the point? Sure I enjoy other aspects of it, but the number one reason for practice is survival in my eyes. If you dont survive none of the other things that appeal to you matter do they? I dont live in a bad area anymore, but I do travel to some rough places in my occupation. And I carry large sums of money while working as well. I have to. So my safety is always of importance to me. Sure fighting isnt all there is to martial arts but it was the arts first intention.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/10/05 06:42 PM

Quote:

Sure fighting isnt all there is to martial arts but it was the arts first intention.

Agreed.
I just think that my fighting may not be benefitting in the short run because I could be spanding that time actually learning something more practical, but I think in the long run my skill will benefit, maybe I am wrong but I cant find a better way to cool down after a sparring session than some slow breathing form
Posted by: mantis_boxing

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 07/29/05 05:28 AM

Even kickboxers should benefit from kata, provided they are given the applications and hidden techniques. But you know what, even if they arent provided the hidden uses for katas it should benefit them right down to plain old good habits in fighting forms and position. It gives good foundation. Check out the sam chien form of ngo cho kun kungfu (five ancestor fist) to see what i mean about these good habits. In my opinion certain katas are even applicaBLE to MMA fighters, for example in a ground and pound situation from the top, close quarters kungfu techniques and habits could be applied for a tighter hold down or a more dynamic striking combination. There are also some really nifty arm breaking techniques that would be good in MMA - pop someone's extended elbow real quick. Anyway back to the topic, yeah BL did kata george dillman said so in an interview for blackbelt magazine, he said BL likened kata or forms to the alphabet, how do you write words and sentences without first learning the alphabet. But when you know the alphabet well and are writing essays, it would be senseless to take up penmanship lessons again. That is unless you want to further refine your writing technique to say make it more ledgible or maybe effortless. BL has too many kungfu techniques for some ignorants to go on and say that BL never learned or did kata. If it in fact was true that he said he never performed kata maybe his intention was to let everybody on that kata was useless so that only people dedicated enough to learn forms would be gifted the rewards of learning kata. pls let me know if you guys agree disagree with this, thank you
Posted by: mike_p

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/16/05 11:35 AM

In Hong Kong, Bruce learned the wing chun sil lim tao form, as well as parts of the other wing chun forms. He also learned forms from other gung fu styles, and later taught some of them to his first US students. According to his first student Jesse Glover, there was a time when Bruce thought that the secret to gung fu effectiveness was in the forms. He frequently practiced sil lim tao with dynamic tension in his early US days. He later changed his mind on forms, and spoke of them in a negative manner.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/18/05 07:14 PM

Quote:

Even kickboxers should benefit from kata, provided they are given the applications and hidden techniques. But you know what, even if they arent provided the hidden uses for katas it should benefit them right down to plain old good habits in fighting forms and position.

Kata would only waste PRECIOUS training time.

Quote:

In my opinion certain katas are even applicaBLE to MMA fighters, for example in a ground and pound situation from the top, close quarters kungfu techniques and habits could be applied for a tighter hold down or a more dynamic striking combination.

Quote:

There are also some really nifty arm breaking techniques that would be good in MMA - pop someone's extended elbow real quick.

They ALREADY study joint locks during Brazilian jiu-jitsu training. There are NO katas found within the art of Brazilian jiu-jitsu, wrestling, or boxing. They’re doing just fine by just training against resisting opponents. Training against the AIR isn’t going to provide that same resistance and a REAL LIVE partner is going to provide.

The “FORM” you learn to fight with, comes from the FORM of “application” against a human being that offers real TIMING and real resistance – something you’re not going to get from kata.

-John
Posted by: trevek

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/19/05 09:15 AM

The original Lee quote "to SIMPLY study gung fu forms...".

I'd suggest that he meant that ONLY doing forms and not learning to apply them in a realistic way was a waste of time (from the point of view of combat training).

As to the idea that kata are not present in BJJ, wrestling or boxing I'd ask whether that depends on your idea of what kata is.

As an earlier post mentions, repetition of drills is similar to what many see as kata. In Judo, practicing throws is seen as kata. When I did Backhold wrestling my coach demonstrated a system he'd devised as to how I could practice the throws on my own (without a partner)and study the necessary technique ("If I was japanese, they'd call this kata").

Kata is simply drill.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/19/05 09:39 AM

I understand that definition of kata. The kata I'm referring to are the forms done along a floor pattern (such as the "I" pattern).

-John

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/19/05 10:13 AM

Granted, but surely this kind of kata can also be used in the form of a drill, changing speed, power etc.

I once interviewed a Karate champion called Alfie Lewis about his Freestyle karate. He reckoned that he had no use for 'traditional' kata and saw shadow boxing as a form of 'freestyle kata'.
Posted by: WushuStudent

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/22/05 10:06 AM

Hi everyone. I don't post very often but I have been reading on and off for a few years now. I remember when I first started reading the forums here that a similar subject on Kata's and their importance in training was getting beaten to death at the time. But it was very interesting.

My two cents.

I think the most important thing you gain by doing forms are your "attributes". I'm talking about speed, prescision, focus, intensity, etc.

I'm not saying that there aren't better ways to train these, but this is a good way if your by yourself. In some ways even shadow boxing resembles this like said above.

My main point is, I've been studying JKD for over a year now. I've studied quite a few styles in the past, on and off for over 20 years. The one thing I can say is that my techniques wouldn't even be close to what they are now if it wasn't for form.

Training has evolved over time and depending on what your focus is maybe form isn't important to your training. I still think there is a lot you can gain from it though.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/22/05 12:19 PM

Bruce Lee was a student of Yip Man, we can agree with that, right. Did Yip Man teach kuens, all Wing Chun systems did. Bruce also studied other Gung-fu systems among other arts they all the gung-fu are teach Kuens. Only after attain a certain proficency did he declare his opinion on forms or Kuens. One thing about Lee that I've seen is that his JKD students that didn't have a back ground in other systems their techniques were powerful but are not as clean and sharp as Lee's or Guru Dans (you know he did forms/Kata being a 3rd dan in Am Kenpo).

In a tapped performance for a flim role Bruce combined a Praying Mantis and White Crane form/Kuen. He states that it was a White Crane form. Its shows his flexibility and speed, its kinda of rough but man was he fast.

We need to stop comparing the Student Lee that trained and done as he was told with the inovative Jr. Master Sifu Lee that changed how most people studied their art. Still we must seek whats best for us, in the begining we don't know. But we can't take the advice of Masters talking to Masters, when we are babes.

Few people train like or studied like Lee, and fewer will attain skills like Bruce Lee.

Have you watch Guru Dan when he younger move he's awesome he states that Lee moved much better. Can you even imagine that?
Posted by: elmastero1

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/22/05 06:20 PM

Quote:

In a tapped performance for a flim role Bruce combined a Praying Mantis and White Crane form/Kuen. He states that it was a White Crane form. Its shows his flexibility and speed, its kinda of rough but man was he fast.

I think you're talking about this clip.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/23/05 11:01 AM

I can't pull it up now but if its the performance in a black suit and tie, yes. He does the kata/kuen as he explains what it is.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 11/24/05 09:41 AM

Thats it. That was back when he still a "gung fu" man. A few years before the JKD concept came along I believe.
Posted by: Shinobiteacher1

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/07/05 02:12 PM

Up to a point. Then he says that he lost stopped getting the benifits of it.Hence the start of JKD.
DOMO

And I guess we could call them forms and not Kata to stop the confusion
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/18/05 10:19 AM

the interveiw for the film role that fell through wasn't it? then he scares the crap out of the guy interveiwing him.

is kuen the chinese name for kata?

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/19/05 04:23 AM

A quote from Jesse Glover, one of Lee's seattle students

"As far as forms and such-like go, I feel it's true to say that by the time Bruce had arrived at the conclusion that forms had no great significance he had already acquired at least ninety-percent of his skill!"

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/21/05 04:11 PM

Yes Kuen is the what the Some Kung-fu guys call forms.

I agree with Jesse Glover, Lee made his decision after gaining the benefit of forms, then stated that time would be better served by sparring. Or something like that, formless systems leads to sloopy fighting. But is that important maybe, maybe not as long as its effective.

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/21/05 04:25 PM

Glover is also sceptical about JKD as a 'reality' rather than a 'concept'. He reckons that books such as Tao of JKD are useless for the vast majority of MAists as he feels they never reach the level Lee was at to enter into the arena he was in.
Posted by: mike_p

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/22/05 11:12 AM

I believe the filmed interview/demo where Bruce did forms was for the role of the Green Hornet...I think he was 24 at the time of the interview, it has been a while since I saw it.
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Did Bruce Lee do kata? - 12/23/05 04:52 PM

Quote:

Bruce Lee was a student of Yip Man, we can agree with that, right. Did Yip Man teach kuens, all Wing Chun systems did.

Bruce was not a direct student of Yip man. I am pretty shure of that but I could be wrong. He was a student of Wong Shung Leung.

Who cares what Bruce did?

I have dropped doing all my Shoalin forms. I found it a waste of time.. but maybe someone will get something from them. Don't blindly follow someone else.