Is a Change Recommended?

Posted by: madmattg

Is a Change Recommended? - 07/01/05 06:22 PM

Ok, I have been an instructor in Nunjukai and Wing Chun and until recently was doing Krav Maga. I really liked the training but the Politics has just got me beat. In Australia I really recommend you do something else.

Anyhow, I was looking at the local JKD centre and wanted a true hard lined approach from current or past practioners as to whether it is really worth its metal.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/01/05 07:25 PM

Well, like anything else, there are good JKD schools and bad JKD schools. I suggest checking it out and deciding for yourself.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/02/05 12:43 AM

Id atttend a class or two to see if it fits you and if its a good school. If its a good school it'll be worth your time to check it out for awhile.
Posted by: madmattg

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/02/05 02:56 AM

That was the plan and it is a truely affiliated Dan inosanto school, with his attendance for a month every December; so that alone should make it worth while.

Thanks for comments.

Of those that have attended or doing classes within a good school, how do you find the fighting style?
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/16/05 02:21 AM

It's my opinon that you don't have to go to school to be at good fighting. i'm sure alot will disagree with what i just said but that's fine people can disagree all they want, it doesn't effect me if they do. anyway i think for one if you already have a background in other martial arts that will help alot. for two i think you should buy the tao of jkd if you want to get into to it. for three i believe that the only martial arts you have to go to school to learn are complex ones that have to many movements. but it's not bad to go to school for it i'm just saying for arts like jkd for people that already have backgrounds or not in martial arts then just following tao of jkd and practice and sparring alot will make you a good jkd fighter without school. but i guess school does make it easier, one of the reasons school makes it easier is that you'll have someone to spar with. but in my opinon if you take what you already know in martial arts and use books like the tao of jkd and the tao of gung fu as a guide then i think you could be a good jkd fighter without school just as long as you spar alot still. myself i practice a mix of basic wing chun and boxing i also have messed with a few control technics that may look like modefied akido and chin na. but i guess that's cool. i don't have a jkd school where i live so i couldn't go even if it sparked my interest. also i think chi sao is a very good tool for improving sensitivity and reaction speed. but in my opinon i consider myself to be a jkd fighter. i hope i have been of some help and i hope you do well in your training.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/16/05 02:25 AM

Many "Masters" never attained Black Belt level in a style before branching out on there own. Bruce Lee never completed a style, or came close. You have to be creative, dedicated, and scientific. With those three things you can learn and teach yourself many things.

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/16/05 02:27 AM

very true chen zen.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/20/05 05:13 PM

I think you are a JKD student but you are not a progressive JKD student most of your training involves striking and stand up skill, what about your ground & kicking skills. And what about your continued growth? You seem to have done the best with what you learned but I wonder how well have you tied it together is it seemless can you flow from one range to another. A JKD school or any progressive training school keeps you flowing with real ideas not wrote in a book 20-30 years ago but that are practice here and now.
Do you think that Bruce would still be that same Dragon?

I haven't studied JKD but I do study its concept and have an idea of what my JKD is about. I still would advises getting into a JKD club to stay affluent and progressive.
Testing what is effective is a big part of JKD.

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/21/05 12:01 PM

yes i know. this is true. i do need to study on ground fighting. but i don't plan to stop improving at all and if i pick something up that complements the way i fight then i will add it. i understand that i will always be in a constant change. that is how life works and i try to go with it. i stay open minded. and humble. just as we die and are born and born and we die, it's a cycle in which the beginning is the end and the end is the beginning. if i spelled anything wrong i'm sorry. i'm a bad speller. also thank you for your time.
Posted by: mantis_boxing

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 07/30/05 03:10 AM

i also strive to have the same attitude as you etaks humble and open minded. another thing i learned to appreciate recently is simplicity. that and in fighting use your common sense

Re: Is a Change Recommended? - 08/06/05 05:57 AM

well that's good. it's always good to have a humble attitude and an open mind.