Know anything about this?

Posted by: Chen Zen

Know anything about this? - 06/27/05 01:20 AM

Do any of you have imformation on Shaolin Pek Kwar? Ive found little on it other than it was practiced by shaolin who were to become imperial guards for the emperor. I understand its based on knife hands, ridge hands and sweeping, arcing motions. If any of you have some more detailed information it would be much appreciated.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Know anything about this? - 06/27/05 01:27 AM

Might get more info in the Kung Fu forum.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it has anything to do with JKD.

Re: Know anything about this? - 06/27/05 01:46 AM

Quote:

Might get more info in the Kung Fu forum.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it has anything to do with JKD.

LOL! How did I know I was going to get stuck with that one? In any case it is JKD related. I wish to find out more about it for MY JKD.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Know anything about this? - 06/27/05 09:15 AM

Yeah, after writing that first sentence I figured you weren't that dumb, hence the clarifier in sentence two

Hope you find something.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Know anything about this? - 06/30/05 07:32 AM

'Tai Shing Pek Kwar' is a combination of the rare art of Monkey kung fu (Tai Shing) and the secret kung fu system Shaolin Pek Kwar, which was taught only to emperor guards to protect the King in the royal palace. "Pek" means "chopping or downward arm or fist attack" and "Kwar" means "swinging or upward arm or fist attack," in Chinese. There are more than 50 Shaolin Pek Kwar fist and weapon forms. In general, it is a northern long fist style, which utilizes the total body. It has dynamic movements and explosive power. The 3 Core Pek Kwar Fist Form are the code of Shaolin Pek Kwar training. All emperor guards serve their country and will die for the country. Their kung fu can only be used to serve the country and should never be passed to anybody. If they violated this rule, they will be executed along with all of their family members. Therefore, Shaolin Pek Kwar was and still is a very secret system.

Shaolin Pek Kwar First Fist Form
The First Shaolin Pek Kwar form focus total body coordination, reflexes, stance training, movement and step. It is for fully understanding and fully controlling of our body. This is the foundation of all Shaolin Pek Kwar training.

Shaolin Pek Kwar Second Fist Form
The Second Shaolin Pek Kwar Fist Form emphasizes on jumping, kicking, accuracy and speed. The form composes of variety high kicks and jumps. The movements are as light as silk and fast like wind. This form is very important for imperial guards who were assigned to special assignation missions. They need to dress in black and cover their face to sneak into other palace to assassinate the general of their enemy at night. The best way to accomplish this mission was to get into the palace from the roof of the building by climbing up trees and jumping from wall to wall.

Shaolin Pek Kwar Third Fist Form
The third Shaolin Pek Kwar Form is mainly fighting techniques. With compete mastery of the first and second Pek Kwar fist, one should move and flow like silk. Next, it is time to learn how to use the explosive power of human body. Pek Kwar's third form is a fighting form, which every movement can train as an individual attack technique. If train individually or in combinations, Pek Kwar's third form become deadly and unbeatable. The form itself is by far the strongest and boldest kungfu form. However, the secret of total mastery and applicability of the form resides in the Pek Kwar fist training.'

You seem to share a common interest in less-known arts, the last ones being Tom Toy and Tak Mei. May I ask where you heard of Pek Kwar? I don't know of any existing schools for this style, the closest you could get would be a few books that have been published on the art.

Re: Know anything about this? - 07/01/05 01:59 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that. Learned a few things. I had actually known of Pek Kwar for some time but had never asked here simply because there was only a few of us here when I started and its not so well known. I have a big interest in lesser known arts as you mentioned. Striving for individuality in training. I knew of the Imperial gaurds use of it but didnt know the exact translation or that there was over 50 forms. The explanation I was given, was of chopping arches. In reference to the up and down that you mentioned. Since you asked, I was having a conversation with a Chinese man who sold MA weapons and supplies in a small shop that I frequented. He didnt divulge much other than that it was rather effective and highly secret. And he hinted that it was an imperial system, the rest I had to find on my own with little luck. Due to unfortunate circumstances his shop was lost and Ive yet to see him again to let him know what Ive found, so I decided to post here.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Know anything about this? - 07/01/05 03:06 AM

Yes, it's always good to have tricks up your sleeve that your opponent doesn't recognize. That's unfortunate about your friend's shop. Good luck with your training!
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Know anything about this? - 09/30/05 03:44 AM

Super duper old post but I should mention there's a Pek Kwar/Tai Sheng grandmaster living near Vancouver, BC, I can try to put you in contact with him or his son if anyone wants the info. Speaking chinese would be a benefit but not 100% required.

Re: Know anything about this? - 10/09/05 09:46 PM

Just a small drive of a couple thousand miles
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Know anything about this? - 10/10/05 02:21 AM

They offer a video course for the forms of pek kwar though. Hefty price.
Posted by: NRNS

Re: Know anything about this? - 10/30/05 02:42 PM

http://www.martialinfo.com/websites/monkeykungfu/menu.htm

this might help you contains basic moves history and principles