Taditional arts within JKD

Posted by: Chen Zen

Taditional arts within JKD - 06/27/05 01:17 AM

To all you JKD practitioners I have a question. Do you still practice a traditional martial art? IF so what do you practice and do you still practice it in a traditional manner?

Most of you will say no, Im sure. I still do though. I enjoy it. Right now I still practice Wing Chun and am working on Snake style Kung Fu. Its a seperate workout from my JkD though. I just think that you should have some artful flavor as well.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Taditional arts within JKD - 06/27/05 01:06 PM

Although I dont practice JKD, yet.
I can see that there would be benefits in studying a traditional MA in its context, if only for the reason that it goes deeper into the individual art, and may give you a better understanding of fighting concepts or the variations within.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Taditional arts within JKD - 06/27/05 02:41 PM

Can't say that I do. But even my base art (American kenpo) is not exactly considered traditional.

My main thrust now is trying to learn concepts or paradigms as opposed to complete arts, anyway. If I can pick up the theory, and apply it to my base, that is all that I am going after.

I feel this gives me more flexability in actually applying different arts.
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Taditional arts within JKD - 07/27/05 03:22 AM

I still practice siu lim tao form from time to time then practice a free form siu lim tao kind of like drills. as sad as it is i don't get to practice chi sao very often. there's no wing chun schools where i live right now. So i just practice the form and drills, and sometimes i spar with my brother. I like practiceing boxing also. and i'm thinking about learning tai chi or bagua. In a real fight i'd use whatever works. i've studied on lee's words to guide me in jkd. i guess for now the way i fight kind of looks like a mix of wing chun and boxing.
Posted by: Jay Q

Re: Taditional arts within JKD - 08/10/05 06:34 PM

This is a great topic because it is exactly the scenario that I'm faced with! I have a black belt in TKD and have spent several years with it. I trained at Dan Inosanto's academy (back when it was called IMB Academy) in Torrance, CA, in the 80's. Now I'm coming full circle again. I plan on training in my base traditional art while getting together with some guys to spar in the long, clinch, and grappling range.

Just trying to live out my own expression of JKD.

Keep up the good fight!
JQ
Posted by: 64445

Re: Taditional arts within JKD - 09/02/05 09:29 PM

i think practice should be done in a traditional manner, then free full sparring with pads so that you can get a good idea of the specific techniques that work for you. then you can enphesize the ones that you make your specialties. always need to get a perspective on effectiveness of somthing before assimilating it. get your freiends together after class and kick each others ass. with intensity and emotional content. dont forget to use broken rythem.

i do wing chun and quin na. also like jujitsu, aikiado, judo.