Wing Chun "Sticky Hands"

Posted by: chackrafool

Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 05:03 PM

I've been wanting to learn this drill for a long time but there are no wing tsun schools where i live.
Can somebody exlpain to me how to practice this.
I know you guard your center line and the basic stance but i need just a little more info about it before I can practice it with somebody successfully. Whats the point of the exercise? Do you try to touch the other persons chest?
Helppppp!
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 06:22 PM

Actually its very hard to explain how to practice it you just have to try it with someone who knows how to do it. The point of this excercise is to increase sensitivity in you arms. Advanced students or masters of wingchun can do this sticky hands blind folded. There are alot of chi sao drills that you can use to increase sensitivity in your arms. There are also other arts that is similiar to wingchuns sticky hands like from I believe either phillipino or Indonesian arts like Hubad lubad which is another sensitivity drill. Like I said its very hard to explain how to do it. Also wingchun is one of the styles that you cannot learn from a video or book you need someone who knows wing chun. Words cannot explain it you have to FEEL the flow.
Posted by: Petjut84

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 06:50 PM

yeah, there is absolutely no way to learn it unless you have been shown. Also, why would you want to learn it if you didnt have someone to show you why you need sticky hands? It is a means to an end. If you get in a trapping situation it helps. Many arts have their own version of sticky hands including kali, silat, tai chi, praying mantis, bagua and others. It is mostly for sensitivity so you can feel how to move around the attack instead of just fighting it and struggling. Here is a huge list of wing tsun videos where you can check out sticky hands and applications, some of the sticky hands done blindfolded.
http://www.wingtsunlinks.com/

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 07:07 PM

Thanks but i've got plenty of videos already. I've learned the first form from a video. I understand that a big part of the exersize is to feel, but there's always a way of explaining what is felt right?
I've been practicing martial arts for a while (taekwondo,kickboxing,BJJ,and others)and have 'tryed' the sticky hand exersize with friends(who don't know chia soa) but it dosen't feel right becuase I don't know what to work toward or what the short term point of the drill is. I know how it helps in real world situations, the trapping, the cut-offs, the emovable elbow and the four gates etc etc....
So I ask again...Can someone please 'attempt' an explanation of this drill to me? I'd really like to start practicing it with my other martial art buddies.
I know the starting position and the basic blocks in wing chun. Does that help any?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 09:52 PM

Sorry, my friend. the others are correct. There is no way to describe sensitivity. It is something you have to learn from doing.

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/21/05 11:43 PM

Grrrrr....So what does the Teacher do put you in the position and then say "Feel"?
Come on there's gotta be some instruction that somebody can give me, anything really, that'll help me more than a video will.
This makes me want to learn chi-sao even more now.
Posted by: Rumble

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/22/05 12:59 AM

Quote:

Grrrrr....So what does the Teacher do put you in the position and then say "Feel"?
Come on there's gotta be some instruction that somebody can give me, anything really, that'll help me more than a video will.
This makes me want to learn chi-sao even more now.

Basically yes thats why its called a sensitivity drill you have to feel the flow of your opponents energy so you know how to control and counter it and to develop your own energy flow and sensitivity.
Posted by: monji112000

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/22/05 10:54 AM

Chi sao..
Ok I will try were others have not:

This is all my opinion so if you opinion isn't in line with my ideas.. I will have to insist on my idea.

Chi Sao is not sparring.
Chi Sao is not trying to win.
Chi Sao is not a way of showing force.

The biggest benefit to Chi Sao is Tactile reaction. I can't see as fast as I can feel someone's hand move. So when your hand moves I can react fast, and counter that movement. When You or myself grabs,punches, blocks ect.. you cover one area and open another. Chi Sao practice should allow you to develop instinct as to “open” areas.
How do you practice Chi Sao..
basics are
one person has a Tan sao the other a fook sao. They stop each other, so when the Tan sao trys to hit (with the palm), the fook will drop to a jum sao, then try to attack the center with a punch. From the lower position the other will rise to a bong sao and then return to the beg. If you don't know these techniques.. I can't see how Chi Sao will worth your time.

Remember that you are NOT SPARING. Proper technique is more important than speed.
Sitting in your horse is the way you counter people who push in too hard. Never sacrifice your technique!

any questions?I would look into Duncan Leung's first Video.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/23/05 12:20 AM

Quote:

Chi sao..
Ok I will try were others have not:

This is all my opinion so if you opinion isn't in line with my ideas.. I will have to insist on my idea.

Chi Sao is not sparring.
Chi Sao is not trying to win.
Chi Sao is not a way of showing force.

The biggest benefit to Chi Sao is Tactile reaction. I can't see as fast as I can feel someone's hand move. So when your hand moves I can react fast, and counter that movement. When You or myself grabs,punches, blocks ect.. you cover one area and open another. Chi Sao practice should allow you to develop instinct as to “open” areas.
How do you practice Chi Sao..
basics are
one person has a Tan sao the other a fook sao. They stop each other, so when the Tan sao trys to hit (with the palm), the fook will drop to a jum sao, then try to attack the center with a punch. From the lower position the other will rise to a bong sao and then return to the beg. If you don't know these techniques.. I can't see how Chi Sao will worth your time.

Remember that you are NOT SPARING. Proper technique is more important than speed.
Sitting in your horse is the way you counter people who push in too hard. Never sacrifice your technique!

any questions?I would look into Duncan Leung's first Video.

Actually that was a pretty good description of how it should work. Your getting your body conditioned so that you can "sense" where the opponents limbs are and how his body is reacting so that you may take advantage of the situation effectively
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/23/05 10:37 AM

well, it's hard to do if you don't do it with someone who knows how. but i guess books or videos could help you since there is no wing chun schools around where you live. there's none where i live either there's like everything but wing chun around here anyway you should start off on the one arm chi sao until your good at that then move on to two arm practice. i mean i don't know there's this one book i've read with ip chun showing you how to do the first form and i think it shows how to do the first form better then alot of other books. i'm not a wing chun teacher or anything like that but i would explain chi sao as instinctive technic training. instinctive technic training because it's for sensitivity i mean it's sensitivity training but at the same time it's also instinctive technic training by this i mean that it is for training sensitivity and technic. they say you can tell how good someone is in wing chun by their chi sao they say if your chi sao is not good than your wing chun will not be good. because chi sao is to teach you how to be instinctive with your movement, that's what i think chi sao is really about is to teach you to be instinctive with your movements. sensitivity is somewhat to teach you quick response or instinct in reaction to your partners movements. so really in wing chun instincts and sensitivity are one in the same. but i don't just practice wing chun i only take from a style or form that which is simple and works well for me. the way i fight is me, if you saw me fight you might would see parts of boxing, and wing chun, but it's just me if i learn technic that does not feel natural enough then i will throw it away and forget about it, the end result of your martial arts i think should be a simple and basic way that is made up of elements from maybe even many styles and forms but i think the end result of martial arts should be many elements but only the ones that work well in self defence for you will remain. so i hope i helped you in someway with your chi sao. peace

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/25/05 12:23 AM

Great replies everyone, Thanks...I've got a better understanding now and will attempt to practice with a couple of buddies of mine. I've studied Taekwondo, kickboxing, jujitsu, eskrima, some rare esoteric arts and have taught kickboxing and Taekwondo. Although I feel well versed and happy with the practicallity of my arts, I have a great respect for Wing Chun and truly feel it is one of the more intelligent and ergonomically evolved arts out there. Hence my passion for learning chi sao.
Thanks again for the replys.
Posted by: etaks86

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 05/26/05 12:45 AM

thanks i hope you do well.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 06/01/05 09:57 AM

If you are genuinly interested in learning sticky hands PROPERLY there is no point in doing it without learning wing chun. I just met this dude in the park yesterday and he was all exited about doing sticky hands with him, and when i said fine and we put our hands together he just did random made up blocks and hits trying to freestyle.
You need to learn how to walk before you can run, and you need to learn wing chun before sticky hands.
Otherwise you are not learning sticky hands, and you are giving wing chun a bad name.
Its not a seperate part of wing chun that you can learn on its own, it is the accumulation of all the basic wing chun principles which you need to master before you do sticky hands.
Posted by: 64445

Re: Wing Chun "Sticky Hands" - 09/02/05 10:13 PM

it develops contact reflexes, so that after you cross the gap with an asking hand or foot, you can determine your opponents reaction via vibration and counter before he even reacts which makes you look like a mindreader and seems super fast because of it as well.(chi gurk) sticky feet, can also be used with the legs.