Training Routines

Posted by: DBZInspired

Training Routines - 05/17/05 07:32 PM

Please list your training routines for JKD.
If you can, list the amount of time you do each task.
I need some examples to follow since I'm new at this.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Training Routines - 05/18/05 01:01 PM

what does your JKD instructor advise?
Posted by: Austin

Re: Training Routines - 05/18/05 11:26 PM

If you haven't read any of the JKD books, there's one that has almost all training routines in it. Bruce Lee worked on his punch for two seperate days (not back-to-back), his legs two days, and sparring two other days. Just work out and stay in the best shape possible.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Training Routines - 05/20/05 05:55 AM

We do a lot of different things while trying to simplify everything.

Three ranges: stand-up, clinch and ground fighting are all required by ANY decent JKD man worth his salt. So time is spent working on those things. However it is hard to do all of them justice in one session -- WHEN you're either teaching or, you're trying to learn. Thus we break them down into segments many times. This is just called "isolation" training and is critical for skill development.

We always start out working and warming up on focus pads. Done right, they can get you moving and get your heart beating. Then we progress to glove drills and light sparring. What occurs in those drills is limited only to one's imagination. However, there is almost always some level of resistance being offered by the individuals training.

Since we're training the three ranges, a session may look like this:

Shadow boxing
    Focus pad work (to develop combos and defensive structure)
    Glove drills (for combos and defense, done more alive now)
    Closing the distance
    Pummeling for control in the clinch
    Strikes from the clinch
    Takedowns from the clinch
    Working for dominant ground positions
    Fighting from dominant ground positions (which includes, striking and submissions)
    Defensive training from the ground - on the bottom (to include escapes from inferior positions)
    Guard work, both offensive and defensive

Then:
    Weapons training (single stick/knife)
    Empty hand vs. blade/blunt instrument
    Mulitple attacker scenarios

*Whew*

Thats a lot of stuff eh? I'm sure I am missing something to but that about covers it.

And of course, the program is always evolving.

Good training to you.

-John
Posted by: DBZInspired

Re: Training Routines - 05/26/05 04:18 PM

Are there any conditioning routines you do like jogging or weight lifting, and how many days of the week do you do them?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Training Routines - 05/27/05 06:05 PM

Yep -

It's called various names. A coach of mine called it 30/30/30 or, Triple 30. What you do is, 30 seconds of explosive exercise (all-out, at high intensity). Examples of which might be (but aren't included to) sprawls, heavy bag flurries, knee-highs, mountain climbers, push-ups, sit-ups, or whatever. Just do them as hard and as intensely as you can.

After the 30 seconds, take a 30 second "active rest" (which means, slow jogging, etc). After the 30 second active rest, immediately perform another 30 seconds of intense activity. Repeat until you can't go any further. If you can go 15 minutes, you're fit enough for most any fight you might ever encounter.

Don't over-do it in the beginning. Gradually work to increase your time and you'll be all set.

-John
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Training Routines - 05/28/05 03:32 AM

The one thing you missed John was freeform sparring. As in sparring not as a drill to a technique, but as a match or fight. But you hit it on the head anyways.

Me personally, I dont schedule out my training. Tuesday isnt arms or legs day, its just tuesday and what I feel like working with that day is what I do. I can make a great routine. One that, if stuck to, could produce a highly effective fighter. i was just never good at going by a schedule. When you have to think about it too much it doesnt feel natural.
Posted by: sean_lee

Re: Training Routines - 05/30/05 01:51 PM

Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend