JKD in China

Posted by: Ayub

JKD in China - 05/16/05 09:26 AM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew about the JKD situation In China? JKD was thought up in the West and I was under the impression that the dislike by classical martial artists would be much more so in China (apart from a few die hard practioners), than in other parts of the world. Is this true, whats it like there? Also does anyone know of any JKD schools in Beijing?

Ayub
Posted by: ta_kuan_dao

Re: JKD in China - 06/16/05 11:30 PM

I think it is only highly unlikely that there are any JKD schools in China. JKD is primarily western and also it doesn't has any set, regular forms and routines or head organizations like other styles, so it is hard to determine what is JKD. Simply mastering different styles and combining them could be considered JKD, and many masters in Asia do that without calling or considering it JKD. However, in China, most mainstream martial arts training is pretty much systemized by the government into wushu. So most martial arts in mainland China are wushu as opposed to traditional kung fu.
Posted by: Fluid_Motion

Re: JKD in China - 06/17/05 12:08 AM

JKD is a martial art, which has its own structure to go by. There's a group in HK if you're not too far. www.jkd.com.hk